Sandy Bridge - So why is chip DRM okay but Serial # wasn't?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kamisama

Jan 16, 2011
I ask this for a very good reason...not all people who use P2P are, "pirates."

I collect extremely rare, long out-of-print, and/or unlicensed Japanese, Korean, Chinese, and Taiwanese film, TV, and animation. None of these items will EVER be offered for sale in the US...EVER. At best, they are fansubbed...a practice that is generally applauded by Asian film markets...and, actually started by them...to increase interest in said art. In fact, it was Panasonic and SONY who originally started the fansub craze.

What I am wondering is not how to "steal" currently licensed US content...which I wouldn't watch if you paid me...but rather the possible problems for collectors of VERY arcane stuff that would otherwise be lost forever.

Thanks...and yes...this is a real concern of many people with regard to DRM technologies, and the like.

Hmmm: I think that translates into..."Hey, I really like watching crappy "B" and "C" List movies...because I am a geeky loser." LMAO

Last edited:

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I tire of the pirate vs consumer argument. If they spent nearly as much time on production value as trying to prevent the make believe % of pirates from stealing their content, people might be more willing to pay. Companies are free to do whatever they want as a DRM, it's their money, but they SHOULD NOT be dragging the government into it. If I don't like their DRM, I will not buy their product.

People are becoming complacent and allowing changes in our rights. Hollywood/Software makers deserve NO MORE RIGHTS over something I've purchased than any other company. Unfortunately this is becoming more and more of an issue. They are the ones standing in the way of the future. They lost their iron grip on their products years ago and are struggling to get it back. They WANT you to buy multiple versions of their products over and over in multiple formats.

Almost every form can be gone around in some manner. And it's been shown many times that legit customers are the ones who end up getting screwed, not the pirates. This is the endless cycle they can't seem to get their heads around. People who are going to buy their product WILL buy their product. People who aren't, AREN'T!

We've seen the numbers countless times. Quality products break sales records. Just because your shitty movie didn't sell and you see 1000 ppl downloading it on a torrent doesn't mean you missed a sale. It means thats ~900 other people probably getting ready to say "god, I'm glad I didn't buy that".

Kamisama

Jan 16, 2011
I tire of the pirate vs consumer argument. If they spent nearly as much time on production value as trying to prevent the make believe % of pirates from stealing their content, people might be more willing to pay. Companies are free to do whatever they want as a DRM, it's their money, but they SHOULD NOT be dragging the government into it. If I don't like their DRM, I will not buy their product.

People are becoming complacent and allowing changes in our rights. Hollywood/Software makers deserve NO MORE RIGHTS over something I've purchased than any other company. Unfortunately this is becoming more and more of an issue. They are the ones standing in the way of the future. They lost their iron grip on their products years ago and are struggling to get it back. They WANT you to buy multiple versions of their products over and over in multiple formats.

Almost every form can be gone around in some manner. And it's been shown many times that legit customers are the ones who end up getting screwed, not the pirates. This is the endless cycle they can't seem to get their heads around. People who are going to buy their product WILL buy their product. People who aren't, AREN'T!

We've seen the numbers countless times. Quality products break sales records. Just because your shitty movie didn't sell and you see 1000 ppl downloading it on a torrent doesn't mean you missed a sale. It means thats ~900 other people probably getting ready to say "god, I'm glad I didn't buy that".

Yes, but has it been determined if Sandy Bridge is DRM capable, or DRM enabled? That is the crux of the matter.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
First I've heard of it, but I would guess that it's possible that the H67 would have it since its the GPU one with the fancy conversion stuff. Again, I'm sure someone would just create a custom firmware that goes around it...

Kamisama

Jan 16, 2011
True, but I think most geeks will go P67, so it shouldn't be too much of an issue. Oh well, I think I'm still going 980X though...or just wait until my Q9650 explodes from doing too much editing and DAW work. LOL

Kamisama

Jan 16, 2011

Signifying what? Answers beat cynicism and the assumption that the asker is a moron every time. Ad hominem isn't an answer.

I do, however, apologize for not knowing everything about every topic on Earth.

Last edited:

Kamisama

Jan 16, 2011
Among other things, I recently ripped a movie, transcoded it to work with a PSP I'm borrowing, and played it using a memory stick. That isn't stealing, it's fair use, yet it's illegal to do because of the DMCA since I had to break the CSS encryption on the DVD. My HTPC also functions as a jukebox for uncompressed Bluray discs I legally own (used in much the same way as your netbook + DVD ISO files). Again the DMCA makes this type of fair use illegal.

