Samsung Galaxy S6 hype thread

Page 30 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Achtung!

Mar 10, 2015
Not even sure what point you're trying to make or imply. Apple components are made from multiple vendors, including Qualcomm, Samsung, and others and are fabbed by multiple vendors like TSMC and Samsung. They do tend to be assembled in China.

The S6 may have a higher proportion of components fabbed internally, but assembly AFAIK is still split among many locations including Korea, Malaysia, and China.

The S6 has many components sourced internally from Samsung. But many components are also from US companies. And assembly occurs in the countries you mentioned.

Apple gets its components from many sources. It's like the flea market in some ways.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004

dawheat

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
The S6 has many components sourced internally from Samsung. But many components are also from US companies. And assembly occurs in the countries you mentioned.

Apple gets its components from many sources. It's like the flea market in some ways.

This is meaningless to a purchasing decision unless you're a Samsung stockholder. Samsung has always shown a willingness to use 3rd party vendors if they are superior. That's why QC SOCs have been used in the past and both the Note 4/S6 use Sony sensors.

Commodus said:
They do have a point... Samsung was practically begging for an embarrassing will-it-bend video with the hubris it exhibited at the GS6 launch event. It's not a practical concern in real life, but the bend shows why you never, ever make that kind of "it's impervious!" claim in marketing material -- someone will inevitably prove you wrong.

Like I mentioned in the other thread, I think the "standardized" bend tests being done are pointless since all phones are sufficiently strong at the middle. The "problem" with the 6 Plus was a specific point where it could deform under relatively low force. It's a unique point of weakness to the IP6+ and it's somewhat pointless to try to "test" for it in other phones.

If it was worth the time (which it isn't), a more specific test would be something like having the phone clamped at both ends with a soft/foam roller pushing on the back of the phone. Have it set at different amounts of force and "roll" it along the full length of the phone. Keep ramping up the force after each pass to find points of weakness.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
They do have a point... Samsung was practically begging for an embarrassing will-it-bend video with the hubris it exhibited at the GS6 launch event. It's not a practical concern in real life, but the bend shows why you never, ever make that kind of "it's impervious!" claim in marketing material -- someone will inevitably prove you wrong.

The point of the original "bendgate" was that phones were (allegedly) bending in peoples pockets not that they would bend in an hydraulic press.

It was showing that the way phones were being tested bared no resemblance to what they went through in the real world.

Sticking yet another phone in a press is missing the point spectacularly.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
The point of the original "bendgate" was that phones were (allegedly) bending in peoples pockets not that they would bend in an hydraulic press.

It was showing that the way phones were being tested bared no resemblance to what they went through in the real world.

Sticking yet another phone in a press is missing the point spectacularly.

Oh I know, it's just that Samsung was making bold proclamations about how it wouldn't bend, full stop. That's practically setting up a situation like this, even if the "proof" isn't strictly accurate. Better to be conservative and let people figure it out on their own than invite problems.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Oh I know, it's just that Samsung was making bold proclamations about how it wouldn't bend, full stop. That's practically setting up a situation like this, even if the "proof" isn't strictly accurate. Better to be conservative and let people figure it out on their own than invite problems.

Everything bends eventually.

Companies marketing depts may be asinine but there's no need to join in.

Dannar26

Mar 13, 2012
The bending thing is so dumb.

The snapdragon 810 sounds like a disappointment. As does the M9.

Looks like the S6 is the best way to go to replace my S4.

But even so, nothing feels very compelling to upgrade to. I'm not sure if it will be worth waiting for the next iteration of Note. They'll probably try to jam 4k on the display while nixing the SD card slot and removable battery. All the while never adding water resistance.

I think the S5 had everything right...it's just not worth the jump from an S4.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I think the S5 had everything right...it's just not worth the jump from an S4.

The S5 is great if you need the stuff that the S5 does. ;)

Using my phone to take vids of my kids learning to swim in the swimming pool is fantastic.
Swapping out the stock battery for a 3500mAh one so the phone lasts a full day is fantastic.

If you dont need to do either of those two things stick with your S4.

Dannar26

Mar 13, 2012
I work outside in the elements at times. This wasn't an issue when I bought my S4, but now I can't simply avoid bad weather at my convenience. It's likely that I'll get a case that takes care of this, as I never let a phone go naked. But it would be nice to have the extra layer of resistance. From spilled drinks, to inclement weather, to kids... I think that our devices should grow towards resistance.

The other important part that I'm praising on the S5 is the 1080p screen. I don't know if jamming all these pixels in is really doing anything other than stressing our batteries and CPUs...A 1080p S6 seems like it would have been a better device.

Achtung!

Mar 10, 2015

Well Samsung succeeded in attention seeking for its new Galaxy S6 flagship.

I guess it sort of proves them wrong, but this was the S6 edge bend test and considering how the screen was the point of impact, not the aluminum edges, then this may mean that the test was biased since the HTC One M9 and iPhone 6 have aluminum edges that make a fence around the screen.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Samsung's in-house modem Shannon333 may turn out to be a potential show-stopper. The modem is the same one used in the Note 4 LTE-A (Korea-only version) as noted by AT.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8805/samsung-launches-the-galaxy-note-4-ltea

Reading various anecdotes and user reviews @XDA, the Exynos 7420's power efficiency seems very real, a lot more efficient than 28nm Snapdragons. (let's pretend the S810 does not exist..) BUT quite a few users report high idle power drain on LTE, which shows as "Cell Standby" in battery usage.

At this time all the reports are from T-Mobile users, so it is difficult to know whether this is a hardware problem or a firmware issue, but it is something to look out for. After all, this is the first flagship smartphone that runs on non-Qualcomm modem in years.

WMMo5uV.png

BZcQ8U7.png

Achtung!

Mar 10, 2015
Samsung's in-house modem Shannon333 may turn out to be a potential show-stopper. The modem is the same one used in the Note 4 LTE-A (Korea-only version) as noted by AT.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8805/samsung-launches-the-galaxy-note-4-ltea

Reading various anecdotes and user reviews @XDA, the Exynos 7420's power efficiency seems very real, a lot more efficient than 28nm Snapdragons. (let's pretend the S810 does not exist..) BUT quite a few users report high idle power drain on LTE, which shows as "Cell Standby" in battery usage.

At this time all the reports are from T-Mobile users, so it is difficult to know whether this is a hardware problem or a firmware issue, but it is something to look out for. After all, this is the first flagship smartphone that runs on non-Qualcomm modem in years.

WMMo5uV.png

BZcQ8U7.png

No far no reports of any LTE problems, so I doubt it's going to be a problem.

And when are they getting LTE-A in the US.

Korea/Japan always tends to be 5 years ahead of everyone else!

dawheat

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000

There was an update that QC is supplying a meaningful amount of modems as the model tested by chipworks was the SM-G920I which looks like a market specific 4G+ version. It's not yet clear what US versions are using.

Many on the tmo forums report standby drastically improving if WiFi is disabled and are possibly attributing it to a lollipop issue affecting many phones.

However talk times of the Tmo version seem to suffer more vs. web or video times compared to the S5. It very well may be the modem.

mohit9206

Golden Member
Jul 2, 2013
Does anyone actually prefer having a QHD display rather than better battery life?
What would you rather have? Also exactly why do we need QHD on mobile phone displays anyway?

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Because even The Verge loves the QHD resolution over 1080p.

This means they can tell apart QHD from 1080p.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-nb0lNIaw0

You can tell it's Quad HD if you look up close, but I wouldn't say that it's all that noticeable at typical viewing distances. It's more of a nice-to-have feature than anything... and I think Samsung felt compelled to do it lest people think the GS6 was just more of the same. A bit of a shame, really, since 1080p would have probably led to better battery life.