Scenario: You had only one type canned food to stock your doomsday shelter

Mayne

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2014
I'd probably kill myself in a few months of eating this shit.

887901_ChkyChili_HotSp_425g.png

I'm eating a can tonight with some stupid hot ghost pepper sauce my friend makes.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
The only food at all, or the only thing in a can? For the only thing at all, I'd look at the labels for the most balanced nutrition, disregarding taste. Only thing in a can, I'd probably go for potatoes. If you want to stretch the definition of "canned", I'll take MREs every time.

Mayne

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2014
The only food at all, or the only thing in a can? For the only thing at all, I'd look at the labels for the most balanced nutrition, disregarding taste. Only thing in a can, I'd probably go for potatoes. If you want to stretch the definition of "canned", I'll take MREs every time.

but so far we have campbell's chili and chef boyardee ravioli. damn dude, i'm glad this is a solo scenario.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
If I only had one to chose from, it'd probably be the most versatile meat that the Russians ever invented to save their own ass's. Although, I don't like pork, but in a live or die starving situation I'm not going out as a pussy because I don't care for pork.

Spam_can.png

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Lots of nitrites. That shit'll give you cancer. I love spam, but wouldn't want to subsist off of it.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
If I only had one to chose from, it'd probably be the most versatile meat that the Russians ever invented to save their own ass's. Although, I don't like pork, but in a live or die starving situation I'm not going out as a pussy because I don't care for pork.

Spam_can.png

Russians didn't invent spam, USA did.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I saw this thread and had to stop by and after reading it I have a couple of questions. Is Mayne eating doomsday chili without any thought of the aftermath? Do you have a latrine dug in your shelter and do you have lots of TP on hand? What about hand sanitizer? Will you allow some of the outsiders from the school yard into the shelter with you?:hearteyecat:

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
I also must go with ravioli... it's got tomato sauce, "cheese", pasta, and maybe some scraps of meat.

Spam is too salty for daily eating. Beans are boring. Chili is okay, that'd be my plan B.

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
Shit, didn't think of that. I'll change my taters for kippered herring. I just bought a flat of them today

Sardines and kippered herring aren't quite the same thing. But I eat the hell out of kipper snacks too.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
That would be a tough one. I could probably tolerate eating Cambells chicken noodle or their potato soup over n over but it's certainly not healthy though nothing out of a can really would be. However that Spam, certainly a lot of flavors though I never liked the original. I did try bacon once and fried up it was ok, not sure about the others.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Sardines and kippered herring aren't quite the same thing. But I eat the hell out of kipper snacks too.
My preference is herring, but I'll take sardines. The best sardines I've had I got from BigLots years ago. They were French made, and packed in olive oil. Some were also packed with a chili pepper. Can't remember the brand, but I've never seen them in a store. They had an attractively painted orange tin.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
Russians didn't invent spam, USA did.

I guess I thought that because of this:

SPAM was invented in the late-Depression era, in 1937, which may explain at least some of why it seemed like a good idea: people were desperate. According to Nikita Khrushchev's book, Khrushchev Remembers, SPAM was a godsend for another hungry group — Russian soldiers in World War II. For a further illustration of how bad things were, British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher "“ who we really, really can't imagine eating SPAM — reportedly once referred to it as a "wartime delicacy."

http://mentalfloss.com/article/20997/origin-spam-food-spam-email