News Samsung Announces Galaxy Note10 & Note10+: A Redesign With Feature Disparity

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
Well it depends. I am a big fan of iPhones, and I was holding on to my iPhone X for dear life. But at this point, it really is time to switch to Note 10+ despite the fact that Samsung is notorious for their horrible speaker quality, especially when compared to the iPhone.

Pros of switching to a Note 10+ from the original X:

1) The Samsung DeX feature is worth the switch alone. An extra full featured computer/gaming console? Why the hell not?!
2)Hugely bigger and much more quality screen. Yes please!
3)Arguably better camera in every way. Definitely, especially if true.
4)Much faster wireless as well as wired charging. Where do I sign up?
5)Ability to charge other devices wirelessly from the phone itself. Useful!
6)Much bigger battery. Yes!
7)Expendable storage. Yes!
8)Ability to record screen built in to the phone software. Oh yesss!
9)Amazing pre-order and trade-in deals...

And I'm not even mentioning the pen, the screen fingerprint sensor, etc.

Cons of switching to the Samsung:

1) Worse sound. :(
2)No more iMessage :(
3)No beautiful emogi! :(
4)No more Apple watch(which I hardly ever use)
5)No more excellent Apple EarPods. :(
6)The punchout hole for the camera reducing the screen size. :(

Sad panda... But I can live with that, considering all the pros.

Last edited:

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
As this thread died b4 it started, I'll give my thoughts on your pros & cons:

1) The Samsung DeX feature is worth the switch alone. An extra full featured computer/gaming console? Why the hell not?!
I already have a laptop. DeX serves no purpose.

2)Hugely bigger and much more quality screen. Yes please!
I hear you, and I agree. Samung's big screens is what made me leave Apple in the first place.

3)Arguably better camera in every way. Definitely, especially if true.
I have the iPhone XS Max, and I like the camera. If the Note 10+ improves on that, then good. Time will tell if it's good enough to make me upgrade.

4)Much faster wireless as well as wired charging. Where do I sign up? I'm on the fence when it comes to the faster wifi. I just upgraded my network last year, and have no plans on going to wifi 6.
I've used wireless charging for a while now, and don't see going back to wired.

5)Ability to charge other devices wirelessly from the phone itself. Useful! Is it though? I don't see ever letting some stranger using my phone to charge theirs.

6)Much bigger battery. Yes! Yes indeed!!!

7)Expendable storage. Yes! I don't need this anymore. I stream everything now. 128GB will do me fine.

8)Ability to record screen built in to the phone software. Oh yesss! Don't see using this either, but I can see it being handy if you post videos on youtube.

9)Amazing pre-order and trade-in deals... True, but I had a great deal on an iPhone X, and my XS max with at&t. Also had a good deal on my Note 8.

1) Worse sound. I never had a problem with sound on my Samsung phones, but I'll agree that the iPhone sound is better.

2)No more iMessage For me the best app on the iPhone is facetime. I simply love it, and don't know why android hasn't copied it by now. iMessage is just like any other text app to me.

3)No beautiful emogi! Again Samsung, copy this!!!

4)No more Apple watch(which I hardly ever use) I don't see ever getting an Apple watch. I had the Samsung Gear S, and like you stopped using it after a month or so.

5)No more excellent Apple EarPods. You can use these with Android phones if you want to. The question is why would you want to. The sound from the earpods are mediocre at best. I use the Jabra Elite Active 65t Earbuds, and they are much
better sounding than the Apple earpods. They aren't alone in sounding better though. Apples own Beats Powerbeats Pro blow the earpods away when it comes to sound. They are a bit more in cost though.

6)The punchout hole for the camera reducing the screen size. Worst than the notch? Yikes!!!

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
Well, you're coming from an XS Max, so for you it really doesn't make sense to switch. Your screen is already great. And the XS Max is an improvement over the X in many ways anyway.

I still say DeX is great because it's so much more portable than a laptop or a tablet. wherever you go, all you need is a TV or a monitor. And did you know someone already ported Linux over?

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
I still say DeX is great because it's so much more portable than a laptop or a tablet. wherever you go, all you need is a TV or a monitor. And did you know someone already ported Linux over?
No I didn't know that it could have Linux. That's big!

