Saudis behead Indonesian maid

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oct 27, 2007
Originally posted by: lyssword
Originally posted by: Number1
Originally posted by: Nitemare
WTF, people think it would be OK to behead people publicly in the US.

I could just see it in the news on TV: Beheading at 11:00 (parental discretion is advised)

Some panty-waists would object

So sharia law would be OK with you? Good luck with that.

sharia law... no

killing murderers and other POS in the most painful way possible in public and on tv/PPV/every prison...

Hellz Yes

On PPV now that is an idea. I bet there would be money to be made.
LOL

I think watching people die in real time could seriously fuck people up mentally, even more than they are currently. No, seriously, you want to deter a handful of people (who probably won't give a shit what's shown on tv anyways) and put the rest of the people in constant fear and nightmares. Would probably be a good way to start a dictatorship. "Here watch this traitor die" :roll:

They could broadcast it just before the Five O'Clock Hate into every telescreen in the country. That would be doubleplusgood.

MadRat

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: Noobtastic
Joke, right?

The courts are governed under Sharia Law, so applying our judicial system to theirs is absurd.
They execute people for stealing candy bars, but exonerate those who rape women.
You need three MALE witnesses to guarantee a conviction for a female rape. THREE! Unlike our system, if the defensive is found innocent it is the accuser is punished.
SA sucks. Period.

Consider signing up for the course Reading Comprehension 101. I never said we should use their law. I only agreed that some crimes that they consider serious enough to warrant capital punishment are justified. And then you claim an execution over a candy bar? Please, prove it.

I'm the last person here that is going to justify rape in any way, shape, or form. The crime of rape is easily as serious as murder in my mind. There is a wide line between acceptable human behavior and intolerable human behavior. Anyone that crosses that line cannot be reformed.

boredhokie

May 7, 2005
Originally posted by: MadRat
Originally posted by: mugs
BTW, Fox News has the same article:
http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2...SaudiBeheading,00.html
It's an AP article, not CNN.

Excerpt: "Saudi Arabia follows a strict interpretation of Islam under which those convicted of murder, drug trafficking, rape and armed robbery are executed in public with a sword."

I agree with the Saudis in the regards of which crimes are punishable by death.

1. Murder - As long as the circumstances parrallel current U.S. laws it is reasonable.
2. Drug Trafficking - I have no problem with criminals caught smuggling certain hard drugs like meth, heroine, and cocaine being sentenced to death. Alcohol, HGH, steroids, and marijuana are not something I'd treat as serious.
3. Rape - I see some forms of rape as serious as murder. Rape of all forms is a despicable crime.
4. Armed Robbery - Another despicable crime. If someone crosses the line and uses a weapon to execute a robbery - be it gun, bomb, knife, or whatever - then I see no problem with capital punishment in that case. If they faked the weapon, well, that would be an entirely different matter.

It is only the relatively recent age - the politically correct society - that thinks it can rehabilitate diehard criminal minds. Some crimes cross a line in which rehabilitation of the criminal is impossible.

Joke, right?

The courts are governed under Sharia Law, so applying our judicial system to theirs is absurd.

They execute people for stealing candy bars, but exonerate those who rape women.

You need three MALE witnesses to guarantee a conviction for a female rape. THREE! Unlike our system, if the defensive is found innocent it is the accuser is punished.

SA sucks. Period.

Hey, careful saying who sucks. SA supports our way of life and we need to respect them and every action they take. Did you not see George Bush kissing the Saudi King's ass?

Republicans understand the need to support a country full of 9/11 supporters - how else are they going to gas up the 'burban to take Tyler and Dakota to soccer practice?

Hippie.

Noobtastic

Banned
Jul 9, 2005
Hey, careful saying who sucks.

Agreed. They might send their state-sanctioned death squads to eliminate my.

SA supports our way of life and we need to respect them and every action they take.

What? SA supports our investment in their oil. That is all. There are the poster child for islamic fundamentalism, and if it wasn't for their oil that WE helped them discover, nobody would give a s**t.

Did you not see George Bush kissing the Saudi King's ass?

So did Clinton, Bush, Reagan, and Carter. Big deal.

Republicans understand the need to support a country full of 9/11 supporters - how else are they going to gas up the 'burban to take Tyler and Dakota to soccer practice?

Hippie.

Ah, sarcasm. Fooled me lolz.

