Question Scalping is bad, mmmm'k Newegg?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 4, 2009
There's nothing worse in life than a forced meme. It's enjoyable here because of the community and all of the people who understand the joke and will have a good chuckle over it.

The rest of the internet wouldn't and trying to ram it down their throats is pointless. So quit trying to make "fetch" happen.

Dunno man. This is a pretty solid meme even if I didn’t know Larry.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Well, the card in the OP only has 4GB, so it CAN'T MINE ETH, the currently most-profitable coin. So these are not really the object of the miner's eye, as far as card purchases go. (*)

It can mine RVN, so that's probably why, I didn't notice the "Super" originally, the card that I purchased for $255 a few months ago was the GTX 1650 Gaming X (non-Super) variant. Apparently, the "Super" can mine RVN a little bit better than the regular.

There was a YT video put out, about the best cards to buy and the best method to spec-mine RVN, in order to become a millionaire in two years, if the coin went from $0.10 to $10.00 (which it well may, I hope that it does). The procedure essentially involved buying like 6-8 GTX 1650 Super cards, and building a rig, and letting it sit on RVN for two years.

I have a server chassis with five GTX 1660 ti cards, which can also mine RVN fairly well, I've been temped to go that route with them (spec-mine RVN directly), rather than mine ETH with NH for BTC. It would reduce my short-term earnings by a bit, but it might be really profitable down the line.

(*) Edit: To add, getting a few RX 6600XT cards at release, for $400-500 would seem to be a nearly infinitely-better choice of cards to buy. Roughly the same price as these GTX 1650 Super cards,. mines better / more efficiently, and games better, for around the same price point.

Although, the GTX 1650 Super IS AVAILABLE, which is more than can be said for some cards.

Soo.... basically you're complaining about the price spike in video cards while simultaniously being the primary reason WHY these video cards are overpriced. Weird.

• Haha
Reactions: AnitaPeterson

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Soo.... basically you're complaining about the price spike in video cards while simultaniously being the primary reason WHY these video cards are overpriced. Weird.
iu

:p

Reactions: AnitaPeterson

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
There's nothing worse in life than a forced meme. It's enjoyable here because of the community and all of the people who understand the joke and will have a good chuckle over it.

The rest of the internet wouldn't and trying to ram it down their throats is pointless. So quit trying to make "fetch" happen.

- That being said, I just submitted the definition to Urban Dictionary...

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011

Exactly. I didn't even bother to track down the original post from Larry that was the reason for @GodisanAtheist coming up with the law. It has a ring to it that really sticks and the meme stands on it's own merits. This is also a good thing because I don't want Larry thinking I'm making fun of him, which believe me, I'm not. I'd even argue that Moore's law is so famous not only because it's been pretty much true, but because it has a sound to it that just flows off the tongue. It has a ring to it that certainly helped it become so widely cited outside of tech/academic circles. Most people who cite Moore's law probably don't even know who Moore is or what the law even means. They just cite it because they think computers should get faster next gen and some guy Moore said so. Imagine if Moore's name was Dundelburg. How many people would be constantly citing Dundelburg's law?
Now, let me introduce you to Larry. Larry is a social scientist who completed undergrad work in information theory to compliment his research. He studied the complex web of human social interactions and technology and how that web is weaved in real time. After decades of research and adding the current state of affairs to his formulas, he arrived at his new Law. That's the guy and the law is called Larry's law.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
lol.... my most hated meme...

i remember my guild leader when i played WOW, our War Leader would pump that music over his mic and we would rage for him to STFU.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011

Perhaps you've misunderstood. My objection isn't to the meme itself, rather trying to spread it inorganically to the rest of the internet or wider world. If it's truly clever others will naturally use it themselves. If you try to force it into every place and conversation other people will just look at you funny.

If it's organic it will mutate. Maybe no one cites Larry's Law, but every time a GPU thread devolves into a mining discussion some says that the thread's been Larried. Memes will take on a life if their own because no one can really be said to own or to control them.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Larry's Law in action (not my doing):

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Newegg is now asking $1,900 for 3080 Ti's in their daily shuffle. That's matching the scalper pricing for those cards on EBay! Insane!

If they didn't, the card would go to a scalper and it would end up on ebay anyway. This is what people are willing to pay. There's probably a million people dying for their chance to pay $2000 for a 3080Ti. I can't wait to see the 4000 series pricing. If Nvidia doesn't at least double msrp across the board they should be sued into oblivion by their shareholders. The msrp is too low for every 3000 series card by a factor of 3. Yes, by a factor of 3. The 3090's would still sell out at $4500.

nosurprises

Jan 4, 2021
But the question becomes, why participate in the Shuffle? You can buy it at ebay, and you're guarantee to get it if you want it at that price.

I think GPUs are not for gaming any more. It's for mining. If you want to game you use a console. I blame Vitalik Buterin.

