Scenario: You had only one type canned food to stock your doomsday shelter

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Tequila

Oct 24, 1999
jk9bB5i.jpg

OMG. It looks like a canned facehugger!

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Potatoes wont keep you alive, they have basically no protein.

Wrong. Potatoes are a good source of protein.

You may not turn to them for protein, yet a large baked potato has as much protein as a serving of cheddar cheese. They also supply magnesium, potassium, folate, vitamin B-6 and vitamin C. In spite of their nutritional value, be aware that baked potatoes cause a big spike in blood sugar.

The Irish nation survived on them as their main staple until the crop failed. They formed the bulk of the combat diet of the Wehrmacht in WWII, and the German nation survived the aftermath of the war, basically for years, on potatoes and cabbage.

Reactions: MongGrel

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
The Irish nation survived on them as their main staple until the crop failed. They formed the bulk of the combat diet of the Wehrmacht in WWII, and the German nation survived the aftermath of the war, basically for years, on potatoes and cabbage.

Did they get the scurvy?

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Did they get the scurvy?

Probably.

Limes are always good for that, but not always available. The tonic (quinine) for malaria also.

But you know what I mean I suppose. The term Limey did not pop of thin air at any rate.

gin-and-tonic.jpg

Last edited:

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
Wrong. Potatoes are a good source of protein.

Interesting.

Honestly, if I were to look for a basic crop to add to that, I might look at peanuts, which are a great source of fiber and protein. They also have lots of fats and micro-nutrients.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Interesting.

Honestly, if I were to look for a basic crop to add to that, I might look at peanuts, which are a great source of fiber and protein. They also have lots of fats and micro-nutrients.
Seems like the confederate army had a food staple consisting largely of peanuts during he civil war.

1sikbITCH

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
Considering the whole world is a nuclear wasteland and I'm trapped in this hole until I die:

yuengling-traditional-lager1.jpg

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

Humpy

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2011
Considering the whole world is a nuclear wasteland and I'm trapped in this hole until I die:

yuengling-traditional-lager1.jpg

It took till post #62 in a Mayne thread about canned food until someone brought up beer.

WTF ATOT?

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Sardines, so I could use them to catch some actual fucking food.

If we're talking radioactive superapocalypse where I can't leave? Soylent. Technically not canned, but bagged, whatever. As long as I have a valid water source of course.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Beer is a beverage, not canned food?

The Egyptians and numerous other precursors aside, beer was brewed by monks in the middle ages also as a food . . . as a way to extend the use of what grains they had. At least, in those times of food scarcity, that was one of their excuses! ;)

At this point in time, water was unsanitary and carried a whole host of diseases. The act of brewing beer sanitized the water and added many important nutrients into the beverage. Beer (and wine) were safe to drink and an important part of everyone’s everyday diet.

Beer was spread through Europe by Germanic and Celtic tribes as far back as 3000 BC,[28] and it was mainly brewed on a domestic scale.[29] The product that the early Europeans drank might not be recognised as beer by most people today. Alongside the basic starch source, the early European beers might contain fruits, honey, numerous types of plants, spices and other substances such as narcotic herbs.[30] What they did not contain was hops, as that was a later addition, first mentioned in Europe around 822 by a Carolingian Abbot[31] and again in 1067 by Abbess Hildegard of Bingen.[32]

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
That's bully for them, but I stand by my... stand... that modern beer is not food :colbert:

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Sanitation notwithstanding, most beer takes more water to process than it gives you, so you cannot hydrate off it. There's a threshold, prolly somewhere around 2% ABV where under, it can hydrate you (and be mostly clean of pathogens/bacteria).. over, and it dehydrates you. Now having said that, it would be a great idea to learn *how* to brew in the event of said apocalypse. Beer could go a long way toward ingratiating yourself after the 99% gets euthanized, and everyone starts trading x for bullets/bottlecaps.