SC2 beta end of this month

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
Beta TESTER

You know that game tester/QA is a paid position within the industry, right? It's not that hard to figure out...

Why would people who are excited for the game be pissed off about being able to play it early? I'm sure testers in the industry are held to different standards than the common beta tester (such as being forced to work certain hours, attend meetings and crap like that). A beta tester doesn't even have to give feedback really, they can just enjoy playing a game early if they really want to.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Beta TESTER

You know that game tester/QA is a paid position within the industry, right? It's not that hard to figure out...

Isn't that essentially what Blizzard did? "Hey, come to Blizzcon and we'll give you the 'reward' of testing our games for us!"

There is a HUGE difference in responsibilities between a paid tester and a beta tester, is it really that hard to figure out? You obviously have no idea...

Last edited:

Ichigo

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2005
No LAN support, and selling 3 different versions of the game were deal breakers for me.

The first point is legitimate.

The second is strange. You are okay with any other game that has a single expansion pack but if a game has two (okay, they're standalone but w/e) that's it? How about judge the merits of the game(s) by just that? You haven't seen anything of the Zerg/Toss games to know if they're worth it, and you're dismissing the Terran game as a whole because of two unknown future quantities.

fatpat268

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2006

The second is strange. You are okay with any other game that has a single expansion pack but if a game has two (okay, they're standalone but w/e) that's it? How about judge the merits of the game(s) by just that? You haven't seen anything of the Zerg/Toss games to know if they're worth it, and you're dismissing the Terran game as a whole because of two unknown future quantities.

No he's pissed off at the prospect of taking one full featured game and splitting it into three games in order to milk as much money as possible.

Expansion packs are dead.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org

Having to buy the game 3 times for what is essentially the same 10 year old game on a new engine with some fluff thrown in is pushing it too far.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005

Expansion packs cost 30 bucks. These new "featured additions" will cost as much as the first game. So if the game costs 50 bucks, thats 3x 50 bucks you'll need to dish out.

You could say, well you don't need to dish out anything! But you do. In order to keep with the crowd, you need the new units or you can't play with them. So 50 bucks for 3 new units.

RyanPaulShaffer

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
Having to buy the game 3 times for what is essentially the same 10 year old game on a new engine with some fluff thrown in is pushing it too far.

I agree. I loved Starcraft back in the day (playing 2 VS 6 Insane AI on Hunters with my buddy over a direct modem connection was a blast), but I will wait for the inevitable Starcraft 2 Battlechest before getting SC2. Kinda sad, but Blizzard made their decision, and so have I.

Ichigo

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2005
Arbitrary static pricing for new PC games is a separate discussion altogether.

The point is, we don't know what is in the last two games. Of course Activision-Blizzard is milking it some (probably more Activision thanks to Bobby Kotick) but your reaction so far isn't logical. If they turn out to not feature enough content for the $50 price in the end, then go ahead and be angry.

Brood War didn't really have that much content, to be honest. ~30 new missions and some new units (and a lot of balancing) was sold for $30. Was that worth it in hindsight? Hell yes.

If the Zerg/Protoss games deliver what has been promised (~30 missions, new units, balancing for strategic and enjoyable play for another decade) for $50 each, considering that it's obviously more difficult to produce this time around, it might be worth it. You're right, it *might* not be worth it at all but we haven't gotten enough information to determine that. If that time comes then I'm on your side.

You're putting all of the games under one banner of "Starcraft 2" and concluding that it must all be similar enough to not warrant it.

No LAN play and sketchy details for Battle.net (paying for crap) are more legitimate reasons to be hesitant about Starcraft 2.

@Acanthus: If Starcraft 2 is just Starcraft with fluff then I'm pretty sure this game isn't for you in the first place. Total War series is just a decade old game with fluff, so is Battlefield whatever edition, Call of Duty MW2, etc. etc.

PieIsAwesome

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2007
Expansion packs cost 30 bucks. These new "featured additions" will cost as much as the first game. So if the game costs 50 bucks, thats 3x 50 bucks you'll need to dish out.

You could say, well you don't need to dish out anything! But you do. In order to keep with the crowd, you need the new units or you can't play with them. So 50 bucks for 3 new units.

A lot of assumption about how the 3 SC2 games will work. For all we know each one could have enough content to warrant being a seperate stand-alone game. Players who don't buy the follow-up games may not even need to in order to use any new units for existing races.

In DoW2 the expansion will add a new race and new units, but people who do not buy the expansion will still get the new units for the races from the previous game. They just wont get the new faction. This prevents the online pool from being fragmented.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
@Acanthus: If Starcraft 2 is just Starcraft with fluff then I'm pretty sure this game isn't for you in the first place. Total War series is just a decade old game with fluff, so is Battlefield whatever edition, Call of Duty MW2, etc. etc.

