SAPPHIRE 100282XTREME Radeon HD 5850 $140 FS@newegg

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

arkcom

Golden Member
Mar 25, 2003
Thanks for posting that. Do you have rendering errors in anything other than Unigine?

I hope Sapphire didn't rush out a junk product...this is not a good sign.

I think I jumped the gun. I got this fixed by uninstalling and updating/reinstalling my drivers. It is possible to get it to stick like this by overclocking. Only goes back with a restart.

Apr 20, 2008
I think I jumped the gun. I got this fixed by uninstalling and updating/reinstalling my drivers. It is possible to get it to stick like this by overclocking. Only goes back with a restart.

Likely this.

I didn't properly change my driver at first from the 4830 to the 6870, I had those same artifacts.

Driver change = golden now. Not a single crash or artifact shown. Even at 1Ghz core.

Uhtrinity

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2003

So did you get the artifacts after trying to overclock it? If so that wouldn't have been DOA anyhow. Glad you figured it out.

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com

Good to hear. But is the card able to sustain any overclock or does it go back to artifacting?

hdfxst

May 13, 2009
Mine is out for delivery,and i planned on doing this later but you can dump the bios and load it in RBE and see what the voltage table is.If it's higher than 1.08 then we can reflash or use autotune to get the higher voltage.

arkcom

Golden Member
Mar 25, 2003
Likely this.

I didn't properly change my driver at first from the 4830 to the 6870, I had those same artifacts.

Driver change = golden now. Not a single crash or artifact shown. Even at 1Ghz core.

It's weird that drivers cause this.

Good to hear. But is the card able to sustain any overclock or does it go back to artifacting?

I'm at 800,1100 right now. It will go a little higher.

hdfxst

May 13, 2009
I just got mine installed and so far so good.It's a lot smaller than my 4830 with accelero.I'm just not used to seeing temps over 50c.I ran a few benchmarks yesterday and i'm going to run them today with the new card and see just how much the cpu is holding me back

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
I just got mine installed and so far so good.It's a lot smaller than my 4830 with accelero.I'm just not used to seeing temps over 50c.I ran a few benchmarks yesterday and i'm going to run them today with the new card and see just how much the cpu is holding me back

Thanks, OP. Let us know how the benchmarks turn out. Also let us know what your temps are. Shouldn't be much over 40 idle and 70 load, which would be quite good for this level of card.

hdfxst

May 13, 2009
The temps are pretty good idles at 34-35,the highest i got it was in furmark benchmark and that was 63.An hour of L4D and 54 was the highest.I figured i would start with 3dmark 06 to see what kind of cpu bottleneck i had and it wasn't as bad as i thought it would be went from 13109 to 15496.

heaven 2.5 ,1920x1080,dx9--- fps 27.3 --- 43.5
shaders high --- score 687 --- 1095
anistropy 4 --- min 18.3 --- 23.2
aa off ---max 51.1 --- 95.3
full screen
furmark bench went from 1856 to 4823 at 19x10

dirt2 stayed about the same at 19x10 4aa all high except post process med from
50.1/27.0 to 52.6/34

Last edited:

hdfxst

May 13, 2009
And i dumped the bios and checked it with RBE and there is no higher voltage than 1.088 and Trixx version 4 does not change the voltage

Syne

Mar 13, 2011
Got mine a few days ago, but I'm having a strange problem. According to GPU-Z, the GPU load gets stuck at 100% even when I'm not doing anything. Right now I have only a web browser and GPU-Z open, but GPU-Z shows 100% GPU load, voltage and clocks at their 3D values, and temperatures in the mid 50's. This has happened a few times now, the only way to fix it is to restart windows. Any thoughts?

hdfxst

May 13, 2009
I had the voltage stay at 1.088 but my clocks went down to 157/300 after i played around with trixx.In ccc overdrive hit the defaults button and apply and see if they go back.also i have noticed that the card is a little quick to jump up to 3d clocks,i just moved ccc a little bit and it ramps up

Last edited:

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
Got mine a few days ago, but I'm having a strange problem. According to GPU-Z, the GPU load gets stuck at 100% even when I'm not doing anything. Right now I have only a web browser and GPU-Z open, but GPU-Z shows 100% GPU load, voltage and clocks at their 3D values, and temperatures in the mid 50's. This has happened a few times now, the only way to fix it is to restart windows. Any thoughts?

What browser. There's a known firefox 4 bug that does this.

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
Hmm interesting I didn't know of that bug. I am using Firefox 4, I'll try uninstalling and going back to 3.6

so thats what that was.. man

I couldn't figure it out...

Yup, yup...switched to IE9 because of this, and never had the problem again. I'm not necessarily blaming Firefox, as it could be something wrong with the idle detection in the Catalyst drivers. But it's definitely there for that specific browser. I reported the problem back during the FF4 beta, but honestly, the problem is worse in the final release.

Back to the new Sapphire card, do any other HD5850 Xtreme owners out there want to report on general performance, temps, and overclocking on their cards? I'm surprised there are still no Newegg reviews up for this card, even though plenty of people must have cards in hand.

hdfxst

May 13, 2009
This must be a windows 7 issue.Im running XP and firefox 4 and my card downclocks.performance wise my cpu is definitely holding me back.temps are good low 30's at idle and low 60's on load.I started using trixx custom fan profiles and the card stays in the high 50's under load(furmark).the fan is very quiet up to 50%,60-70% it starts getting loud but not annoying(about as loud as a 120mm yate loon low speed at 12 volts).overclocking,i never overclock a new card right out of the box.I usually wait about a week to make sure the card doesn't have any problems.But i just had to see,first i run autotune and subtract 5-10% and start there.autotune set the clocks at 890-1170,i've been running 800-1100.I'll start bumping the clocks up tonight and see where they go

Last edited:

a_ak57

Dec 28, 2010
Yup, yup...switched to IE9 because of this, and never had the problem again. I'm not necessarily blaming Firefox, as it could be something wrong with the idle detection in the Catalyst drivers. But it's definitely there for that specific browser. I reported the problem back during the FF4 beta, but honestly, the problem is worse in the final release.

Back to the new Sapphire card, do any other HD5850 Xtreme owners out there want to report on general performance, temps, and overclocking on their cards? I'm surprised there are still no Newegg reviews up for this card, even though plenty of people must have cards in hand.
I'll be getting mine in on Wednesday according to tracking, but I probably wouldn't do anything over than some brief overclocking until the weekend.

Syne

Mar 13, 2011
Well, it was definitely Firefox 4. After downgrading to 3.6 I've had no issues.

As for the card itself, I like it. It's quiet, at idle the fan runs at ~ 1000RPM and at load ~ 2500RPM. The compact size made installing it in my mid tower case much easier. Performance wise, it's as fast or faster than anything in it's price bracket. A great deal at ~ $137, but even at $150 it's a good value. I don't overclock, so I can't comment on that aspect. But overall I'm pleased.

tersagun

Mar 30, 2011
BTW guys, there are 2 power adapters coming from the box as I've seen; both converting 1 molex to 1 6pin.

Wasn't those adapters 2 molex to 1 6pin? Are those adapters from the box really enough to supply energy and if yes, why do most of the other adapters require 2 molex's?

Last edited: