SC2 beta end of this month

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PieIsAwesome

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2007
Well they have said that the expansions will add new units for MP, so if you want the full online experience eventually you'll need all three. Luckily they'll probably be a good year or so apart so it shouldn't be too bad, but it sucks that those of us who don't give two shits about the SP campaign will probably have to pay close to $100 for a couple extra units.

I still play SC online to this day and I've never beaten the SP campaign, and when SC2 comes out I won't even touch the campaign. It's all you story loving pieces of assface that are ruining it for the rest of us. We could've had a fully polished game in hand right now at less than half the cost otherwise.

How do you know the new units wont become available to players who do not own the expansions? In DoW2 you won't need the expansion to have access to new units, as I mentioned above. Making the new untis available to everyone seems like a better choice than splitting online players into 3 groups.

invidia

Platinum Member
Oct 8, 2006
The game or beta isn't even out yet. Judging from assumptions and our own interpretations of what Blizzard said (sounds similar to politics) this game will turn out to be a piece of shit.

The only valid reason that it will suck is lack of LAN.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
How do you know the new units wont become available to players who do not own the expansions? In DoW2 you won't need the expansion to have access to new units, as I mentioned above. Making the new untis available to everyone seems like a better choice than splitting online players into 3 groups.

sounds like a much smarter decision.

Apr 17, 2005
I have next to no interest in SC2. It looks like they just updated the graphics but kept the same gameplay. Sure that probably works for a lot of people but I never really liked SC all that much (Total Annihilation was my game of choice).

me too!!! i always thought ta was far superior to sc.

I4AT

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2006

Because it's Blizzard... they didn't make Brood War units available to vanilla players. They pulled LAN support from the game just to shut down piracy in a tertiary market. Blizzard makes great games but they aren't one of those companies.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
I've honestly lost most of my excitement for this game.

The success of WoW will no doubt ensure the success of SC2, regardless of the games quality.

I'm more excited about the supreme commander 2 launch than starcraft.
hhahahahahaahahahahhahahahah

Magusigne

Golden Member
Nov 21, 2007
Well they have said that the expansions will add new units for MP, so if you want the full online experience eventually you'll need all three. Luckily they'll probably be a good year or so apart so it shouldn't be too bad, but it sucks that those of us who don't give two shits about the SP campaign will probably have to pay close to $100 for a couple extra units.

Links or it never happened.

I've heard the contrary on my reputable sites.

I can't access the links here at work but your pulling stuff from FUD prolly.

invidia

Platinum Member
Oct 8, 2006
The expansions are years away....... At least a year from whenever the first SC2 is release. Why are people complaining?

Let's not turn this into a Blizzard/SC bashing thread, like every single Blizzard-related thread. At least that sticky WoW thread is clean......

Kabob

Lifer
Sep 5, 2004
You are testing Blizzard's games and not being paid for it. Congrats on working for free? :confused:

Yeah, I don't really see it as working for free. So I get to play a game I'm interested in for free before it's released? I beta'd WCIII TFT and never felt like somehow I was being ripped off. I enjoyed getting to play the game early.

I think the people whoa re buying it just for multiplayer have a valid complaint. Correct me if I'm wrong but you'll have to buy each of the main games to get the full multiplayer experience right? That would piss off a lot of people, myself included, because I couldn't care less about starcraft's story anymore.

The little bit I've read about it (granted, it isn't much compared to you guys who have been following this game for years) is that all the multiplayer content would be included in the Terran campaign and the Zerg and Protoss expansions would be all single player stuff. Maybe I'm mistaken though.

It's all you story loving pieces of assface that are ruining it for the rest of us. We could've had a fully polished game in hand right now at less than half the cost otherwise.

Yeah, totally valid point. I liked to take my motorcycle to the race track nearby but thanks to you losers who ride on the street like 99.9% of other people and have to comply to noise/emission standards my bike comes with a heavy, quiet, inefficient exhaust system. Bastards...

The expansions are years away....... At least a year from whenever the first SC2 is release. Why are people complaining?

I dunno, Brood War came out like 8-9 months after SC1.

Honestly all speculation about price/content of the expansions is just that, speculation. Don't get all worked up yet until you have concrete evidence one way or the other.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
hhahahahahaahahahahhahahahah

err?

Supreme commander : FA is fantastic

Both the interface and dynamic zoom features really play into the genre well... if they can build on their early success it should be a great game.

Fanboyism aside, what does SC2 introduce in the way of new features? A couple of new units on each side, and what is basically a pimped out warcraft 3 engine... Well you could've downloaded that mod years ago and had the same experience without spending $150.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org

Let's not turn this into a Blizzard/SC bashing thread, like every single Blizzard-related thread. At least that sticky WoW thread is clean......

I'm certainly not bashing blizzard/sc. SC was ground breaking and it took forever for the rest of the entire genre to catch up in quality. I'm just trying to be realistic about SC2 vs. other titles that i might enjoy more that are also on the horizon.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Why are people talking about brood war at all??? That was 10 years ago, get with the times, the SCII expansions wont work like brood war, they are stand alone, brood war came out in 8-9 months, well that wont be happening this time, i cant be bothered to explain why it just wont... It will be a year plus at least between expansions.

Also brood war is now free. Got an original SC key? Stick it into battle.net and you get broodwar along with it. That will likely never be the case for the new SC II expansions, they are modern expansions which are games in their own right and the only thing they share with expansions in the pre 2004 era is the name "expansion".

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Beta keys are being sent out now! The StarCraft II Beta is now live!

I4AT

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2006
Links or it never happened.

I've heard the contrary on my reputable sites.

I can't access the links here at work but your pulling stuff from FUD prolly.

Are you serious? It's right on the SC2 FAQ
"The expansion sets will add new content to each race for use in multiplayer matches. This could include additions such as new units, abilities, and structures, along with new maps and Battle.net updates."

Here's a developer interview
"Details are sketchy at the moment, but we do know that each new game will come with upgrades and changes to the multiplayer, as well as a fully realised campaign."

I found this in all of 10 seconds, it's been known since shortly after the trilogy was announced.

Kabob

Lifer
Sep 5, 2004
It has started.

Ebay beta auctions...only three up thus far, two of which have a $200 starting bid.

invidia

Platinum Member
Oct 8, 2006
Blizzcon 08 attendee but no beta key in my e-mail. I'm guessing they are still in the progress of sending out e-mails. I used an e-mail that's not linked to my Battle.net account.

Chronoshock

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
I was an opt-in.
Don't bother checking your e-mail, as I did not receive one. Just log into your Battle.Net account. If you see Starcraft 2 listed as one of the games then you're in.

I4AT

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2006
Everyone who got in please post your specs, and if possible framerates. I'm very interested in seeing what it takes to run the game, and whether it will benefit from quad core or be fine with just dual core.