Scenario: You are attacked by an unarmed thug

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Spartan Niner
Originally posted by: TheNewbie
Originally posted by: Babbles
Originally posted by: mrrman
I have martial arts training...so no knife

I just love retarded replies like this.
I bet you're like 140lbs. tough guy... lol people like you can get injured if someone farts on them a little too strong.
You lame fuck, it's people like you who'll be running to their mommy first.

I think the only retarded reply involved here is the one from TheNewbie.

I've had martial arts training (omg maybe a fart can knock me down too) and we even had some classes on tanto use, but I would not feel comfortable at all in using a knife in a fight. I studied jujutsu and knife fighting is not a technique that is immediately applicable. It is not totally unreasonable, nor especially 'retarded,' for other people who studied martial arts to realize that they really don't know anything about fighting with a knife and therefore would be better off not using that knife.

I'd take you and any other ninja-wannabe with a knife and carve a nice "STFU" all over your face.
Are you aware, that retards oh sorry, I mean people who take martial arts classes usually end up hurting themselfs much more than people who didn't. Because martial arts takes what little you and the like had for brains out, and it tells you you're a certified ninja, so you end up getting yourself into situations most people with brains would avoid, thinking you'll pull a couple of ninja stunts and stun your victim.

The only martial arts a man ever needs can be found on this page

You can't draw a gun on me, disengage safety, and fire at me in <1.5 seconds. I'd knock you out cold before that happened.

:confused:

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Originally posted by: CadetLee
Originally posted by: Spartan Niner
Originally posted by: Babbles

I just love retarded replies like this.
I bet you're like 140lbs. tough guy... lol people like you can get injured if someone farts on them a little too strong.
You lame fuck, it's people like you who'll be running to their mommy first.

I think the only retarded reply involved here is the one from TheNewbie.

I've had martial arts training (omg maybe a fart can knock me down too) and we even had some classes on tanto use, but I would not feel comfortable at all in using a knife in a fight. I studied jujutsu and knife fighting is not a technique that is immediately applicable. It is not totally unreasonable, nor especially 'retarded,' for other people who studied martial arts to realize that they really don't know anything about fighting with a knife and therefore would be better off not using that knife.

I'd take you and any other ninja-wannabe with a knife and carve a nice "STFU" all over your face.
Are you aware, that retards oh sorry, I mean people who take martial arts classes usually end up hurting themselfs much more than people who didn't. Because martial arts takes what little you and the like had for brains out, and it tells you you're a certified ninja, so you end up getting yourself into situations most people with brains would avoid, thinking you'll pull a couple of ninja stunts and stun your victim.

The only martial arts a man ever needs can be found on this page

You can't draw a gun on me, disengage safety, and fire at me in <1.5 seconds. I'd knock you out cold before that happened.

:confused:

This specific person. Obviously does not apply to everyone (I could draw and fire more quickly)

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Originally posted by: huberm
according to the Tueller Drill, an assailant can traverse 21' in 1.5 seconds. This would NOT be enough time to get a knife out.

In almost all situations, the best thing to do is run. A battle never fought is a battle that is won.

If you can't run, brace yourself and get ready for an attack. Learn how to deflect blows and to protect yourself. At this point, if the fight has become severely escalated and you begin fearing for your life, it is reasonable to use deadly force (ie knife or gun). The only problem with a knife is you have a huge risk of 1)it doesn't kill the assailant, only makes him more angry, or 2)he takes it from you and stabs you. Therefore my suggestion would be to have a concealed firearm available.

Keep in mind, if you use that knife too soon you'll be charged for murder most likely.

Back to the Tueller Drill. It takes a skilled person about 3 seconds to produce a handgun from a concealed holster. This means he/she would barely be able to get it out if the assailant started 50' away. Ideally, you should consider at least 75' a danger zone.....

I will also refer back to this post - 3 seconds is not a long time, but it's too long in this scenario.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Just an FYI for those that may end up in this situation...don't think stabbing as much as slicing with a non-locking blade. Also don't leave you fingers where the blade can close. You strike at any kind of wrong angle and you will be the one cut worse.

I'd leave the knife in my pocket or if I felt the need to use it use it as something to strike with closed.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: d33pt
you'd drop the knife trying to fiddle with it to get it open. i doubt you'll be able to flip open a cheap pocket knife in time before he kicks your ass. maybe if it was a butterfly knife or something...not a walmart 3" folding knife.

For those that use knives regularly they can have even the crappiest knife open in about 1 sec tops.

Those talking about shooting the dude, either don't have guns...don't understand the laws or just trying to be funny.

potato28

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
If he has me on the ground, I'll stab him in the foot or the leg or the arm. If I can run, I'll run my skinny ass off.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Originally posted by: DangerAardvark
Originally posted by: GuideBot

As do I, but I'd still rather lunge at the neck with the knife first before I step-behind-side-kick his ass!

Step-behind-side-kick? Seems like a lot of steps just to kick a guy. I, personally would just do a quarter-rounded-knee-bend-stepping-jump-elbow... kick.

Haha :laugh:

There's no better name for it in English. It's the strongest ground-based kick in the entire TKD arsenal.