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999

1) Worse sound. :(
2)No more iMessage :(
3)No beautiful emogi! :(
4)No more Apple watch(which I hardly ever use)
5)No more excellent Apple EarPods. :(
6)The punchout hole for the camera reducing the screen size. :(

Sad panda... But I can live with that, considering all the pros.

Worse sound? iphones sound like crap, always have, IMO. Plus, I use PowerAmp on all my android devices. You can use squat with iphones except the built in stuff or apps that wrap around the built in stuff. Poweramp and many other progs let you really finetune your sound.

Excellent earpods? Again, those are garbage for sound quality. The bundled buds that came with the last 3-4 samsung phones are way better. Plus, you can get the samsung buds for free in preorders. I got mine when I got the S10+ and they are so much better than apples pods. I even got them in black with my pre-ordered note 10 Plus. I plan to sell the white ones.

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
The only thing I'll add is that iOS has had built in screen recording for at least a couple of years. I can't recall if it was added in iOS 10 or 11, but it's one of the default buttons in Command Center along with camera and flashlight.

I've always been intrigued by the Note, and the latest version looks really slick. BUT, I've tried 3 different non-Samsung Android phones and there are simply too many little things about the OS that i can't stand. And yes, I know customization, freedom, etc. But, I have fewer nitpicks on the iOS side (and Windows Phone back in the day).

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
The only thing I'll add is that iOS has had built in screen recording for at least a couple of years. I can't recall if it was added in iOS 10 or 11, but it's one of the default buttons in Command Center along with camera and flashlight.

I've always been intrigued by the Note, and the latest version looks really slick. BUT, I've tried 3 different non-Samsung Android phones and there are simply too many little things about the OS that i can't stand. And yes, I know customization, freedom, etc. But, I have fewer nitpicks on the iOS side (and Windows Phone back in the day).
Well, that's primarily Apple forcing you how to use their phone. I myself prefer the almost total freedom of android. And yes, I have tons of iphones. Just not as my daily driver. My daily driver is whatever latest galaxy is the most current.

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
Well, that's primarily Apple forcing you how to use their phone. I myself prefer the almost total freedom of android. And yes, I have tons of iphones. Just not as my daily driver. My daily driver is whatever latest galaxy is the most current.
I have fewer nitpicks with an OS, and that's because the OS forced my hand in how I am to use it? I don't fully understand that line of thinking, but ok, fine.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Mine was shipped. Should be in Wednesday. I saw the 10 Plus at a tmo store yesterday. Phone looks and feels great. Can't wait. I'm gonna start this one from scratch and not import all the apps and settings via USB cable. There are tons of apps in my S10 + that I don't even use. Also bought a 512GB SD card to move my 400GB sd card to. Loads of space.

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
Mine comes in on Friday. AT&T.

EDIT: They updated the shipping date to Wednesday now. Yay!

Last edited:

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Came in a little while ago. Its beautiful! I havent turned it on yet as I am copying the data from my 400sd card from my S10 + to a new 512gb SD card that I plan to use on the Note 10 +. Will give my thoughts on it after it's set up. My bitch-buds and battery came in as well. The battery is much bigger than I thought it would be!

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Came in a little while ago. Its beautiful! I havent turned it on yet as I am copying the data from my 400sd card from my S10 + to a new 512gb SD card that I plan to use on the Note 10 +. Will give my thoughts on it after it's set up. My bitch-buds and battery came in as well. The battery is much bigger than I thought it would be!
Congrats!! What is the battery for?

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
Straight from the main site: https://www.anandtech.com/show/14712/samsung-announces-galaxy-note10-note10
Looks like I'll be keeping my iPhone another year...

No earphone jack on note 10 means I'm less likely buying it. I am not paying a single penny on a Bluetooth one, when there are the wired ones are a less of a hassle. In my opinion, Bluetooth headphones is the dumbest thing humanity could have ever thought of. Seperate battery for each ear pod, fixed maximum sample rate; wired earpods have no extra battery requirement, and no maximum sample rate as the maximum sample is that of the jack it's connected too.

