Saudis behead Indonesian maid

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: AlienCraft
Try this on for size... their country, their laws... HOLD the PRESSES...INDONESIA is MUSLIM TOO !!!!

So, it's not as if there wasn't some reasonable expectation on her part that the Saudis might take this sort of thing seriously?

What is it that makes people think one moral code trumps another?

I believe the expression is "When in Rome, DO as a Roman".
I missed the one where they countermanded that.
Anyone else get that memo???
Anyone remember this idiot?

link

IMHO, he should have gotten the full sentence.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: her209
Try this on for size... their country, their laws... HOLD the PRESSES...INDONESIA is MUSLIM TOO !!!!

So, it's not as if there wasn't some reasonable expectation on her part that the Saudis might take this sort of thing seriously?

What is it that makes people think one moral code trumps another?

I believe the expression is "When in Rome, DO as a Roman".
I missed the one where they countermanded that.
Anyone else get that memo???
Anyone remember this idiot?

link

IMHO, he should have gotten the full sentence.

He should have gotten double just for being a worthless sack of sh*t crybaby

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Sensationalism? That would be if they said "Saudis behead Indonesian maid," when in fact they only gave her a haircut.
Since they actually did behead her, there is nothing sensationalist about the headline. If you are uncomfortable reading about someone being beheaded, then maybe there is something wrong with it.

lyssword

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2005
Originally posted by: Number1
Originally posted by: Nitemare
WTF, people think it would be OK to behead people publicly in the US.

I could just see it in the news on TV: Beheading at 11:00 (parental discretion is advised)

Some panty-waists would object

So sharia law would be OK with you? Good luck with that.

sharia law... no

killing murderers and other POS in the most painful way possible in public and on tv/PPV/every prison...

Hellz Yes

On PPV now that is an idea. I bet there would be money to be made.
LOL

I think watching people die in real time could seriously fuck people up mentally, even more than they are currently. No, seriously, you want to deter a handful of people (who probably won't give a shit what's shown on tv anyways) and put the rest of the people in constant fear and nightmares. Would probably be a good way to start a dictatorship. "Here watch this traitor die" :roll:

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: lyssword
WTF, people think it would be OK to behead people publicly in the US.

I could just see it in the news on TV: Beheading at 11:00 (parental discretion is advised)

Some panty-waists would object

So sharia law would be OK with you? Good luck with that.

sharia law... no

killing murderers and other POS in the most painful way possible in public and on tv/PPV/every prison...

Hellz Yes

On PPV now that is an idea. I bet there would be money to be made.
LOL

I think watching people die in real time could seriously fuck people up mentally, even more than they are currently. No, seriously, you want to deter a handful of people (who probably won't give a shit what's shown on tv anyways) and put the rest of the people in constant fear and nightmares. Would probably be a good way to start a dictatorship. "Here watch this traitor die" :roll:

We have besome so numb to seeing people die in movies, war and what not, I doubt if it would matter

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
We have besome so numb to seeing people die in movies, war and what not, I doubt if it would matter
Yeah, but watching Nick Berg getting his head cut off with a dull knife is another.

:Q

lyssword

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2005
You damn well know that you won't want to watch it for "deterrent". You would watch beheading for entertainment.

Here's the proposed commercial:
"Beer, *clothed* chicks (god forbid there is nudity) and beheading are on the menu today. Would you like to order some prison rape on the menu? Those criminals really deserve it! Save a dollar when ordering those 2 combined!"

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Yeah, but watching Nick Berg getting his head cut off with a dull knife is another.

Nick Berg was an innocent not some POS douchbag

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: ktehmok

Amen.

As an added note, who gives a fuck if she was from Indonesia? Why does that matter? A criminal is a criminal. Let them be punished accordingly in the country that the crime was committed. Her nationality is irrelevant. She would be the same murdering bitch in Taiwan, France, Spain, New Zealand, whatever.

