secrets from your job

Page 16 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nova2

Feb 3, 2006
akshatp said:
Work in the NOC for a major pharmaceutical firm. Make sure all the servers are up and running, apps not
erroring out, swap out bad drives, coordinate change controls, etc.

But for the most part, i watch movies Nights are usually slow in the NOC, so after midnight we usually sleep
or watch movies or downloaded TV shows

intogamer

Lifer
Dec 5, 2004
Originally posted by: Tizyler
I used to work at a credit card processing gateway. This particular company has over 150,000 merchants. A couple of the people on this very thread worked for companies who's transactions were handled by us.

I could order something online from any of these merchants, then void the transfer after they shipped and never pay--and nobody would ever, ever know.

Holy crap can you void my Newegg transfer?

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: nova2
akshatp said:
Work in the NOC for a major pharmaceutical firm. Make sure all the servers are up and running, apps not
erroring out, swap out bad drives, coordinate change controls, etc.

But for the most part, i watch movies Nights are usually slow in the NOC, so after midnight we usually sleep
or watch movies or downloaded TV shows

wow, that's totally my job too :p (though I work for a web hosting company)

we're in the midst of setting up a brand new facility from scratch right now, so things are kind of crazy, but once all the infrastructure is in place, my job will be pretty much auto-pilot. 5-6 new setups a day and sitting in the noc watching movies in between and on the weekends :p

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
My job involves networked printers and Mac workstations. I study while at work.

intogamer

Lifer
Dec 5, 2004
Originally posted by: SoundTheSurrender
My friend at a certain store works in the meat department. If the customer is a big time asshole they will do bad stuff to your meat. If you're nice, they will treat my meat with care.

Hahha "treat my meat with care"

Sassy

Aug 24, 2004
I work with a bunch of powerful superhero midgets disguised as severely/multiply disabled and chronically, terminally ill patients. Their special abilities consist of, but are not limited to, mind-control, ESP, reality warping, merging, invisibility, love and strength.

They only reveal the secrets of their powers to a few nurses and parent?s who are dedicated to their care. They?ve entrusted me not to reveal these secrets. If I tell you, they?ll know. They know everything. :p

Kalmah

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2003
We have a website.. so stop calling to ask stupid questions! If you looked up the phone number on the website, surely you can find the address as well since it is right beside the phone number.

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
Most of the ceiling-mounted security camera bubbles at Wal*Mart are empty. At least where I used to work.

James Bond

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2005
Originally posted by: intogamer
quote:
Originally posted by: Tizyler
I used to work at a credit card processing gateway. This particular company has over 150,000 merchants. A couple of the people on this very thread worked for companies who's transactions were handled by us.

I could order something online from any of these merchants, then void the transfer after they shipped and never pay--and nobody would ever, ever know.

Holy crap can you void my Newegg transfer?

Actually, NewEgg was the largest merchant we had. Along with Blizzard and Alienware.

And yes, I could have. And no, nobody would ever know.

jdoggg12

Platinum Member
Aug 20, 2005
If you get upset, unreasonably, you'll get put on hold while i post on ATOT, look at myspace and finally come back and tell you that my manager is busy with another customer. (In fact this post was inspired by by the guy who's on hold now)

<-- Tech support/analyst

RedCOMET

Platinum Member
Jul 8, 2002
holy crap this is an old thread. i remember poster something about blockbuster on the first page.... i hope it actually worked people seeing as How i never followed with this thread nor got any angry PMs about my post.

alas, i have left blockbuster behind for the oil and gas industry... and I'm not special enought to know any secrets in this industry.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Holy thread resurrection batman.

If you talk to me on the phone and then ask for a manager I will put you on hold for 5 minutes and then talk to you in a slightly different voice

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Valet secrets...from a different time...

We will not steal (most of) your shit. Exceptions are as follows:
- pens, if we need a pen
- gum, if we need gum
- drugs, if we can find them

if you have a fast car, we will drive it. fast.

if you have a vehicle that looks like an offroad vehicle, it will be taken offroad.

we only run until you can't see us...
unless you tip us first

if you tip us enough, we will do almost anything.

if you are a jackass and we remember you, expect to wait a long time for your car.

if you are CONSISTENTLY a jackass, expect bad, BAD things to happen to your car.

knowing how to drive a stick shift is not a prerequisite to driving your manual transmission car...

in fact, many learn how to drive stick on the job

most damage is left unreported...

so you should ALWAYS inspect your car before leaving the lot

Here's a tip for you guys that valet your car and care-

tip the valet when you drop off your car. tip the valet when you pick up your car, BEFORE he goes and runs off to get it.

beguile

Oct 28, 2004
Originally posted by: NeuroSynapsis

tip the valet when you drop off your car. tip the valet when you pick up your car, BEFORE he goes and runs off to get it.

You mean tip the valet twice before and when you pick up your car? Here's a person tip from me, if something happened to you car when you drop it off for valet, speak with the manager in charge and get the shady kid fired.

You need to go back to college and retake your english course again. Clearly, you demonstrate your inability to write proper english.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Originally posted by: beguile

You mean tip the valet twice before and when you pick up your car? Here's a person tip from me, if something happened to you car when you drop it off for valet, speak with the manager in charge and get the shady kid fired.

You need to go back to college and retake your english course again. Clearly, you demonstrate your inability to write proper english.

actually i just don't give a shit. this is fucking ATOT, you want me to type my posts in MLA format or something?

You can talk to the manager if you want, but w/o proof they're not going to be able to do anything. Not to mention, do you WANT to deal with that hassle? Sure you'll get your car repaired, after 2 weeks of BS and a few days w/o your car.

I'm telling it like it is, you can sit there and pick at my english or you can take the post for what it's worth.

I would say 75% of all cars handled by valet's are handled problem free. 25% are dinged, mainly door dings. You valet ticket pays us to do the bare minimum, which is park your car in a stall. ANY stall. a dollar or two at the beginning might net your brand new 911 turbo parked across 3 stalls in the back corner of the lot instead of between a pair of ford excursions tucked in compact stalls.

A few bucks before you pick up your car might mean a 2 minute wait vs a 30 minute wait.

Kirby

Lifer
Apr 10, 2006
If your ATM card is not on us and it gets stuck in the machine, we have to destroy it. I doesn't matter if you come in 5 seconds after we get it, we still cut it in half.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Some more...

Your keys are often left inside the vehicle, until it is parked in the parking lot.
Your car is usually locked...
...USUALLY
The keys are almost never safeguarded
If you tip us, we NEVER look/check your ticket when claiming the vehicle

Valet translations
"take care of my car", no boot: we will treat your car like every other fucking car we see
"take care of my car, plus small additional consideration: we will not abuse your car and park it in a manner which presents the smallest likelihood of damage to your vehicle
"take car of my car", plus substantial consideration: we will park your car 5 feet away for your, mister VIP you

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Originally posted by: nkgreen
If your ATM card is not on us and it gets stuck in the machine, we have to destroy it. I doesn't matter if you come in 5 seconds after we get it, we still cut it in half.

"not on us"?

Kirby

Lifer
Apr 10, 2006

"not on us"?

You have a debit card from Bank XYZ. We're Bank ABC.

SearchMaster

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2002

"not on us"?

You have a debit card from Bank XYZ. We're Bank ABC.

I had another bank's ATM eat my card. They held it for me to pick up the next day.