Say Hello to the Goodbye Weapon

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
15,381
6
91
Originally posted by: Atheus
Originally posted by: drinkmorejava
Originally posted by: Gooberlx2
I liked the one I read a long time ago about ultra-low frequencies causing crowds to lose control of their bowels.

I think that's a 3hz square wave.

Myth busted by mythbusters!

Awww that's disappointing.
 

sswingle

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
7,183
45
91
Can I mount one on the top of my house and then have a remote control to turn it off when I want to come and go?
 

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
32,674
145
106
www.neftastic.com
Originally posted by: 1sikbITCH
Originally posted by: SunnyD
Deemed safe after numerous tests...

20 years later the folks with cancer and extra arms from being Microwaved agree...

Well when given the choice of being killed right now or living an extra 20 years I think most would take the 20 years. Besides, that's one more arm they'll have to pump in the air while chanting Death to America.

:laugh:

On a second thought... I've always wanted two penises...
 

rgwalt

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2000
7,393
0
0
Originally posted by: pontifex
sounds sorta like the Gom Jabbar test

The Gom Jabbar was the poisoned needle. The pain box worked by nerve induction. That is some sort of field would induct feeling into the nerves without interacting with any other tissue. This technology heats the water in tissue causing extreme discomfort.

Close though, and it sounds really pretty cool.

R
 

drinkmorejava

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
3,567
7
81
Originally posted by: Atheus
Originally posted by: drinkmorejava
Originally posted by: Gooberlx2
I liked the one I read a long time ago about ultra-low frequencies causing crowds to lose control of their bowels.

I think that's a 3hz square wave.

Myth busted by mythbusters!

What exactly are they trying to bust, pretty much any type of wave will fsck you up if enough power is put into it.
 

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
74,459
855
126
the subjects would "benefit from direct knowledge that an effective nonlethal weapon system could soon be in the inventory," said one report.

I'm curious. Can you invest that benefit? Or buy a car with it?
 

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
43,806
46
91
Originally posted by: rgwalt
Originally posted by: pontifex
sounds sorta like the Gom Jabbar test

The Gom Jabbar was the poisoned needle. The pain box worked by nerve induction. That is some sort of field would induct feeling into the nerves without interacting with any other tissue. This technology heats the water in tissue causing extreme discomfort.

Close though, and it sounds really pretty cool.

R

thats why i said gom jabbar test and not just gom jabbar. i didn't really read into it that much but sounded like it was very similar.
 

Trevelyan

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2000
4,077
0
71
Originally posted by: TheNinja
These were used in the Left Behind series of books. They basically started to boil the water in your body and if the beam stayed on you a long time you would die, but it was used to repel people or confuse them.

I don't think its the same thing... the weapon from that book would literally cook your insides. This thing only damages the top layer of skin due to the longer wavelenghts.
 

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
44,303
15
81
Originally posted by: Atheus
Originally posted by: pontifex
Originally posted by: Atheus
The people at the back of the crowd will feel no effects and will continue pushing forward, thereby preventing the front of the crowd from escaping, and likely maiming most of them.

I amazes me that such things are considered to prevent peaceful protest.

if its peaceful protest then this wouldn't be needed.

Yea right.

When (if) this country becomes fascist, the police will use this extensively for crowd control.
 

mercanucaribe

Banned
Oct 20, 2004
9,763
1
0
Originally posted by: Trevelyan
Originally posted by: TheNinja
These were used in the Left Behind series of books. They basically started to boil the water in your body and if the beam stayed on you a long time you would die, but it was used to repel people or confuse them.

I don't think its the same thing... the weapon from that book would literally cook your insides. This thing only damages the top layer of skin due to the longer wavelenghts.

83% is absorbed by your skin. The rest goes to your muscles, organs, and BRAIN. Also, keep in mind that there is nothing protecting your cornea. Microwave radiation causes cataracts by heating the surface of your eyeball, and this won't be any different.

Non-lethal does not mean harmless.
 
Dec 27, 2001
11,272
1
0
Originally posted by: Astaroth33
Originally posted by: Atheus
Originally posted by: pontifex
Originally posted by: Atheus
The people at the back of the crowd will feel no effects and will continue pushing forward, thereby preventing the front of the crowd from escaping, and likely maiming most of them.

I amazes me that such things are considered to prevent peaceful protest.

if its peaceful protest then this wouldn't be needed.

