Discussion Samsung S10/S10+ News

dawheat

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
I just got Pie on my S9+ and I have to say I like it. The gestures are intuitive though it's fighting against years of muscle memory. I like getting every inch of screen for display and not having the half inch nav bar.

The reachability changes are also pretty useful for such a tall phone. The update went normally and there's no jankiness once the update completed and it does seem a bit more fluid.

One thing I don't like is the change in Samsung internet to move the bookmarks icon in the menu icon. Now instead of being able to one click to bring up my next site I have to do 2 clicks. Boo.

I had been planning on getting the S10+ but now I'm not so sure based on how much I'm liking the new UI.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I just got Pie on my S9+ and I have to say I like it. The gestures are intuitive though it's fighting against years of muscle memory. I like getting every inch of screen for display and not having the half inch nav bar.

I hate them. How do I double tap the recent apps button to go to the last app with the gestures? I way preferred the old nav bar that you could set to hide.

dawheat

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
I hate them. How do I double tap the recent apps button to go to the last app with the gestures? I way preferred the old nav bar that you could set to hide.
Good point. This is new enough I didn't think about that.

I'm not sure if the replacement is that swiping up on recent apps brings up apps and automatically focuses on the last used app so you can immediately click it. It's not as fast as the old double click but it's not too bad.

No idea if there's some additional gesture I'm missing.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
That camera cutout is so, so bad. It's like Samsung looked at the notches other companies were doing and thought, "how can we make this 10 times worse?"

dawheat

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
I look forward to trying the ultrasonic fingerprint reader. I have very dry hands so current scanners are hit and miss for me on any device (including Touch ID). I'm really hoping this makes it more reliable with the added benefit of working when hands are wet.

Ceramic white S10+ ordered - 12GB + 512MB is probably overkill but I had a credit on samsung.com + the trade-in made it not too bad.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
I look forward to trying the ultrasonic fingerprint reader. I have very dry hands so current scanners are hit and miss for me on any device (including Touch ID). I'm really hoping this makes it more reliable with the added benefit of working when hands are wet.

Ceramic white S10+ ordered - 12GB + 512MB is probably overkill but I had a credit on samsung.com + the trade-in made it not too bad.

I kinda wanted the ceramic black, but it was just a little too steep. I'll stick with the basic 10+.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

12GB of RAM only comes with the 1TB version of the S10+ and it costs $1600. Are you sure you ordered the right device?

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
I think I will do the 10, not the 10+. I just dont like having a huge phone in my pocket, especially when you add a case to it. I love the Gear IconX too, I have had both sets and a free pair of the new ones sounds good to me. Smaller, last longer, seems to be better all around.

Not interested in the folding phone, yet. I dont have facebook, insta, twitter, or anything else like that. I dont really scroll or use more than one app at a time. I can already text in a smaller box while leaving up whatever screen I have up anyways. I really dont even use my phone all that much. I cant use it at work, stays locked in my car. So a big part of the day I dont even have it. Maybe in a generation or two when they get better.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Ordered the S10+ Prism white 128gb version. I already have a 400gb SD card so I really didn't feel like paying for storage I probably won't use. Plus i usually get the Note versions then the S version. I flip phones every 6-8 months. It's a sickness I have. Will be putting my Pixel 3 up for sale this weekend for a few hundred. With the Note 8 trade in and the selling of a pixel 3 the S10+ will probably come out to be $150. And getting the new wireless earbuds which I could probably flip for $100, the phone should cost a measly 50 buck!

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
I got the base Plus, don't need all that extra ram or expensive memory. I got spare micro SD cards laying around. I did like the ceramic black but not paying that much since I have to put on a case anyways.

I was very close to getting the Pixel 3 XL but waited to see how the S10 was. The really huge ugly notch turned me off the Pixel and it having only 4GB ram since I'll be having this phone for a few years. But the headphone port on the S10 sealed the deal.

I really was hoping they would improve the facial recognition to be much more secure getting close to Apple's since I can't use fingerprint readers but it's not the end of the world.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I got the base Plus, don't need all that extra ram or expensive memory. I got spare micro SD cards laying around. I did like the ceramic black but not paying that much since I have to put on a case anyways.

I was very close to getting the Pixel 3 XL but waited to see how the S10 was. The really huge ugly notch turned me off the Pixel and it having only 4GB ram since I'll be having this phone for a few years. But the headphone port on the S10 sealed the deal.

I really was hoping they would improve the facial recognition to be much more secure getting close to Apple's since I can't use fingerprint readers but it's not the end of the world.
I find the facial recognition on the last few samsung phones to work pretty good. I really don't know about how "secure" it can be, it just works to unlock my phone. Its not like i am a spy or something. now the iris recognition never worked well at all. I assume they ditched it on the S10?

lsd

Golden Member
Sep 26, 2000

I would have been happy with battery life similar to the mate 20. If it really turns out to be better that would be great.
Very impressive battery life, that alone will make me upgrade from the note 9. But the question is will the sd 855 be as impressive?

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Ordered the S10+, blue with 128. Annoyingly, had to order from Samsung, but at least I get a free pair of IconX, the new version. Which I will use, I had the first, now have the second and use them 5-6 times a week. But only color option was white :/ Maybe can take to the store and exchange.

Apparently I am the only person left in the area on the old school unlimited plan. My city is not huge, little over 100k, but at the only real Verizon store (not cellular sales) they claimed I was the last one. It was a nightmare to get it changed back after I bought my S3 watch and they automatically changed me to some bs plan with 4gb. Took several months but finally got it done. Now they will not touch my plan, and told me to buy from Samsung and change out the sim. So be it, maybe just being stubborn, but I will not give up my unlimited plan. I dont get capped, or slow down on speeds when racking up gb's. Just a pain in the ass to not be able to go to the store.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Well, my prism white S10+ and wireless earbuds just came in! Charging it to 100% so I can migrate my stuff from the note 9. Looks and feels great. Comes with a pre-installed screen cover. Nice. Probably take it off after a while.

dawheat

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
Well, my prism white S10+ and wireless earbuds just came in! Charging it to 100% so I can migrate my stuff from the note 9. Looks and feels great. Comes with a pre-installed screen cover. Nice. Probably take it off after a while.

Nice - mine comes in today. Annoying that Fedex doesn't provide real time location updates so you're basically hoping someone is home whenever they show up between 8 and 8. Doesn't feel very 2019.