Question Samsung Magician can't update my 980 PRO

FCss

Dec 8, 2011
I just switched from a 1TB 970 EVO Plus to a 1TB 980 Pro as my system drive. There is a new firmware for the 980 and I wanted to update it but for some reason in the Samsung software drive health is N/A, I can see the temperature, the serial number and the current firmware but it doesn't show up under the update option as my 970.
I tried to move the drive to the second slot but the result was the same, so I downloaded the firmware and created a bootable usb stick. There I had another problem, Samsung updater starts - press any key and nothing happens. I even digged out an old ps2 keyboard, but no, it's stuck at press any key forever.

My specs:

ASUS x570 Prime Pro, 5900x, 2x3TB SATA WD in RAID 1, and the two NVMe drives. Win10 with the latest updates, latest AMD drivers, latest Magician.

Anyone experienced something similar?

Billy Tallis

Aug 4, 2015
Win10 with the latest updates, latest AMD drivers, latest Magician.
Actual version numbers, please. Including the firmware currently on the SSD and on the updater you manually downloaded.

Samsung Magician's built-in self update functionality is extremely unreliable in my experience, and it will often claim to be the latest version even when there's clearly a newer version available on Samsung's website.

FCss

Dec 8, 2011
2B2QGXA7 is the current firmware 3B2QGXA7 the downloaded, everything else is freshly downloaded from AMD and Samsung /so amd chipset 2.13.27.501, magician 6.3.0/

NewMaxx

Aug 11, 2007
Make sure to run Magician as administrator, I had at least one user who needed to do that. Although that shouldn't cause your specific issue...

Last edited:

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
You have RAID mode . The Magician install notes show:
"RAID on mode in SATA configuration is not supported by Samsung Magician and USB bootable solution.
I see the 970 reports but perhaps there is a connection.

FCss

Dec 8, 2011
I know, but I only have SATA RAID /my storage drives/, NVMe RAID is disabled. I also thought that this could be the problem, so I disconnected the SATA drives and changed the mode to AHCI, but no luck.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Elaborating for posts by Billy Tallis and NewMaxx.

There may be an intersection of causality between the problem I had beginning January (that I know of), and the OP's situation.

I discovered that "Sleep" and "Hibernate" were not working properly on my system with 32 GB RAM. I specifically make sure when I build and configure my systems that these features work. As I began the troubleshooting process and contemplated all sorts of delay and difficulty in the process, I happened to run a search on "Failure to resume properly from sleep and hibernate and event description 'INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR'". Samsung 960 Pro outdated driver!! But Magician hadn't given me indication that a new driver was needed or available.

So, you can tell me "been there, done that -- you wastin' my time", but I suggest first -- updating Samsung Magician, then updating the driver (if at all possible, because the OP is referring to a 980 -- which is the latest model). I suspect Magician for this. Tell me I'm wrong . . .

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Running Magician as administrator work in my case.
Magician v6.3
980 Pro firmware to 3B2QGXA7 (from 2Bsomething)
Huh. . . I didn't think of that. I don't think I"d ever had trouble before without minding the "Run as Administrator" setting.

But the main thing that saved me grief was the web-search for the cause of my sleep-hibernation problem, and I was able to download the new driver without Magician.

Soon, I'm going to be trying out these new SK HYNIX P31 "Gold" NVMEs. They rely on the Windows "Native" driver, I think. Less fuss and bother. The "Trim" and other maintenance features can be handled by Windows anyway.

FCss

Dec 8, 2011
So, you can tell me "been there, done that -- you wastin' my time", but I suggest first -- updating Samsung Magician, then updating the driver (if at all possible, because the OP is referring to a 980 -- which is the latest model). I suspect Magician for this. Tell me I'm wrong . . .

I was thinking about to try the Samsung NVMe driver but the latest version on Samsung’s website doesn’t support the 980

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
It's funny. I was reading about the slow down issue for Samsung NVMe drives. It said to update the firmware through Magician. First, I updated Magician and then the firmware update was there. I then updated the firmware. Magician restarted the PC as part of the update process.

Today, I see this thread. Did you try uninstalling Magician completely and try using a fresh install of Magician?

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
You have the 970 drive installed. Is the MS driver installed for its storage controller? Does the 980 drive install and work at specs ? Does Device Manager show the current driver for Samsung storage controllers as 3.3.0.2003 ?

FCss

Dec 8, 2011
I use the MS driver, as I wrote a couple post before the latest driver on Samsung website doesn't support the 980. The drive is working great no problem there. This is very mystical I'm running out of ideas

FCss

Dec 8, 2011
there is a happy ending to the story but the mystery remains. I upgraded my Win10 to 21H1 yesterday and today I started Magician to see if there is maybe a new software update for it. There wasn't but after a couple of seconds in the program all the data for the 980 were filled and the firmware update appeared. I think I'll never know what caused the problem but it’s OK :)