SAPPHIRE 100282XTREME Radeon HD 5850 $140 FS@newegg

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Uhtrinity

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2003
BTW guys, there are 2 power adapters coming from the box as I've seen; both converting 1 molex to 1 6pin.

Wasn't those adapters 2 molex to 1 6pin? Are those adapters from the box really enough to supply energy and if yes, why do most of the other adapters require 2 molex's?

Two adapters so they can be used on two different rails. Most two connector adapters are also made to use on two different rails.

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
This must be a windows 7 issue.Im running XP and firefox 4 and my card downclocks.performance wise my cpu is definitely holding me back.temps are good low 30's at idle and low 60's on load.I started using trixx custom fan profiles and the card stays in the high 50's under load(furmark).the fan is very quiet up to 50%,60-70% it starts getting loud but not annoying(about as loud as a 120mm yate loon low speed at 12 volts).overclocking,i never overclock a new card right out of the box.I usually wait about a week to make sure the card doesn't have any problems.But i just had to see,first i run autotune and subtract 5-10% and start there.autotune set the clocks at 890-1170,i've been running 800-1100.I'll start bumping the clocks up tonight and see where they go

I wouldn't be surprised if FF4 didn't have the bug in XP - I think it's a Catalyst driver problem, and the W7 driver is probably totally different.

Your CPU is definitely holding you back, but you knew that was going to happen. You still got a fantastic deal on the card - way more performance for the same price never hurt, even if you can't tap it all.

The autotuned clocks of 890/1170 sound a bit high. 890 would be almost impossible to hold without extra voltage, and the card doesn't offer that. Starting at 800/1100 sounds safe (and pretty sweet as a starting point, since it's higher than Catalyst would allow on the core - Sapphire has worked around that limitation).

Edit: you posted while I was replying - your 840 on the core sounds exactly right without extra voltage. I can hold about 860 or so before crashing on stock voltage. Seems like there's nothing gimped about this Sapphire card, but let us know about memory clocks. 1100 is fine but not great. Hopefully you can get above 1150.

I'll be getting mine in on Wednesday according to tracking, but I probably wouldn't do anything over than some brief overclocking until the weekend.

Let us know...sounds like people are having some luck with the card.

Too bad the card is out of stock...would be buyers are probably wondering what the heck we keep bumping this thread for!

hdfxst

May 13, 2009
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...p?EdpNo=199805
I don't know if it ships free

I have a question on the memory testing,will it artifact if it has error correction?I ran the memory up to 1200 and i used furmark,kombustor and heaven 2.5 and i didn't see any anomalys and the score in the benchmarks increased right up to 1200.If i go to far shouldn't the scores decrease?I'm a little confused because i thought the memory was only rated to 1200

Last edited:

Pneumothorax

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2002
Got my card Friday. Works great in my Antec microatx HTPC case. Haven't overclocked due to power and cooling restrictions. Works great CX400 also. Now I need to figure out how to get this Hackintosh thing going! :D

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com

I have a question on the memory testing,will it artifact if it has error correction?I ran the memory up to 1200 and i used furmark,kombustor and heaven 2.5 and i didn't see any anomalys and the score in the benchmarks increased right up to 1200.If i go to far shouldn't the scores decrease?I'm a little confused because i thought the memory was only rated to 1200

I've read that the ram chips on the Sapphire are rated up to 1250. That doesn't mean they can reach that high, due to other board bottlenecks, but that's the theoretical max before you risk damage. If your frames per second continue to increase as you increase the memory clock, then you're not hitting the error correction and you're still fine. You would not see artifacts if you hit error correction, however, so you really have to look carefully at those frames per second in Furmark/Kombustor. I've found that there's a narrow window where error correction kicks in and it slows down, and beyond that, it will actually lock up. Might just be my card though (which is a reference design). I'd say 1200 should be a safe bet. I'd leave it there and see how games perform.

Got my card Friday. Works great in my Antec microatx HTPC case. Haven't overclocked due to power and cooling restrictions. Works great CX400 also. Now I need to figure out how to get this Hackintosh thing going! :D

Nice...this is really an ideal HD5850 for an HTPC case. And the CX400 has plenty of power to handle it.

Freewolf

Diamond Member
Feb 15, 2001
TigerDirect still has this card in stock if anyone is still looking for one.

a_ak57

Dec 28, 2010
Got mine in today, did some brief testing and was able to run heaven 2.5 at 800 core and 1200 memory without getting issues. But I'll do some more testing tomorrow since I don't know for sure that this is stable. Temperatures were good for me, seemed to be in the low 60s at max and around 37-40 at idle.

Of course, for me those temps are incredible since I was previously running crossfired 4890s. This actually outperformed them in the heaven DX10 benchmark, which I was happy about.

Last edited:

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
The 5850 is 145 FS now or if your looking for a 6850 http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php...-HDMI-DisplayPort-PCI-Express-Video-Card&c=CJ use code RABBIT15 for another 15 dollars off for 140 AR and FS and i think it comes with shogun 2

ha, damn... missed out on another $15. I broke down and got the 6850. I'm an avid FF4 user, and will take the power savings and possible crossfire scaling later in a couple years.. if I can find one still. tho, of course now I find out I can't sell the steam key for the game, ha

newegg sold out fast btw of the 5850

Last edited:

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com

Got mine in today, did some brief testing and was able to run heaven 2.5 at 800 core and 1200 memory without getting issues. But I'll do some more testing tomorrow since I don't know for sure that this is stable. Temperatures were good for me, seemed to be in the low 60s at max and around 37-40 at idle.

Of course, for me those temps are incredible since I was previously running crossfired 4890s. This actually outperformed them in the heaven DX10 benchmark, which I was happy about.

Looks like most people are getting to 1200 on the memory, which is a nice threshold to hit, since it equals a 5870. Many of the reviews were only hitting 1100, which was disappointing. As for the core, 800 is good, not fantastic, but not a bad tradeoff for a small, quiet, cool board.

At 800/1200, you'll be about 9-10% behind a 5870, which isn't bad for under $150.

Last edited:

hdfxst

May 13, 2009
Changed the thread title,this card has been great so far.I just hope the next version of trixx supports voltage control

BIGFOOTPI

Golden Member
Mar 8, 2005
Changed the thread title,this card has been great so far.I just hope the next version of trixx supports voltage control

I would also delete the old post sentence "It doesn't say anything about open box,maybe a price mistake?" since its no longer applicable

Modular

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2005
Just picked one up. For $139.99 and free shipping, I just couldn't stand to wait any longer. The 4850 512mb was getting a little long in the tooth - even with an 800mhz core clock.