Saving Private Ryan

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zainali

Golden Member
Jun 18, 2003
just saw it tonight on tnt. the first part was just crazy. guy gets his leg blown off. guy lying on the ground with his intestines(or whatever they were) next to him. i think i watched the censored version before on abc or something.

neutralizer

Lifer
Oct 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Goosemaster
It's great. Never has a movie drawn out so much hatred in me as in the scene where the soldier lets his buddy get killed near the end

yeah, that guy is such a coward.

BunLengthHotDog

Feb 21, 2003
Originally posted by: Gusty987
It's great. Never has a movie drawn out so much hatred in me as in the scene where the soldier lets his buddy get killed near the end

I have the same reaction. *SPOILER* Is the nazi that kills the jewish guy the same guy that Opum let go after they stormed the machine gun nest?

This is NOT the same guy, the guy that Upham lets go ,"Steamboat Willie", is wearing the Wermacht uniform, the guy that kills Mellish was in an SS uniform.

Here is a link, showing the 2 different actors :

2 Different Guys

cowsclaw

Golden Member
Jul 23, 2002
the special edition DVD was $10 at Target Saturday. maybe sitll that price Sunday?

edit: special = the 2-disc commemorative edition

BCYL

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
Originally posted by: BunLengthHotDog

I have the same reaction. *SPOILER* Is the nazi that kills the jewish guy the same guy that Opum let go after they stormed the machine gun nest?

This is NOT the same guy, the guy that Upham lets go ,"Steamboat Willie", is wearing the Wermacht uniform, the guy that kills Mellish was in an SS uniform.

2 Different Guys

I don't get it then, why did the SS left Upham alone on the stairs? Why didn't he kill Upham as well?

BrokenVisage

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
Originally posted by: BCYL

2 Different Guys

I don't get it then, why did the SS left Upham alone on the stairs? Why didn't he kill Upham as well?

Maybe because he knew if he would have came to help the jewish guy then he'd he dead and had a little compassion for him, not all nazi's were brainwashed and evil.

Chunkee

Lifer
Jul 28, 2002
Originally posted by: akubi

yes, if i remember correctly.

they really should've killed him the first time.

should have just killed Opum

that coward

that scene drove me nuts

jC

Chunkee

Lifer
Jul 28, 2002
Originally posted by: BCYL

2 Different Guys

I think he realized that he was of no threat. Seeing what a coward he was, no effor was needed.

jC

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002

no. different uniforms. the first guy was regular whermacht. the second guy that walked past the wuss was an SS

everyone thinks they are the same person. gotta pay attention to detail...:p

Chunkee

Lifer
Jul 28, 2002
Originally posted by: nick1985

no. different uniforms. the first guy was regular whermacht. the second guy that walked past the wuss was an SS

It WAS the same guy, remember he called him by name, before he got wasted...too figgin late. Opum could have save three of his buddies, maybe more.
jC

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
Originally posted by: Chunkee

It WAS the same guy, remember he called him by name, before he got wasted...too figgin late. Opum could have save three of his buddies, maybe more.
jC

it WAS NOT the same guy. i am willing to make you a bet via paypal. $20?

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
SPR is a great movie, and deserves a huge amount of credit for being one of the first films to really bring the violence associated with WWII to the big screen. However, Band of Brothers is far superior, IMO. Of course, BoB had the luxury of many episodes, and thus the ability to better connect the viewer with the characters.

Chunkee

Lifer
Jul 28, 2002

strange the he called him by name, right before he killed him.

jC

jC

it WAS NOT the same guy. i am willing to make you a bet via paypal. $20?

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
the prisoner they let go DOES come back later in the movie. the wuss shoots him at the end. that prisoner they let go is the one who shoots and kills tom hanks. however, that is NOT the guy that stabbed the american while the wuss cried in the staircase. he was an SS soldier, different uniform, different guy. you are confused

Chunkee

Lifer
Jul 28, 2002
the prisoner they let go DOES come back later in the movie. the wuss shoots him at the end. that prisoner they let go is the one who shoots and kills tom hanks. however, that is NOT the guy that stabbed the american while the wuss cried in the staircase. he was an SS soldier, different uniform, different guy. you are confused

okay, thanks for that lesson. Do you think he did not kill the wuss because he saw him as no threat?

JC

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002

okay, thanks for that lesson. Do you think he did not kill the wuss because he saw him as no threat?

JC

yes, of course. everytime i watch this movie it seems like i have to spend an hour arguing with the people i see it with as to whether or not they are the same guy. it always involves me rewinding and pausing it on their faces and uniforms so they can see they are different people. but it feels good to be right :)

John P

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999

I think there are several things going on here. One, the German guy is too shaken to notice much of anything after such an intense encounter, second I think Spielberg is trying to kind of put the wuss in his own little world - kind of like an invisible fly on the wall type of thing, and third - yes - like others say, he doesn't present much of a threat cowering on the stairs.

P.S. My dad served as a foot soldier in the USMC in Korea, he said SPR was the most realistic war movie he has ever seen.

chambersc

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2005
if you watch the german who comes out after stabbing the guy pauses a second at the top of the stairs. the wuss takes his hand off the trigger when he is crying. this is why the german doesn't kill him because the kraut realizes that he's a wuss by him crying and not running up the stairs to help.

EDIT: the movie is on TNT right now. i turned it on and the first thing i saw and heard was steamboat willie saying "fvck hitler." good ole uncensored TNT!