Currently I can get around the limitations of DRM using software, but if this type of encryption is coded into the hardware it will pose lots of problems for me and I will most likely refuse to buy it. The problem here is there are only two vendors of CPUs out there for desktops, and both are all too willing to bend over for big content.

My questions precisely.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999

You feel the same way about banks and retailers? They wouldn't have shoplifters and bank robbers if they only spent more time improving their product and they shouldn't be getting the goverment involved either?

What about ID theft?

People steal all the time, blaming the victim for being the victim is just sad.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
You should install Bioshock now. They removed the DRM eventually so you can install it on as many machines as you want now. Provided you own them all of course. ;)

Considering the way that the RIAA and MPAA behave... yes, I would consider them "criminals".

Edit: Sorry Mark, I posted this before I saw your warning.

I'm no fan of DRM in general, and think it should be boycotted. I haven't purchased any major PC games, since I bought bioshock when it came out, and then found out I could only install it 'X' number of times. So I never installed it, since I'm always changing my rigs around.

Just be glad that current PC OSes and software are as "open" as they are. There's a lot of really nefarious shit just around the corner. Politicians wanting to regulate the internet, companies (mostly media-producing companies), wanting to "fully lock-down" the PC experience, consolize it, so that no-one is capable of piracy on their systems. Witness the rise of this "Cloud computing" crap, which is really just client-server computing warmed over with a new name, in which you no longer own any of "your" data or programs, you just pay for access to them, and when those mega-conglomerates want, they will shut you out, or raise your rates, and you will have no choice but to comply, for they will own your computing experience - the end-user will be stripped of ownership rights completely.

I call it techno-feudalism, the concept that we are returning to the dark days of feudalism, in which there are a few powerful lords, that actually own everything, and then there will be the masses as serfs, that are only allowed to use, and not own, anything, and they work for the lords, because they have no choice.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
You feel the same way about banks and retailers? They wouldn't have shoplifters and bank robbers if they only spent more time improving their product and they shouldn't be getting the goverment involved either?

What about ID theft?

Banks and retailers should have cameras, armed guards, attack dogs, war ships with nuclear warheads and sharks with frickin laser beams. No one gets my money.

Now, back on topic. You're twisting my words. I didn't say people don't steal, and I did not advocate stealing in any form. I'm talking about products purchased. You'll note my first paragraph said they are free to put any DRM they want, and I'll be free to say, sorry, not spending my money on it if I don't like their DRM. That does not mean I'm going to steal it.

People put a value on everything. Some people have no values.

PreferLinux

Dec 29, 2010
Does DRM/Intel Insider restrict any CURRENT media? Also, will it restrict people who CHOOSE to use P2P sources for music and video.
NO. It is basically the same as HDCP, which is to prevent media with the copy protection being intercepted while being processed. i.e. it stops you intercepting media with the instruction to turn it on while it is being processed.

Voo

Golden Member
Feb 27, 2009

What about ID theft?

I think that analogy doesn't really hold - I mean the bankrobber doesn't actually have a way superior experience compared to normal people (apart from it being cheaper to get the good), normal people can use their money in every way they want and so on.

As long as banks don't start to dictate in what way you're allowed to spend your own money, that just doesn't work..

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
As long as banks don't start to dictate in what way you're allowed to spend your own money, that just doesn't work..

And this would be the equivalent bank analogy. Banks would have to say "You may only shop at approved stores. And to make sure that someone hasn't stolen your account, we will limit it to 5 stores for the rest of your life (unless you want to purchase a new back account). Oh, and you can't just withdraw and manage your own money; after all, you might give it to thieves, terrorists or counterfeiters, and we can't have that!" before they would match the current DRM standards.

I can understand the media industries desire to protect their source of revenue. The problem is, they are in industry where in order for the entertainment to be worth anything, every single layer of DRM has to be decoded and the product must be accessed. In the end, it is impossible for a protection scheme to protect something that MUST eventually be played back. A simple camcorder or tape recorder will bypass all that protection.

Kamisama

Jan 16, 2011
NO. It is basically the same as HDCP, which is to prevent media with the copy protection being intercepted while being processed. i.e. it stops you intercepting media with the instruction to turn it on while it is being processed.

Thanks. It is nice to see someone actually talking about the question at hand, rather than pontificating on how just and holy they are. LOL

Your input is appreciated.

BTW, I could go into just about any house in the US, including those owned by the police and MPAA/RIAA members...and I will find some form of pirated media.