Santa Clara County: Supervisors ban toys with fast-food meals

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Silly. These happy meal toys for example are only really attractive to kids who are so young they're likely with their parents. My kids like happy meal toys. I generally get them either a burger or chicken and then milk and apples.

Your kids probably also go straight to the toy and only eat a quarter of the actual meal. I know mine do. If anything the toy is a distraction from the food, lol.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
California and all these liberal hippie progressive states are just full of fail and are bringing the rest of the nation down with it by setting a piss poor example.

The fun part is watching the usual suspects defend this exciting new practice brought to you from part of the People's Republic of California.

I can't believe anyone would defend this action, but the resident fruitcakes here rarely disappoint.

Last edited:

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Government has every right to protect its youngest citizens from their parents

Unless they aren't born yet. Then they're fair game.

And before anyone gets their panties in a wad, I'm pro-choice. I just like to point out the ridiculousness of the hypocrisy involved here.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006

And before anyone gets their panties in a wad, I'm pro-choice. I just like to point out the ridiculousness of the hypocrisy involved here.

Citizenship is given at birth, so if they aren't born, they aren't citizens.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
I didn't know "Uncle Sam" referred to Santa Clara County :D

I use "Uncle Sam" as a generic substitute for government. But let me rephrase it so you can answer the question rather than dodging:

Exactly, and guess who should be monitoring what the kids are eating? (HINT: Not Uncle Sam or his retarded cousin, the Santa Clara county supervisor)

MagickMan

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2008
Why don't they just ban fast food, cigs, and booze and be done with it? Oh, now I remember, it's because of the tax revenues.

taxes > your health > your rights

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Why do you hate local control of government so much?

Actually, I dislike big, over-reaching governments like what our federal government is becoming. But regardless of the level of government, I also happen to dislike any part of it with a nanny state "we know what's best for you and your family" mentality. Exhibit 1 in this thread -- Santa Clara county.

So are you ever going to answer my question or are you just going to keep diverting?

Last edited:

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Your kids probably also go straight to the toy and only eat a quarter of the actual meal. I know mine do. If anything the toy is a distraction from the food, lol.
They really aren't too bad but I do have to take it away sometimes first.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007

You know what happens when you assume right?

I support the government restricting abortion (for example the trimester limits), and would support banning abortion if it was practical and didn't create its own ethical problems.

For example if the government could extract a fetus and raise it in some kind of gestation chamber, then pay for its entire upbringing, banning abortion would be great.

Last edited:

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
I can almost guarantee that coming from him, it is his 100% sincere belief. Amazing, isn't it?

So you don't think the government has an obligation and legal right to protect children? Does that mean we can stop requiring education? Maybe we should repeal child abuse laws? Should the government tell people whether or not they can sexually exploit their cihldren?

The freedomz oh gnoezz!!!

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
So you don't think the government has an obligation and legal right to protect children? Does that mean we can stop requiring education? Maybe we should repeal child abuse laws? Should the government tell people whether or not they can sexually exploit their cihldren?

And they should protect children from the wrong reading material, and the wrong clothes, and the kind of things they can talk to their parents about. Either you support the ownership if your children by government or you want your child raped!

There are lots of perfectly fine dictatorships. Why don't you find one? You are the kind of person they're looking for.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
So you don't think the government has an obligation and legal right to protect children?

Absolutely I do -- your argument, however, was that the government was "protecting" the kids from their parents by hopefully cutting down on the number of kids meals they consumed by removing the toys. That is NOT protecting the kids -- that is plain stupid.

Does that mean we can stop requiring education? Maybe we should repeal child abuse laws? Should the government tell people whether or not they can sexually exploit their cihldren?

Exaggerate much? You take a lame, stupid ordinance (the Santa Clara one), claiming they are only "protecting the kids from their parents," and are now trying to equate it with child sex abuse laws? Seriously? That is ALL you can come up with?

Geesh.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
And they should protect children from the wrong reading material, and the wrong clothes, and the kind of things they can talk to their parents about. Either you support the ownership if your children by government or you want your child raped!

There are lots of perfectly fine dictatorships. Why don't you find one? You are the kind of person they're looking for.

Give me a break. This is a ban on TOYS with fast food meals. If you really have an ideological problem with that, maybe you should think about food safety regulations too. After all, why should the government tell a parent he can't feed his kid rat poison and roach laden food?

Hell, maybe you should go and protest the restrictions on cigarette advertising which is probably the closest thing to this regulation.

This community decided to restrict a method of advertising unhealthy products to kids. That kind of thing can happen in a democracy. End of story. Get over it and stop crying.

Last edited:

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The direction this country is heading makes me sick to my stomach.

Seeing it cheered on by the usual suspects in this forum does the same.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
The direction this country is heading makes me sick to my stomach.

Seeing it cheered on by the usual suspects in this forum does the same.

It is truly amazing. No matter what whacked out, perverted laws/ordinances/regulations are passed, you can count on the usual assortment of lefty fruitcakes here to cheer on the government.