Scenario: You are attacked by an unarmed thug

FP

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
Assailant is approaching quickly from about 25 feet away.

You have a 3.5" folding pocket knife in your pocket you always carry with you.

Do you run the other direction or do you stand and fight.

If you choose to fight, do you involve the knife?

If you involve the knife, do you go for piercing damage which will likely cause mortal wounds or do you go for slicing wounds that will most likely disable?

Do you hold the knife in your dominant hand or keep your dominant hand available for punching?

I have no knife fighting experience but was wondering this on my daily walk today.

Discuss.

iroast

Golden Member
May 5, 2005
You run. Attack only when cornered. Not worth the legal hassle or the guilt of possibly killing someone.

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
Stab and twist, stab and twist.

How do you know for SURE that the assailant is unarmed? He might have a knife in his pocket, too. Or a gun.

FP

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
Originally posted by: Pacfanweb
Stab and twist, stab and twist.

How do you know for SURE that the assailant is unarmed? He might have a knife in his pocket, too. Or a gun.

He is in a wife beating and board shorts. No obvious signs of a weapon.

I am unsure if involving the knife would be a good idea. Takes it to a new level. Plus I have no experience stabbing anyone but have been in a few fights so having both hands would be nice.

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
run away if possible. If you know the knife wont trade hands, use if necessary.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
This happened to a Harvard student several years ago. He was attacked by two punks and pulled out a knife and killed one of them. He was convicted for murder and is currently appealing.

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Hmmmm, I wonder if you are certified as a Black Belt in Karate and you kill someone in self defense, who does not possess the same skills, if you would be convicted of murder?

CDC Mail Guy

Golden Member
May 2, 2005
you stay and use your knife on an unarmed man. he takes it away from you, slices your throat, takes your wallet, rapes your wife/gf and then does what you SHOULD have done...run away.

SpunkyJones

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2004
Run away, you don't gain anything from fighting if you don't have to. If your cornered or trapped, well, then anything it takes to get home safely.

soydios

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2006
disabling slicing wounds at first
if the attacker is persistent, then I'm going to stab him

nismotigerwvu

Golden Member
May 13, 2004
if he's bum rushing go with a straight kick to the midsection...if it gets crotch it gets crotch but aim more a windbreaking gut buster.....if he's still charging give a swift elbow stike to the temple and follow back down to the exposed throat...if he took all that and wants more I'd go buy him a beer

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
Some of these people aren't realizing that 25' isn't that large of a distance. If you know he's looking for a fight, just turn, run straight at him like a mad-man yelling like you're on fire. Stab vulnerable points, go for the sides near the kidneys and then the throat. If he's still fighting (could be due to drugs) cut the tendons under the arms and behind the knees. He won't be moving for a while.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: kindest
what good would come from stabbing or fightning someone for no reason.

some dude attacking you is "no reason"?
hell you're probably one of those people that would stab yourself so you don't inconvenience the criminal by making him take the time to disarm you and stab you himself.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Originally posted by: compuwiz1
Hmmmm, I wonder if you are certified as a Black Belt in Karate and you kill someone in self defense, who does not possess the same skills, if you would be convicted of murder?

On the East Coast, yes, probably. They all have such an elitest and holier than thou attitude.

erikistired

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2000
if you pull the knife on the guy chances are he's gonna leave you alone. if he still wants to attack, he knows what he's in for.

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
I would stab him in the eye with the knife, then jam my big ass thumb in his other eye.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
if running was viable, that would be first, but as mentioned, 25 ft is really only like two car lengths away. And realistically, if someone is willing to attack you, you are probably a little ways off from any real safety.

if it comes down to using the knife, my carry is a curved/hooked style, if he appears unarmed, i will slash the torso. If he has ANY weapon, I will go for the throat.