I agree to some extent. I have fallen off of the battlefield series since BF2. BC2 was on my radar but it looks like battlefield 3 might be the next one i actually buy...

I'm all for companies making money but there are a lot of times where it is not worth it.

SC2 might be fantastic, but if its just a rehash ill pass, especially with the high price of entry if you want all of the content.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
Beta TESTER

Isn't that essentially what Blizzard did? "Hey, come to Blizzcon and we'll give you the 'reward' of testing our games for us!"

Because large scale beta tests offered to people who feel like it are some new tyranical thing that the evil Blizzard empire has just now started. Noones forcing anyone to play their partially made game and give them feedback. People who are paid to test software are actually required to give valuable feedback; people who sign up for betas are not.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Starcraft = 30 missions

SC II: Wings of liberty = 26-30 missions

Noone is getting a game thats been split into 3 to "milk" profits. If you expected a 90 mission high quality RTS... tough there isnt one and will never be one because thats a ridiculous amount of content for just 1 game.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
Starcraft = 30 missions

SC II: Wings of liberty = 26-30 missions

Noone is getting a game thats been split into 3 to "milk" profits. If you expected a 90 mission high quality RTS... tough there isnt one and will never be one because thats a ridiculous amount of content for just 1 game.

I think the people whoa re buying it just for multiplayer have a valid complaint. Correct me if I'm wrong but you'll have to buy each of the main games to get the full multiplayer experience right? That would piss off a lot of people, myself included, because I couldn't care less about starcraft's story anymore.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
I think the people whoa re buying it just for multiplayer have a valid complaint. Correct me if I'm wrong but you'll have to buy each of the main games to get the full multiplayer experience right? That would piss off a lot of people, myself included, because I couldn't care less about starcraft's story anymore.

The second and third parts are going to be basicly expansions that add some units + story. Were people who played multiplayer pissed they had to get brood wars to add somes units + story.

TecHNooB

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005

Blizzard originally said even though you only have the terran campaign, all races are accessible on b.net. However, expansion characters may not be.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
The second and third parts are going to be basicly expansions that add some units + story. Were people who played multiplayer pissed they had to get brood wars to add somes units + story.

Brood wars wasn't a full priced game, so there is a difference there. I doubt as many people would be bitching if the 2nd 2 games were expansion price. I don't really care either way, but I can kinda see where people are coming from complaining about having to buy 3 full games to get the full experience.

MikeyLSU

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2005
nobody has a clue as to the pricing of the "expansions" I don't think they will be full price since the first one gives you access to full multiplayer and the others will just give you the single player of that faction.

I expect a price drop for the second and third races.

I4AT

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2006
Well they have said that the expansions will add new units for MP, so if you want the full online experience eventually you'll need all three. Luckily they'll probably be a good year or so apart so it shouldn't be too bad, but it sucks that those of us who don't give two shits about the SP campaign will probably have to pay close to $100 for a couple extra units.

I still play SC online to this day and I've never beaten the SP campaign, and when SC2 comes out I won't even touch the campaign. It's all you story loving pieces of assface that are ruining it for the rest of us. We could've had a fully polished game in hand right now at less than half the cost otherwise.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Well they have said that the expansions will add new units for MP, so if you want the full online experience eventually you'll need all three. Luckily they'll probably be a good year or so apart so it shouldn't be too bad, but it sucks that those of us who don't give two shits about the SP campaign will probably have to pay close to $100 for a couple extra units.

I still play SC online to this day and I've never beaten the SP campaign, and when SC2 comes out I won't even touch the campaign. It's all you story loving pieces of assface that are ruining it for the rest of us. We could've had a fully polished game in hand right now at less than half the cost otherwise.

I liked SC for the multiplayer, i dont think i have ever touched the campaign mode, having to buy 2 expansions to stay ahead is ok in my book when you consider how long blizzard supports their games compared to others.

TheRickRoller

Dec 2, 2009
consider how long blizzard supports their games compared to others.

While this is a good point, it must not be overexaggerated. Yes, blizzard "supports" games for a stupidly long time. But what support do you really get? Hacking is and has been rampant in SC and WC3 for a long time. Spambots and dupers continue to choke D2 to death, this has been going on for years now. Nothing has been done, its looking like nothing will be done.

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
I have next to no interest in SC2. It looks like they just updated the graphics but kept the same gameplay. Sure that probably works for a lot of people but I never really liked SC all that much (Total Annihilation was my game of choice).