If I do buy it I will just be placed my ear on the phones speaker to listen to music.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oyeve

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
OK, quick review. I love it. The screen is absolutely beautiful. Its fast but not surprising as I have an S10 + and its basically the same processor. The cameras are great, but they have been great since the S7. The new night mode works well. Some of the features show at the keynote are not there, like the 3d scan thing. It feels great in the hand and my only pet peeves are these two: 1. No headphone jack. It really sucks to have to use a dongle. 2. Power button on the left side. After using Galaxy phones for 10 years you get used to it.

At least you can disable the Bixby button to just use it as a power button. Out of the box the power/bixby button sucked as they copied apples stupid iphone in that you have yo hold power and a volume button to turn it off, but there is a setting to just long press it and the off screen will pop up. I played with the pen as thats the main reason i use notes and it works as great as it always has. The gesture thing is, imo, gimmicky and I will probably never use it other than taking group selfies and using the pen button as the shutter press, which you can do with the note 9. The speakers are really loud and sound good and for the life of me I can figure out if they put the speaker below the screen or if its just below the top bezel. Overall I am very happy and satisfied with it.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Mine will be delivered tomorrow...I can't wait...

I also got that battery pack and wireless earbuds gift package for pre-ordering...

Reactions: ibex333

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
OK, quick review. I love it. The screen is absolutely beautiful. Its fast but not surprising as I have an S10 + and its basically the same processor. The cameras are great, but they have been great since the S7. The new night mode works well. Some of the features show at the keynote are not there, like the 3d scan thing. It feels great in the hand and my only pet peeves are these two: 1. No headphone jack. It really sucks to have to use a dongle. 2. Power button on the left side. After using Galaxy phones for 10 years you get used to it.

At least you can disable the Bixby button to just use it as a power button. Out of the box the power/bixby button sucked as they copied apples stupid iphone in that you have yo hold power and a volume button to turn it off, but there is a setting to just long press it and the off screen will pop up. I played with the pen as thats the main reason i use notes and it works as great as it always has. The gesture thing is, imo, gimmicky and I will probably never use it other than taking group selfies and using the pen button as the shutter press, which you can do with the note 9. The speakers are really loud and sound good and for the life of me I can figure out if they put the speaker below the screen or if its just below the top bezel. Overall I am very happy and satisfied with it.

Thanks! Should be getting mine today or tomorrow. FedEx giving me a hard time.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
The 3D Scanning app finally dropped in the Samsung store. Will play around with it and report back.

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
Alright, finally got my Note 10+

Definitely a lot more pros than cons. Really missing the iMessage though, but it does look like SMS is hugely improved here over what it used to be on my Note 4. It's no longer slow as molasses when sending to iPhones. It's actually pretty fast!

Camera - amazing.
design - amazing
screen - best I ever seen
battery - not as good as reviewers say. It does run down pretty fast
reception - overall much better than my iPhone X (this is actually a very big deal, we are talking 4 bars vs 1 bar in many places)
s-pen - useless as always except for taking notes. But honestly, I'd much rather have it than not have it.
video - superb
fingerprint scanner - doesn't work with the case I bought. I'm angry about this, but already ordered a different case to see if things improve.
face recognition - doesn't hold a candle to the iPhone.

Still on the fence about keeping or returning this thing, but the fact that I'm considering keeping it and using it, is a big deal to me, as opposed to any android phone within the last 5 years.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
face recognition - doesn't hold a candle to the iPhone.
How so? You look at it, it unlocks. I prefer the scanner on the Note 10 and even the S10 as it just unlocks and open the phone, unlike my iphone xr which unlocks but I still have to swipe it to open.

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
How so? You look at it, it unlocks. I prefer the scanner on the Note 10 and even the S10 as it just unlocks and open the phone, unlike my iphone xr which unlocks but I still have to swipe it to open.

I agree with you. That particular aspect is much better.

It could be due to that damn case I bought... Will retest without case and with the new one I ordered.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I agree with you. That particular aspect is much better.

It could be due to that damn case I bought... Will retest without case and with the new one I ordered.
Does your case come with a clear front cover? Like an otterbox?

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
Does your case come with a clear front cover? Like an otterbox?

Yes, it's one of those. And yes, I confirmed - without it, both the face ID and the fingerprint sensor work every time. Dang it... I wonder if the new case I ordered will work ok. I got a separate screen protector/cover this time. hopefully that will make a difference.