Santa Clara County: Supervisors ban toys with fast-food meals

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
I didn't see this posted yet, but I haven't had much time to browse the forum today:

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_14968786?source=most_viewed&nclick_check=1

Hoping again to be a pioneer in promoting healthier eating, Santa Clara County supervisors on Tuesday approved the nation's first ordinance that would prevent restaurants from using toys to lure kids to meals high in fat, sugar and calories.
The law prohibits restaurants in unincorporated parts of the county from giving away goodies unless the meals meet certain nutritional guidelines. More and more in recent years, fast-food critics say restaurants have encouraged families to make unhealthy choices by offering Iron Man Cyclone Spinning Robot Drones and Barbie Mermaid dolls with their kids' meals.
Though the crackdown will affect no more than a handful of restaurants, county supervisors hope their vote will create a ripple effect in cities, other counties and the state — similar to how Santa Clara County helped to lead the way on forcing fast-food chains to post calorie counts on menus. They also hoped this latest push would prod the restaurant industry to take notice.
Judging from Tuesday's standing-room-only crowd in the county board chamber and the ensuing national news reports on the vote, they succeeded.

Seriously, where are we going to draw the line? The government (in this case, local) seems to continue to push the limits in order to "protect" us. Is this the America that the "progressives" really want?

EDIT: The original story has apparently disappeared. Here is a link to other coverage:

http://www.postchronicle.com/news/breakingnews/article_212298371.shtml

Last edited:

nonlnear

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2008
Not only is this law stupid, it is useless as well. Anyone can circumvent it with a little imagination. "We sell toys for $1.50. However with any purchase, you are eligible to purchase a toy for 10 cents, limit one per child under 12."

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
I didn't see this posted yet, but I haven' had much time to browse the forum today:

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_14968786?source=most_viewed&nclick_check=1

Seriously, where are we going to draw the line? The government (in this case, local) seems to continue to push the limits in order to "protect" us. Is this the America that the "progressives" really want?

The single best way to deal with this would be for the affected businesses to close up shop in that county.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
The single best way to deal with this would be for the affected businesses to close up shop in that county.

Or, for parents and families to frequent these places even more to show the county supervisors that their little fit had the opposite intended effect.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Unincorporated - how many places are in that area?

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Not very many - this is more of a publicity stunt than anything else.

I'll be walking over to closest McDonald's in Sunnyvale today for a Happy Meal!

Make sure you mail the toy to the Santa Clara County Supervisor office with a letter explaining where they can stuff it.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Silly. These happy meal toys for example are only really attractive to kids who are so young they're likely with their parents. My kids like happy meal toys. I generally get them either a burger or chicken and then milk and apples.

GoPackGo

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2003
California and all these liberal hippie progressive states are just full of fail and are bringing the rest of the nation down with it by setting a piss poor example.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
jesus christ i swear our government is going to keep passing such bullshit laws and intruding on the lives of its people where eventually there is going to be a revolution. The dumbass politicians will be scratching their heads wondering why....

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
McDonalds actually has some healthy choices for adults (salads, chicken wraps) , but no healthy happy meals for kids, just burgers and nuggets.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
McDonalds actually has some healthy choices for adults (salads, chicken wraps) , but no healthy happy meals for kids, just burgers and nuggets.

Exactly, and guess who should be monitoring what the kids are eating? (HINT: Not Uncle Sam)