Reactions: VirtualLarry
Feb 4, 2009
But the question becomes, why participate in the Shuffle? You can buy it at ebay, and you're guarantee to get it if you want it at that price.

I think GPUs are not for gaming any more. It's for mining. If you want to game you use a console. I blame Vitalik Buterin.
Shuffle kind of sucks because you have to enter to win a chance to buy something which makes it suck more however you can get an unbundled card at retail. I scored a 3060 for a friend a few weeks ago.
Took about two months of both of us bidding to be chosen.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005

there is sometimes issues with warrenty when you buy from second party like on ebay.
Even when you buy from market place on amazon or newegg, you can run into issue with warrenty unless it says sold by: newegg/amazon.

This is why i will NEVER buy a item on ebay, unless its second hand used and cheap, where i know warrenty wont be an issue, as i'll just toss it out if its dead and done.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011

Yep, clearly. The nature of the devices has changed from an entertainment device to a financial device. They are more important now and worth more than before. They are in greater demand now because they are digital money printers. Getting a parallel processor for 1/3 of what it's worth just to play games with it is a pipe dream. Those days are over. That's like your kid wanting a real bobcat for $20.00 so they can build really cool sandcastles in the backyard. Yeah, that would be cool, but that's just not happening. Maybe a few rich people can afford to do that, but not enough for it to really be a popular thing, just like gaming with a parallel processor ad-in card is no longer a thing.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Yep, clearly. The nature of the devices has changed from an entertainment device to a financial device. They are more important now and worth more than before. They are in greater demand now because they are digital money printers. Getting a parallel processor for 1/3 of what it's worth just to play games with it is a pipe dream. Those days are over. That's like your kid wanting a real bobcat for $20.00 so they can build really cool sandcastles in the backyard. Yeah, that would be cool, but that's just not happening. Maybe a few rich people can afford to do that, but not enough for it to really be a popular thing, just like gaming with a parallel processor ad-in card is no longer a thing.

-GPUs are going to become a durable good, like a car. You buy one every 10-15 years, maybe take out a loan for it, keep it serviced so it runs smoothly.

Holy **** I need to get on that business case for a GPU tune up shop. Bring your GPU in, we'll repaste it, swap out the thermal pads, give it a solid disassembly and dusting. For the whales and the clueless we'll give it an hour long immersion bath in non-reactive, non-conductive solvent for a few hundred bucks more.

Slap a reminder sticker on the top right of the card for the next 6 months/1200 hours of uptime to bring it in again.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I bet the big mining companies who run these cards 24/7 actually do something like that. At some point the fans must get clogged up with dust and they would need to be serviced on a regular schedule to avoid failures.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
-GPUs are going to become a durable good, like a car. You buy one every 10-15 years, maybe take out a loan for it, keep it serviced so it runs smoothly.

Holy **** I need to get on that business case for a GPU tune up shop. Bring your GPU in, we'll repaste it, swap out the thermal pads, give it a solid disassembly and dusting. For the whales and the clueless we'll give it an hour long immersion bath in non-reactive, non-conductive solvent for a few hundred bucks more.

Slap a reminder sticker on the top right of the card for the next 6 months/1200 hours of uptime to bring it in again.

In several years time if my kids happen to find your post by the time they're teenagers, they would likely detect humor and quality in your post. However, they won't find it as funny as they ought to and there's one reason for that: they won't know what the hell a GPU is.

Reactions: ultimatebob

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
In several years time if my kids happen to find your post by the time they're teenagers, they would likely detect humor and quality in your post. However, they won't find it as funny as they ought to and there's one reason for that: they won't know what the hell a GPU is.

Yeah, high end GPU's are now unaffordable to mainstream gamers. This is also going to limit game developers in their ability to improve graphics in the next generation of games, because the hardware target is going to be some redactedAMD or Intel APU that people can actually afford.

Profanity is not allowed in the tech forums.

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: moonbogg

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yeah, high end GPU's are now unaffordable to mainstream gamers. This is also going to limit game developers in their ability to improve graphics in the next generation of games, because the hardware target is going to be some AMD or Intel APU that people can actually afford.
You know, taking a "historical perspective" - THIS is EXACTLY what was PREDICTED, with the "rise of APUs" - that discrete GPUs would SHIP LESS and COST MORE. (Note: NO mention of "miners" involved, as none need be, for this to happen.) If anything, the existance of GPU mining has actually slowed down the process of GPU price rises due to this APU factor, by still allowing discrete GPUs to be shipped in larger qty's, and thus lower prices per unit, than they would have otherwise, had mining not been a "thing".

Yes, MINING is SAVING THE DGPU industry!

Last edited by a moderator:

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006

-Well yeah, they won't be "Graphics Processing Units" they'll be "Money Processing Units" by then...

Reactions: moonbogg