Question Samsung 860 evo slow benchmark speeds

Pqlamz

Sep 30, 2020
Helo peepal! Recently i bought a samsung 860 evo 250gb ssd and slapped it into my laptop internal sata 3 port everything is working fine except for the speeds. Sequential reads are fine even sequential write are okish but what bothers me the most is the 4k random read/write those are really slow when compared to other people’s SSDs should i be worried or is it normal? AHCI is enabled trim is enabled rapid is disabled and write caching is enabled
Photos
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vAS8EHtnhVrX6FPEj0baKa4HuO7P28dt/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1H-YfUQtrtw7DAe6i-K__EZovxT7XOOMn/view?usp=drivesdk

Pqlamz

Sep 30, 2020
This thread is almost beginning like playing a game of Clue. ;)

OP, why don't you list your laptop model number, and any/all the steps you have already taken to save everyone some time.

sure
My laptop is a lenovo ideapad 320 15abr with a amd a12-9720p apu and 8gigs ram it came with a 1tb harddrive when i brought it
I placed the ssd in the laptops internal sata port and removed my dvd drive and the placed the hard drive in the dvd slot using the caddy method i clean installed windows 10 in the ssd and am using the hard drive as a data drive and right now every setting that affects speed is optimised(fast boot, ahci etc) am still getting those speeds and my boot time is around 20 seconds a bit slow but not a big deal imp. I have no clue if my ssd is bad or it’s just normal speeds that am getting

Dubbs

Oct 30, 2020
if your Laptop is running a AMD controller chips then the Samsung 860 Evo does not support it .if you run Samsung Magician and go to driver details and click on information at the bottom Right it will tell you if you have an issue with the controllers.
Samsung knew about this and have done nothing about it.
I installed the Samsung 860 EVO 500gig SSD in my Lenovo pc and found that it works but does not support the AMD/AS media controller drivers on my system so RAPID MODE and TRIM has been disabled so I'm getting the same READ/WRITE speeds as if it was a standard hard disk drive ….not Happy:angry:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
if your Laptop is running a AMD controller chips then the Samsung 860 Evo does not support it .if you run Samsung Magician and go to driver details and click on information at the bottom Right it will tell you if you have an issue with the controllers.
Samsung knew about this and have done nothing about it.
I installed the Samsung 860 EVO 500gig SSD in my Lenovo pc and found that it works but does not support the AMD/AS media controller drivers on my system so RAPID MODE and TRIM has been disabled so I'm getting the same READ/WRITE speeds as if it was a standard hard disk drive ….not Happy:angry:
There's so much wrong with this post, I don't even know where to start...

"RAPID MODE" is an un-safe RAM-caching method, designed solely to "cheat" benchmarks. It in no way is your actual SSD speed.

The Samsung 860 EVO certainly does "support" AMD / ASMedia controller chips. As a standard SATA6G drive.

Just because RAPID won't install on your rig, does NOT mean that your SSD is "as if it was a standard hard drive".

Edit: At least in Windows 10, TRIM IS supported on AMD / ASMedia SATA controllers, BTW.

Dubbs

Oct 30, 2020
read what is says below the selected drive,
Samsung website actually states that it does not support some AMD/AS media controller motherboards.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yes, "RAPID MODE" may not run on AMD / ASMedia chipsets. That's different than what you wrote, "Samsung EVO 860 does not support AMD / ASMedia chipsets".

"RAPID MODE" is useless, unless you get (excited) from benchmarks all day long. Just wait until you lose power, and have massive filesystem data-corruption.

Pqlamz

Sep 30, 2020
Lol guys chill it’s just his experience he’s sharing also what he said about the controllers issue I don’t think i have any issues there since trim is working fine and i intentionally disabled rapid more since it’s next to useless I don’t have that error that you shared in this screenshot still don’t know why am getting less speeds. Tbh i gave up am fine with a 20 second boot time let the people with sub 10 second boot time boast all they want I don’t care also with the speeds altho the benchmarks show a bit less speed am satisfied with the speeds it’s definitely much faster than a hard drive but not quite up to my expectations.