Yea right.

When (if) this country becomes fascist, the police will use this extensively for crowd control.

Buahahahahahahahaha

You only WISH the system gave enough of a sh!t about you to waste the batteries.
 

MmmSkyscraper

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
9,475
1
76
Originally posted by: BoomerD
Bring back the Neutron bomb. Kills all the people, doesn't destroy buildings...NO rebuilding needed. Look at the cost savings. ;)


J. Frank Parnell: Ever been to Utah? Ra-di-a-tion. Yes, indeed. You hear the most outrageous lies about it. Half-baked goggle-box do-gooders telling everybody it's bad for you. Pernicious nonsense. Everybody could stand a hundred chest X-rays a year. They ought to have them, too. When they canceled the project it almost did me in. One day my mind was full to bursting. The next day - nothing. Swept away. But I'll show them. I had a lobotomy in the end.

Otto: Lobotomy? Isn't that for loonies?

Parnell: Not at all. Friend of mine had one. Designer of the neutron bomb. You ever hear of the neutron bomb? Destroys people - leaves buildings standing. Fits in a suitcase. It's so small, no one knows it's there until - BLAMMO. Eyes melt, skin explodes, everybody dead. So immoral, working on the thing can drive you mad. That's what happened to this friend of mine. So he had a lobotomy. Now he's well again.
 

MmmSkyscraper

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
9,475
1
76
So that's how they plan to stop the fighting over the next set of next-gen consoles at launch... That'd make for awesome TV, geeks and scalpers trying to run into the store to grab an uber-l337 PSeleventybillion then running back out when the weapon pwnage is too much.
 

chambersc

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2005
6,247
0
0
Originally posted by: BoomerD
Bring back the Neutron bomb. Kills all the people, doesn't destroy buildings...NO rebuilding needed. Look at the cost savings. ;)

I want one!
 

Yreka

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
4,084
0
76
I will be keeping an eye out in Hot Deals FS/FT for one thanks !

Wonder how hard it would be to wire to your doorbell, hmmm..
 

Gibsons

Lifer
Aug 14, 2001
12,530
35
91
Originally posted by: BoomerD
Bring back the Neutron bomb. Kills all the people, doesn't destroy buildings...NO rebuilding needed. Look at the cost savings. ;)
Neutron bombs will knock down buildings just fine. wiki
 

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
63,123
11,490
136
http://www.manuelsweb.com/neutronbomb.htm

"Also called ENHANCED RADIATION WARHEAD, specialized type of small thermonuclear weapon that produces minimal blast and heat but which releases large amounts of lethal radiation. The neutron bomb delivers blast and heat effects that are confined to an area of only a few hundred yards in radius. But within a somewhat larger area it throws off a massive wave of neutron and gamma radiation, which can penetrate armour or several feet of earth. This radiation is extremely destructive to living tissue. Because of its short-range destructiveness and the absence of long-range effect, the neutron bomb would be highly effective against tank and infantry formations on the battlefield but would not endanger cities or other population centres only a few miles away. It can be carried in a Lance missile or delivered by an 8-inch (200-millimetre) howitzer, or possibly by attack aircraft."
 

xXped0thugXx

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2004
1,885
1
0
Originally posted by: MisterJackson
I want a keychain version!



thats what im saying, how practical is this thing, unless its in a keychain or can be attached to a rifle not sure how well it will work.
 

chambersc

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2005
6,247
0
0
Originally posted by: BoomerD
http://www.manuelsweb.com/neutronbomb.htm

"Also called ENHANCED RADIATION WARHEAD, specialized type of small thermonuclear weapon that produces minimal blast and heat but which releases large amounts of lethal radiation. The neutron bomb delivers blast and heat effects that are confined to an area of only a few hundred yards in radius. But within a somewhat larger area it throws off a massive wave of neutron and gamma radiation, which can penetrate armour or several feet of earth. This radiation is extremely destructive to living tissue. Because of its short-range destructiveness and the absence of long-range effect, the neutron bomb would be highly effective against tank and infantry formations on the battlefield but would not endanger cities or other population centres only a few miles away. It can be carried in a Lance missile or delivered by an 8-inch (200-millimetre) howitzer, or possibly by attack aircraft."
While no one is disputing the effectiveness of said weapon, where in the outlined words does it mention that it "kills all the people, doesn't destroy buildings?"