Samsung 830 - dead? Showing 1GB capacity

MrMuk7

Jun 17, 2005
Hi all,
Had a 830 256GB for about 6 months and quite happy. Last night it died and it would no longer show up in BIOS. Tried swapping SATA cables, power cables etc, port on mobo, etc. Eventually, it is showing up in BIOS but with 1GB capacity, and I can't boot from it. I have heard of 1 other user having this problem on the Mac forum. Any ideas or has anyone else had this problem? Was running Win 7 64 and it was my boot drive.

Coup27

Platinum Member
Jul 17, 2010
Secure erasing the drive may bring it back to life, but this is the first time I have heard of this and it's actually the first time I've heard of an 830 being bricked.

jwilliams4200

Apr 10, 2009
Boot from something else and see if you can read the SMART attributes. Crystal Disk Info or gsmartcontrol is handy for that. You could also try running the Samsung Magician software.

If none of that works, then try a secure erase as was already suggested. If that does not work, then you will need to RMA.

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Can you take it out of that machine and see if it runs properly in a dock/external enclosure?

MrMuk7

Jun 17, 2005
Thanks for the ideas. I put it in another computer and it still showed up in BIOS and windows as 1GB capacity. CrystalDiskInfo shows Health status as "Bad" with power on count 902. It says power on hours = 11198 which is impossible since I bought it new 6 months ago. Even if it was on 24x7 that would be no more than 4500 hours.

Last edited:

MrMuk7

Jun 17, 2005
Magician shows 7 values as FAIL on the SMART tab. It also could not detect the drive so "some features may not work"....

MrMuk7

Jun 17, 2005
When I try to do secure erase, and pick the SSD, it says "Not a supported Samsung SSD".

Well, the RMA system says my serial number is invalid and won't let me file. F U SAMSUNG.

Last edited:

Jocelyn84

Mar 21, 2010
When I try to do secure erase, and pick the SSD, it says "Not a supported Samsung SSD".

Try Parted Magic for secure erase - http://partedmagic.com/doku.php?id=downloads

Download the pmagic_2012_09_12.iso and use Yumi to to make a bootable USB/thumb drive - http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/

If you need further instructions, try the following thread and remember to chose no if "enhanced" or "advanced" options pop up.
Guide with video tutorials - http://www.overclock.net/t/1227597/how-to-secure-erase-your-solid-state-drive-ssd-with-parted-magic

Last edited:

jwilliams4200

Apr 10, 2009
Well, the RMA system says my serial number is invalid and won't let me file. F U SAMSUNG.

Did you get the serial number from the label on the SSD?

Where did you buy the SSD from?

Can you post a screenshot of the Crystal Disk Info for the SSD?

SuPrEIVIE

Platinum Member
Aug 21, 2003
<------ Now I'm a lurker. :)

holy smokes 12 years to make that post, you take patience is a virtue to a whole new level...

btw OP that is really a rare problem on such a reliable drive might want to check if you made any accidental changes on the bios has happened to me before

Last edited:

hhhd1

Apr 8, 2012
Thanks for the ideas. I put it in another computer and it still showed up in BIOS and windows as 1GB capacity. CrystalDiskInfo shows Health status as "Bad" with power on count 902. It says power on hours = 11198 which is impossible since I bought it new 6 months ago. Even if it was on 24x7 that would be no more than 4500 hours.

Please:

1. Where did you buy it from ?
2. Can you post a full screenshot showing ALL Crystal disk info ?
3. Make sure to use the serial number .. make sure you try with/without the prefix ..etc. , even post it here, or post a photo of the SSD itself.

MrMuk7

Jun 17, 2005
suppose its possible. anyway, i called the support and the rep accepted the serial number. overnight shipping both ways. should get the new one soon. I bought this drive from Amazon.com (actual Amazon, not a 3rd party seller)... so i would hope its legit.

mmaenpaa

Aug 4, 2009
Hi,

We have also a one 1GB Samsung 830 (128GB). This is our first, I have put maybe 50-60 pieces out. This unit is about 6 months old.

So it seems even Samsung has problems.

BR,

Markku

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
Another lurker! This thread is a gold mine.

One out of 60 bricking in 6 months doesn't mean the 830 has problems. Due to the sample size it doesn't even prove that the chances of a drive bricking is 1/60, it could be 1/1000. Nor does it mean Samsung has problems - the 830 is out of production already.

Coup27

Platinum Member
Jul 17, 2010
I think what mmaenpaa meant was even Samsung may have a failure from time to time, but that is the very nature of electronic equipment regardless of manufacturer.

Hellhammer

AnandTech Emeritus
Apr 25, 2011
Hi,

We have also a one 1GB Samsung 830 (128GB). This is our first, I have put maybe 50-60 pieces out. This unit is about 6 months old.

So it seems even Samsung has problems.

BR,

Markku

Have you tried secure erasing the drive? You can use Parted Magic as suggested above (personally I never rely on Windows secure erase methods). Also, a screenshot of the SMART values would be helpful.

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
What a odd issue. Looks like I made my choice for future SSD purchase.

Crucial M4 ,,,,,,, all the way , Isnt it 480mbps max 500mbps look at this btw IM @ 512k cluster size. I also got 538mbps one time.

M4.jpg