A quick nick on the back of the neck & a good follow through with a downward strike.

Case closed.

This is a far better cry than here in the US, where we coddle filth like this & shelter & feed them for 20-30 years worth of appeals. And then maybe they are executed after ½ of the victims relatives have died. And the rest are numb from time & don't care one way or another by the time it is done.

Sometimes, so called "barbarism" has its merits.

This is some good crazy right here.

WHY DO WE MAKE SURE THAT THE PEOPLE WE ARE EXECUTING ARE ACTUALLY GUILTY!?! GOD I HATE IT WHEN WE CODDLE PEOPLE BY TRYING NOT TO EXECUTE THE INNOCENT.

LETS START CHOPPING HEADS OFF.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Originally posted by: JEDI
CNN

"Indonesian maid had been convicted of strangling her employer to death"

cnn's going down hill w/sensasionalistic article titles.

when i saw it, i thought it was another over-reaction to something minor or stupid.

but there's nothing wrong w/executing someone for murder.

CNN sensasionalism FTL :|

"Enslaved Indonesian maid to be beheaded for strangling abusive Saudi."? Gotta read some of the alternate press.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
I guess this illustrates, in a most dramatic manner, the barbarity of capital punishment.
To my mind, this is what capital punishment SHOULD be, public, ugly... something you DON'T want to have happen to you.
Anything less traumatic underplays the seriousness.

Amen.

As an added note, who gives a fuck if she was from Indonesia? Why does that matter? A criminal is a criminal. Let them be punished accordingly in the country that the crime was committed. Her nationality is irrelevant. She would be the same murdering bitch in Taiwan, France, Spain, New Zealand, whatever.

A quick nick on the back of the neck & a good follow through with a downward strike.

Case closed.

This is a far better cry than here in the US, where we coddle filth like this & shelter & feed them for 20-30 years worth of appeals. And then maybe they are executed after ½ of the victims relatives have died. And the rest are numb from time & don't care one way or another by the time it is done.

Do you have any idea how many death row inmates have been exonerated during their long appeal process? I'm not talking about the ones who had their convictions overturned on technicalities, I'm talking about the ones who were proven beyond all doubt to have not committed the crime they were convicted of.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Originally posted by: mugs
I guess this illustrates, in a most dramatic manner, the barbarity of capital punishment.
To my mind, this is what capital punishment SHOULD be, public, ugly... something you DON'T want to have happen to you.

Amen.

Case closed.

Do you have any idea how many death row inmates have been exonerated during their long appeal process? I'm not talking about the ones who had their convictions overturned on technicalities, I'm talking about the ones who were proven beyond all doubt to have not committed the crime they were convicted of.

No, he has no idea, and he won't care. Capital punishment is not about doing what is right, it's about thirst for blood and complete disregard for what makes a free society free. Is it really that surprising that the rest of the West, which is more educated and politically/historically aware than Americans, we are the only country that executes?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wi..._Penalty_World_Map.png

In the past 15 years, 15 death row inmates have been exonerated by DNA evidence. Imagine if DNA evidence was available for ALL cases!

3chordcharlie

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2004

OMG!

An innocent man executed!

Impossible.

Besides, Nick Berg was an enemy combatant.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: JEDI
CNN

"Indonesian maid had been convicted of strangling her employer to death"

cnn's going down hill w/sensasionalistic article titles.

when i saw it, i thought it was another over-reaction to something minor or stupid.

CNN sensasionalism FTL :|

so what exacrly is your point?

Noobtastic

Banned
Jul 9, 2005
People get executed in the Middle East for much, much less. I had a friend who visited SA (employment) and he accidentally stumbled upon one of the notorious Friday's beheading.

You have to understand, the people like this. They watch it for entertainment.

