Saw this question on r/atheism today.

Page 34 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
How do you know we have souls?

Because we have the ability and the duty to care for those who have no souls. We are enjoined to show good husbandry to the animals of the world. In truth, it is quite difficult to do this with some human animals.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Because we have the ability and the duty to care for those who have no souls. We are enjoined to show good husbandry to the animals of the world. In truth, it is quite difficult to do this with some human animals.

Many animals also show care for other animals of different species.

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
Well, sharing one's beliefs doesn't make one any more irrational than the many Atheists that share their disbelief.

...unless everyone sharing a belief or disbelief is irrational because it goes contrary to the other. lol

Irrationality is cognition, thinking, talking or acting without inclusion of rationality. It is more specifically described as an action or opinion given through inadequate use of reason, emotional distress, or cognitive deficiency. The term is used, usually pejoratively, to describe thinking and actions that are, or appear to be, less useful, or more illogical than other more rational alternatives.

Irrational behaviors of individuals include taking offense or becoming angry about a situation that has not yet occurred, expressing emotions exaggeratedly (such as crying hysterically), maintaining unrealistic expectations, engaging in irresponsible conduct such as problem intoxication, disorganization, or extravagance, and falling victim to confidence tricks. People with a mental illness like schizophrenia may exhibit irrational paranoia.

These more contemporary "normative conceptions" of what constitutes a manifestation of irrationality are difficult to demonstrate empirically because it is not clear by whose standards we are to judge the behavior rational or irrational.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irrationality

Read the link. To me "religion" is definitely irrational.

religious faith may be seen as, in part, a rejection of complete rationalism about the world; this would be contested by some religious thinkers, in that the rational is a debatable term.

Debating the term "rational" is interesting.

At the end of the day Religion requires blind faith in a book that is filled with the untestable.

I could sit here and tell you that God came to me in a vision and told me about Heaven and how it's got a Beer Volcano and a Stripper Factory. In Hell they have the same thing except that the beer is flat and the strippers have STD's. That's where sinners go who don't dress up as a Pirate on Fridays. God is all around us, touching us and guiding us, with his noodly appendage. God constantly tests our faith in him by planting fake evidence of "evolution" since clearly it was he who created everything.

Now if you're not aware of what I just wrote you're a heathen. May the Flying Spaghetti Monster have mercy on your soul.

This is just as valid as Christianity and the Bible (and don't think I'm picking on that one denomination since I could pick them all) and surely you can recognize that the Flying Spaghetti Monster story is irrational?

If not what about Frost Giants? What about us being immortal thetans from other planets who created the universe for fun and have to watch out for the souls of Xenu's people who are invisible and are here to do us harm? In case you're not sure who Xenu is, since you're not enlightened enough, you can look him up if you pay enough money since he's a very famous man. He was the Dictator of the Galactic Confederacy about 75 million years ago.

Mr. Pedantic

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2010

The only such obligation we have is to the extent to which it is self-beneficial.

Braznor

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2005
Of all enemies, the Unknown is the greatest adversary to everything that lives, feels and thinks. That which is yet unseen, that which is yet unthinkable and that which is yet unexpected always becomes the dagger that leads to our eventual demise. The Unknown in our failures has just one result, death. The Unknown in our successes has just one punishment, our own personal hell. Learn to see this unknown, learn to expect the unexpected and you may yet learn to see death itself in its dark glorious person.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
How do you know they don't? How do you know we do?

How do you know your alive? I believe in the scientific method. I also believe in God. I do not find them to be mutually exclusive. I have never observed nor read about other species showing that ability and duty. Since I believe in God, we are all commanded to be "good shepherds."

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
But none, for all other species or, all members of that species and, none have the responsibility/duty to do so.

You don't have to believe in god to be a good person. Religious people can be shitty, and many are, and visa versa.

“Organized religion is a sham and a crutch for weak-minded people who need strength in numbers. It tells people to go out and stick their noses in other people's business. I live by the golden rule: Treat others as you'd want them to treat you. The religious right wants to tell people how to live.”

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
You don't have to believe in god to be a good person. Religious people can be shitty, and many are, and visa versa.

“Organized religion is a sham and a crutch for weak-minded people who need strength in numbers. It tells people to go out and stick their noses in other people's business. I live by the golden rule: Treat others as you'd want them to treat you. The religious right wants to tell people how to live.”

Now all we have to do is define what makes a "good" person. My belief in God and his teachings in the bible give me a working definition. What you got?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
How do you know your alive? I believe in the scientific method. I also believe in God. I do not find them to be mutually exclusive. I have never observed nor read about other species showing that ability and duty. Since I believe in God, we are all commanded to be "good shepherds."

Umm, wut? You have never seen a dog care for a cat or the opposite or any other animal caring for another animal of a different species?

The "good shepherds" command has nothing to do with other species. It is also not an exclusive idea, even predates when the "good shepherd" command allegedly occurred.

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
After reading these forums you seriously think there is some magical level of intelligence that separates us from other animals?

You could have just stopped at the bolded part and I would have said "Yes". I think you may have just been trying to make a joke at the expense of some of the posts and posters on this forum though.

Braznor

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2005
Why are you people so liberal and smart and atheist so afraid to ask questions to me? I promise I won't bite!

Ask me anything! :D

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
Religion is a disease of the mind.

Attributing disagreements to mental deseases, instead of differences in personal experience, is the real mind-killer.

Pragmatically speaking, the meaning of anything is its utility for you: What utility do you gain from your bigotry?

Why are you people so liberal and smart and atheist so afraid to ask questions to me? I promise I won't bite!

Ask me anything!
What's up with rambling like a mildly retarded chimp with access to a Hawking-style talk-box?

Braznor

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2005
Attributing disagreements to mental deseases, instead of differences in personal experience, is the real mind-killer.

Pragmatically speaking, the meaning of anything is its utility for you: What utility do you gain from your bigotry?

Well, he gains his supremacist, arrogant attitude, what more do he want than this? :whiste:

Braznor

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2005
Screw the rest of the people here. Debate me folks! Its an open challenge, what are you all so afraid of?

Any takers for this challenge here?

Braznor

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2005
What do you all want to debate?

God?
Evolution?
The existence of this universe?
Consciousness?

Ha, bring it on! I bet no atheist here has answer to any of these things except his self professed arrogance.

Braznor

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2005
Strong Atheist is just arrogance and no less supremacist than any extremist who thinks his ideology is the best.

Braznor

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2005
That is the meaning of our being in the world?

Everything is independent and yet dependent on everything else in this universe at the same thing.

Our independence validates our existence, our dependence validates our function, no more no less.

Fundamentally there exists somethings called universal truths and thats all we need to know and acknowledge.

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
Everything is independent and yet dependent on everything else in this universe at the same thing.

Our independence validates our existence, our dependence validates our function, no more no less.
Is our ethical indebtedness based on sociological norms or answerability to those around us?

Fundamentally there exists somethings called universal truths and thats all we need to know and acknowledge.
SHIT! better tell me what those are!

Braznor

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2005
Is our ethical indebtedness based on sociological norms or answerability to those around us?

Our fundamental basis is so that we are independent of our circumstances at a very base level. All living beings and consciousness itself plays just the role of the observer. We do what we have to do and what our bodies and circumstances force us to do. I repeat we are just observers in this grand play of life. We are the actors and the audience at the same time.

SHIT! better tell me what those are!

Universal truths are those laws which always prevail as the base of all actions governing all circumstances possible within this universe. All of science including the quest for the grand unification theory is just the hunt for that one law that describes everything in this universe and all of the happenings within.

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
Our fundamental basis is so that we are independent of our circumstances at a very base level. All living beings and consciousness itself plays just the role of the observer. We do what we have to do and what our bodies and circumstances force us to do. I repeat we are just observers in this grand play of life. We are the actors and the audience at the same time.
How can this argument be proven wrong?

Universal truths are those laws which always prevail as the base of all actions governing all circumstances possible within this universe. All of science including the quest for the grand unification theory is just the hunt for that one law that describes everything in this universe and all of the happenings within.
Oh.. I thought you knew some that everyone needed to know...

Braznor

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2005
How can this argument be proven wrong?

There is no need to prove it as right or wrong. Consider this, when your brain is thinking of something, is it you or just your brain thinking of it as yourself? So it can be assumed that our brains have a property which arises above itself as a collection of atoms and molecules, above itself as a mere collection of organized neurons to touch upon a concept of a greater being i.e ourselves, the greater being. I fail to understand why people here don't think it is possible for the universe itself to replicate this common trick our brains do every second of our lives.

Oh.. I thought you knew some that everyone needed to know...

Perhaps I know something more or Perhaps I don't. I'll PM you my explanation of consciousness.

Last edited: