Samsung 840 Pro's in RAID 0

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 25, 2013
Not trying to hijack the thread or anything but I had a question in regards to this.... Does RAID make the writing and reading from the hard drive faster since it can read from both drives at the same time?

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
dont R0 unless u need the space. Too many things are lost when you R0, like Trim, for speed you wont notice.
Now if u R0 to double your storage space... well, i have no comment about that. But doing R0 for speed on a SSD, well... under most normal conditions u wont notice jack.. . .

+1. You may notice a small increase in speed, but only in a benchmark. The risk of data loss is higher than if the SSDs were not RAIDED.

Fernando 1

Jul 29, 2012
aigomorla said:
Too many things are lost when you R0, like Trim
+1. You may notice a small increase in speed, but only in a benchmark.
1.The quoted statement from aigomorla is not correct regarding TRIM.
2. According to my experience the users will notice the speed increase of a RAID0, especially when they are writing very big sized files (precondition is an optimized stripe size).

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Popint taken, Fernando. I guess it depends on whether you use the computer for work or play. I don't mean the speed advantage - I mean the risk of total data loss in the event one drive says adios. IMHO, SSDs are fast enough singly for just about all work applications.

Fernando 1

Jul 29, 2012
I don't mean the speed advantage - I mean the risk of total data loss in the event one drive says adios.
That is a general risk of RAID0 arrays, but the risk of a sudden death of a RAID member is much lower with SSDs than with HDDs, because SSDs don't have mechanical read/write heads.
I personally work with RAID0 arrays since several years and - finger crossed - I didn't yet have any data loss because of a broken drive. Nevertheless I do a backup at regular intervals.