It's like the f**king 18th century.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000

I disagree. It's a barbaric practice, although the US practices it, too, and there's nothing in this article that says it's of more significance than any murder that the government in this country carries out, so I agree totally with your overall theme that CNN is going down hill, although actually I think they are already at the very bottom of it. CNN is barely news these days. CNN money or politics may have something but the main page is just distractions for the masses and an embarrassment for any real newspaper.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Skoorb
CNN money or politics may have something but the main page is just distractions for the masses and an embarrassment for any real newspaper.

:thumbsup:

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: 3chordcharlie

OMG!

Impossible.

wtf!? :confused:

I sincerely hope you're making some sort of sick attempt at sarcasm.

Noobtastic

Banned
Jul 9, 2005
Originally posted by: palehorse74

OMG!

Impossible.

Yeah, that or ban. Seriously.

That's f**ked up.

3chordcharlie

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Noobtastic
Originally posted by: palehorse74
OMG!

Impossible.

Yeah, that or ban. Seriously.

That's f**ked up.
Which part?

Half the people in this thread support wider use of the death penalty, with fewer appeals. In a statistical sense, this certainly means more innocents executed.

We've got 'terrorists' locked up who are less connected to terrorism than Nick Berg was to the military.

There's nothing like the death penalty to bring out the inner mass murderer in people.

MadRat

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
BTW, Fox News has the same article:
http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2...SaudiBeheading,00.html
It's an AP article, not CNN.

Excerpt: "Saudi Arabia follows a strict interpretation of Islam under which those convicted of murder, drug trafficking, rape and armed robbery are executed in public with a sword."

I agree with the Saudis in the regards of which crimes are punishable by death.

1. Murder - As long as the circumstances parrallel current U.S. laws it is reasonable.
2. Drug Trafficking - I have no problem with criminals caught smuggling certain hard drugs like meth, heroine, and cocaine being sentenced to death. Alcohol, HGH, steroids, and marijuana are not something I'd treat as serious.
3. Rape - I see some forms of rape as serious as murder. Rape of all forms is a despicable crime.
4. Armed Robbery - Another despicable crime. If someone crosses the line and uses a weapon to execute a robbery - be it gun, bomb, knife, or whatever - then I see no problem with capital punishment in that case. If they faked the weapon, well, that would be an entirely different matter.

It is only the relatively recent age - the politically correct society - that thinks it can rehabilitate diehard criminal minds. Some crimes cross a line in which rehabilitation of the criminal is impossible.

Noobtastic

Banned
Jul 9, 2005
Originally posted by: MadRat
BTW, Fox News has the same article:
http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2...SaudiBeheading,00.html
It's an AP article, not CNN.

Excerpt: "Saudi Arabia follows a strict interpretation of Islam under which those convicted of murder, drug trafficking, rape and armed robbery are executed in public with a sword."

I agree with the Saudis in the regards of which crimes are punishable by death.

1. Murder - As long as the circumstances parrallel current U.S. laws it is reasonable.
2. Drug Trafficking - I have no problem with criminals caught smuggling certain hard drugs like meth, heroine, and cocaine being sentenced to death. Alcohol, HGH, steroids, and marijuana are not something I'd treat as serious.
3. Rape - I see some forms of rape as serious as murder. Rape of all forms is a despicable crime.
4. Armed Robbery - Another despicable crime. If someone crosses the line and uses a weapon to execute a robbery - be it gun, bomb, knife, or whatever - then I see no problem with capital punishment in that case. If they faked the weapon, well, that would be an entirely different matter.

It is only the relatively recent age - the politically correct society - that thinks it can rehabilitate diehard criminal minds. Some crimes cross a line in which rehabilitation of the criminal is impossible.

Joke, right?

The courts are governed under Sharia Law, so applying our judicial system to theirs is absurd.

They execute people for stealing candy bars, but exonerate those who rape women.

You need three MALE witnesses to guarantee a conviction for a female rape. THREE! Unlike our system, if the defensive is found innocent it is the accuser is punished.

SA sucks. Period.

Ozoned

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2004
Dead is dead. I think most people understand that.