Question Screen Flicker When Setting Refresh Rate Above 60hz

gruberhans

Sep 26, 2020
Hi,

As the title suggests, my monitor screen flickers very badly when I set the refresh rate in Display Settings of Windows 10 64bit to anything above 60hz. I'm using a Pixio Prime PX7 monitor. I am on the latest BIOS version.

I have tried downgrading the display driver, and then it works at higher refresh rate, but only until I restart the PC. Then it starts flickering again. The flickering is more apparent in games, than on the desktop, but its there. I have also tried changing the the display port, but to no avail.

Please see the video for reference of what I'm talking about. How do I confirm if the problem is with the graphics card or the monitor? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Specs:
Ryzen 3700
Asus TUF x570
Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT
16gb T-Force Ram
Corsair RM750x

Edit: The attached video was a screen capture, which didn't show the screen flickers, but it does show that the frames drop to 20-30 fps when there is a flicker. Here is the video from my phone. Apologies for the shaky camera

fralexandr

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2007
www.flickr.com
some easy things to check.
Try running windows Event Viewer and checking windows system logs for error events. I've had similar things happen in games, though haven't noticed any issues at desktop, and for me it's usually my AMD display driver crashing and restarting itself.

Try using the other input cable type. I'm guessing you're using the supplied DisplayPort cable so try connecting an HDMI 2.0 Cable instead.

You could also try connecting another device capable of >60hz output.

Last edited:

gruberhans

Sep 26, 2020
some easy things to check.
Try running windows Event Viewer and checking windows system logs for error events. I've had similar things happen in games, though haven't noticed any issues at desktop, and for me it's usually my AMD display driver crashing and restarting itself.

Try using the other input cable type. I'm guessing you're using the supplied DisplayPort cable so try connecting an HDMI 2.0 Cable instead.

You could also try connecting another device capable of >60hz output.

The windows Event Viewer doesn't show any errors when i switch to 144hz from 60 hz. Waited for 15 minutes to see if there were any.

Used a HDMI cable, but it did not help, the screen flicker is still present.

Unfortunately I don't have access to any other high refresh rate displays.

Does the fact that the screen flicker doesnt show up on the screen capture points to a problem with the monitor? I'm at my wits end here. Is it better to just contact the monitor manufacturer and ask for a replacement and will they do it without knowing the root cause?

Last edited: