Saw this question on r/atheism today.

Page 33 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Retro Rob

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2012
Sorry, but that's not true.

My views on religion are not based on my upbringing. They're based on observing the behavior of people like yourself.

800 posts into this thread, and still not one single rational argument for why I should consider Jesus any more credible than Zeus.

How many people have you observed "like myself"?

Actually, I'm convinced by this point here you made a few posts ago that you haven't done enough observing:

"It's been said that religion is a disease of the mind. And for good reason"

Do you agree with this statement? If so, are you saying that religious people are "diseased" in the mind?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
How many people have you observed "like myself"?

Actually, I'm convinced by this point here you made a few posts ago that you haven't done enough observing:

"It's been said that religion is a disease of the mind. And for good reason"

Do you agree with this statement? If so, are you saying that religious people are "diseased" in the mind?

Religion is a disease of the mind.

Retro Rob

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2012
Religion is a disease of the mind.

Wow, you have the guts to go the whole nine yards!

Despite what I think you're thinking, I wasn't going to ask for proof, as you may have been thinking.

I wanted to see if had to guts to come out and say what you feel..:thumbsup:

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Wow, you have the guts to go the whole nine yards!

Despite what I think you're thinking, I wasn't going to ask for proof, as you may have been thinking.

I wanted to see if had to guts to come out and say what you feel..:thumbsup:

Just corrected you. There is a difference between that and what you asserted(which was wrong) he said.

Again, you seem dishonest by putting words in his mouth. Doesn't it seem to you that having to be dishonest just shows the weakness of your position?

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
800 posts into this thread, and still not one single rational argument for why I should consider Jesus any more credible than Zeus.

Well... how about this:
Son, we live in a world that has rules, and those rules have to be guarded by men with faith. Who's gonna do it? You Sandorski? You, Charles? I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for answers, and you curse the Bible. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. That Jesus's death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And Jesus' existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves souls. You don't like the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want that truth, you need that truth. We use words like honor, faith, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain the Truth to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that Jesus provides, and then questions the manner in which he provides it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a bible, and read it. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to.

hehehe No offense meant... I thought that fit the bill, however.

BTW, that is from that movie.." a few good christians" or like that...

Last edited:

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Personally, I'd rather be crazy than soulless. Yes, I believe there is a soul. It's what separates most humans from other intelligent species.

How do you know this?

What separates us from other Intelligent species is our level of Intelligence and Opposable Thumbs. Not much more beyond those 2 things.

Retro Rob

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2012
Just corrected you. There is a difference between that and what you asserted(which was wrong) he said.

Again, you seem dishonest by putting words in his mouth. Doesn't it seem to you that having to be dishonest just shows the weakness of your position?

What words did I put in his mouth?

Honestly.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
How do you know this?

What separates us from other Intelligent species is our level of Intelligence and Opposable Thumbs. Not much more beyond those 2 things.

After reading these forums you seriously think there is some magical level of intelligence that separates us from other animals? Man is a complex animal. There are many things that our species is good at but, none that other species don't have as well. The soul is where inspiration, honor, duty and, creativity hide. We are unique because God made us that way. :biggrin:

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
After reading these forums you seriously think there is some magical level of intelligence that separates us from other animals? Man is a complex animal. There are many things that our species is good at but, none that other species don't have as well. The soul is where inspiration, honor, duty and, creativity hide. We are unique because God made us that way. :biggrin:

Got the Dolphin Internet?

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Got the Dolphin Internet?

Got bubble art? Got Dolphin song? “For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.”

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Got bubble art? Got Dolphin song? “For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.”

So you assert that we are not the most Intelligent?