Noobtastic

Banned
Jul 9, 2005
Consider signing up for the course Reading Comprehension 101. I never said we should use their law. I only agreed that some crimes that they consider serious enough to warrant capital punishment are justified.

Who decided man is allowed to determine who deserves to die? You may consider the crime punishable by death, but the flawed system and imperfections associated with human nature are incompatible in justifying capital punishment. Don't try and rationalize the irrational.

However, even though SA's reasons for execution are absurd, it's the process that I resent the most. Like China, trials only last, at the most, 1-2 days. Decisions are finals, and appeals are rarely permitted. Jurors are overwhelmingly male, and the rights are far from fair depending if the accused is man or woman.

And then you claim an execution over a candy bar? Please, prove it.

Your ignorance is appalling. You deserve no right in placing judgment on SAs judicial process if you cannot research basic information.

SA cuts off people hands for STEALING CANDY BARS. They sanction Friday beheadings, and implore families to execute those who shame them. These people are 100% filth.

I'm the last person here that is going to justify rape in any way, shape, or form. The crime of rape is easily as serious as murder in my mind.

That's nice, nobody cares. Your mind is flawed, like everyone else's, and if you can't appreciate that I feel great pity for you.

There is a wide line between acceptable human behavior and intolerable human behavior.

Semantics.
Anyone that crosses that line cannot be reformed.

So what? You wanna know what kind of countries that operate under your exact personal opinions on morally acceptable punishment? Very s**ty ones. Take Asia for example. They execute people for smuggling drugs, and not only that, but use zero discrimination in processing evidence or witnesses. A simple accusation is enough to warrant imprisonment. China recently executed a cooperate head of the recently bankrupt company that manufactured the defective children's toys that were being exported to the western world.

EXECUTED! These are countries that you should inhabit. They need zealot supporters like yourself; how else will they justify and rationalize their blatant inhumane behavior?

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Originally posted by: AlienCraft

I could just see it in the news on TV: Beheading at 11:00 (parental discretion is advised)

Try this on for size... their country, their laws... HOLD the PRESSES...INDONESIA is MUSLIM TOO !!!!

So, it's not as if there wasn't some reasonable expectation on her part that the Saudis might take this sort of thing seriously?

What is it that makes people think one moral code trumps another?

I believe the expression is "When in Rome, DO as a Roman".
I missed the one where they countermanded that.
Anyone else get that memo???

So I guess you were fine with Nazi Germany too then? I mean, who the fuck are we to tell them that they can't throw all of their jews and political opponents in concentration camps, its their law. So what makes our moral code trump the Nazis?
"When in Nazi Germany, DO as a Nazi"
:roll:

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Originally posted by: her209
We have besome so numb to seeing people die in movies, war and what not, I doubt if it would matter
Yeah, but watching Nick Berg getting his head cut off with a dull knife is another.

:Q

Nick Berg was an innocent not some POS douchbag

I would support your stance if we could guarantee a 100% legitimate conviction rate. As it is, our criminal justice system is so riddled with flaws that the innocent are convicted in surprisingly large numbers. The wealth of DNA exonerations (of death row inmates, even) is astonishing.

That said, I don't see any logical point to torturing the condemned. Just kill them with something virtually instant, and donate the parts to the medical community.

Noobtastic

Banned
Jul 9, 2005
Originally posted by: JD50

Try this on for size... their country, their laws... HOLD the PRESSES...INDONESIA is MUSLIM TOO !!!!

So, it's not as if there wasn't some reasonable expectation on her part that the Saudis might take this sort of thing seriously?

So I guess you were fine with Nazi Germany too then? I mean, who the fuck are we to tell them that they can't throw all of their jews and political opponents in concentration camps, its their law. So what makes our moral code trump the Nazis?

So you are rationalizing their behavior with, "it's their land." What if their laws dictated an imposed policy to destroy x country. It's their laws, who the f**k are we to tell them they can't say such things.

like it or not, the Western word is light years ahead of these barbaric countries in all societal terms. Laws, community, morals, ethics, logic...EVERYTHING. It's a known fact that when you allow a dangerous country to brew long enough, they end up f**king over everyone else.

Case and point, Nazi Germany. The western world enabled Hitler and ultimately gave him the resources necessary to murder 10+ million people and start a war that killed 100+ million people.

Is that cost worth standing idle in the name of phony bulls**t "who are we..?" nonsense>

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005

So you are rationalizing their behavior with, "it's their land." What if their laws dictated an imposed policy to destroy x country. It's their laws, who the f**k are we to tell them they can't say such things.

like it or not, the Western word is light years ahead of these barbaric countries in all societal terms. Laws, community, morals, ethics, logic...EVERYTHING. It's a known fact that when you allow a dangerous country to brew long enough, they end up f**king over everyone else.

Case and point, Nazi Germany. The western world enabled Hitler and ultimately gave him the resources necessary to murder 10+ million people and start a war that killed 100+ million people.

Is that cost worth standing idle in the name of phony bulls**t "who are we..?" nonsense>

Apparently that is acceptable in AlienCrafts world. Hey, at least we wouldn't be imposing our moral code on the Nazis.

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
Originally posted by: palehorse74
Originally posted by: 3chordcharlie
We have besome so numb to seeing people die in movies, war and what not, I doubt if it would matter
Yeah, but watching Nick Berg getting his head cut off with a dull knife is another.

OMG!

An innocent man executed!

Impossible.

Besides, Nick Berg was an enemy combatant.
wtf!? :confused:

I sincerely hope you're making some sort of sick attempt at sarcasm.

Yeah, that or ban. Seriously.

That's f**ked up.

whats fucked up about it? :confused:

Noobtastic

Banned
Jul 9, 2005

Apparently that is acceptable in AlienCrafts world. Hey, at least we wouldn't be imposing our moral code on the Nazis.

Uhhh..ok.

Noobtastic

Banned
Jul 9, 2005
Originally posted by: miketheidiot
Originally posted by: palehorse74
Originally posted by: 3chordcharlie

OMG!

An innocent man executed!

Impossible.

Besides, Nick Berg was an enemy combatant.
wtf!? :confused:

I sincerely hope you're making some sort of sick attempt at sarcasm.

Yeah, that or ban. Seriously.

That's f**ked up.

whats fucked up about it? :confused:

Accusing Nick Berg of being an enemy combatant?

Oh yeah, far from f**ked up. XD

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005

Uhhh..ok.

I was being sarcastic. People like AlienCraft are the reason that Hitler was allowed to kill millions of Jews. Our moral code DOES trump Nazi Germany, and our moral code DOES trump sharia law and Islamic extremists. I'm sick of this moral relativism crap.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
JD50, no real argument on our moral code being generally superior to most alternatives. To what point do we use this as a reason to invade other countries and impose our morals upon them, or does that predicate war in any reasonable situation? I see that you blame Aliencraft and his ilk for allowing Hitler to kill millions of Jews. Is that to say that those who opposed entering WW2 were too weak?

What do you say of letting genocide take place in the Sudan? Is it because of people like Aliencraft? What of Clinton's much-derided entry into the Bosnian situation? Was it right or wrong to impose our moral standards in that situation? Who decides, in the end?

DarkThinker

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2007
Originally posted by: lyssword

sharia law... no

killing murderers and other POS in the most painful way possible in public and on tv/PPV/every prison...

Hellz Yes

On PPV now that is an idea. I bet there would be money to be made.
LOL

I think watching people die in real time could seriously fuck people up mentally, even more than they are currently. No, seriously, you want to deter a handful of people (who probably won't give a shit what's shown on tv anyways) and put the rest of the people in constant fear and nightmares. Would probably be a good way to start a dictatorship. "Here watch this traitor die" :roll:

You think that, but once you see it yourself, you know why they do it. No one is forced to watch it if they don't want to, however, the image never leaves you (not in a bad way though), it's constantly their in your mind should you think about killing anyone for a personal benefit / score settling ...etc. I think here in the west, executions shouldn't be public, however anyone who would want to witness in person to learn a lesson should be able to do so.

Now what I have seen was during a visit to Saudi Arabia. However back home (in Lebanon), a terrorist cell belonging to Al-Qaeda covertly entered Lebanon and beheaded a couple of the "idolater's agents"! It was shocking, since when you watch the videos, you know the people in it just didn't deserve what happened to them. I have a link to the video, HOWEVER this is not for the faint of heart , you have been warned!
Vid

3chordcharlie

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2004
Accusing Nick Berg of being an enemy combatant?

Oh yeah, far from f**ked up. XD

I already answered your post.

I didn't say Nick Berg was an enemy of America.