Samsung 830/840 pro vs OCZ Vector?

Discussion in 'Memory and Storage' started by eskp4sure, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Koing

Koing Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br> Health and F

I had two friends OCZ 128GB drives die. One with the Agility 2 and one with the Vector 3. One after 3months and another within the same time frame. That is enough to put me off. I went with the Samsung 830 256GB for reliability and speed. It's bottled necked at my 2008 Macbook SATA1 speeds anyway!

I've had 2-3 Western Digital and 2 Seagate drives die in the past as well :( And the IBM deathstars!

Koing

2. groberts101

groberts101 Golden Member

both were Sandforce controlled drives.. so it's apples to cucumbers. But.. the point is valid enough aside from that discrepency.

3. ddarko

ddarko Senior member

A few things:

1) Plenty of people with good drives do post in threads. Lots of people post their benchmark scores, ask questions about how to increase performance, discuss performance expectations, etc. There's plenty of discussion in threads where you can infer a drive is functioning from the context of the comments, even if the comment isn't itself "my drive is working perfectly." I'm not saying that most people with good drives post in threads - they don't. But I think the notion that bad experiences are over-represented in comments while good experiences are under-represented is not necessarily true.

2) Under-representation in public threads cuts both ways - if good experiences are under-represented in them, so too are bad experiences. For every one person who has the knowledge and inclination to post about his/her problem, there are lots of folks with problem who don't. Not everyone with a problem has the awareness or even desire to post on forums about their tech problems. Lots of people with problem with deal privately with the retailer or tech support from the manufacturer and never discuss it in public forums.

3) It's always the case that public reports of a problem undercount the actual occurrences of the problem. This is not just true of tech problems but all walks of life - the vast majority of crimes are never reported, the vast majority of diseases or outbreaks are never publicly counted, etc. What's more, not only are problems under-reported, most people may not ever even experience a failure even if their product has a known defect. The vast majority of IBM Deathstar drives lasted their useful life without ever dying from the click of death (I wasn't so lucky). Even in the similar Iomega Zip Drive click of death case in the 1990s, where thousands of complaints were reported, Iomega said that 1 in 200 drives were affected - 0.5% (this according to Wikipedia's writeup of the case). Iomega sold millions of those cartridges. There was a design defect in those drives but still, most of those drives never broke down and even the reported dead drives was a tiny fraction of the total numbers sold. That doesn't mean those cartridges didn't have a design defect that made them vulnerable to read/write head failure.

I'm not saying every report of a problem is evidence of a fundamental flaw but every report of a problem should to be treated seriously. Look at the confirmed defects in the pre-production firmware of the Samsung 840 drives. As far as I can tell, a grand total of six dead drives triggered that investigation - two at Anand's labs, four elsewhere. Six drives out of thousands in the hands of end users. Let's be conservative and say Samsung had sold 1,000 840 drives at that point - 6 dead drives is a mere 0.6%, far below the 3% failure rate Mfusick describes as "normal" for SSD drives. If Samsung had an equally relaxed attitude toward SSD drive failure, it would have never discovered the bad pre-production firmware bug.

And btw, one of the reason I first went with the Vector over the Samsung 840 Pro is because of those reports of dead 840 drives. I read Samsung's assurances that the bug was only in pre-production firmware and did not involve retail products but I wasn't completely convinced (and honestly, I still sort of expect the Samsung drive to die on me). I think anyone who chooses to still pass on Samsung 840 drives because of those drive failures would be pretty reasonable.

#53 ddarko, Jan 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  4. Puffnstuff

Puffnstuff Diamond Member

Having first hand experience with ocz and their ssd's, still have one in another machine, I didn't hessitate to buy my 840 pro. I wouldn't hessitate to buy another.

5. mlauzon76

mlauzon76 Member

I'd go with the Plextor M5P (128GB/256GB/512GB), and with a recent firmware upgrade, it's one of the fastest SSDs on the market. Here's a review I believe was done just before -- or around the same time -- the firmware upgrade came out:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/plextor_m5_pro_ssd_benchmark_review_test,1.html

The american site -- I'm in Canada, so I'd use the american site when it goes back up -- isn't working right now, but here's the page for the M5P on the European site:

http://www.plextor-digital.com/index.php/en/M5-Pro/m5-pro.html

#55 mlauzon76, Jan 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  6. groberts101

groberts101 Golden Member

"one of the fastest" is far too vague, IMHO.

Because if that drive didn't have toggle to fall back on?.. it would be a turd compared to the other choices the OP mentioned regardless of firmware advancements.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/731?vs=665

7. olavinto

olavinto Junior Member

I've had three OCZ Vertex 2's (all about three years old) and never had any problems and all of them are still in use in different systems as boot and software drives (not for file storage). All updated to the latest firmware (as they should be) - just to point out the fact that there are those who don't consider updating anything important, necessary or that the product is crap if it needs updates (the reqular consumer...). Personally I like updates, the more the better (even if there are no bugs to fix there's always room for improvement). It should also be noted that OCZ has been among the first ones on the market and it usually means more problems.

I just ordered one 128 GB Vector although it's about 10 € more expensive than the 28 GB Samsung 840 Pro. I could still change my mind and go with the Samsung - when the other parts in the order come...

They both have 5 year warranty and speed and price are close enough. Visually they are different so that might be one factor. The Samsung is infact quite nice and clean looking. On the other hand the Vector has more color and a nice Indilinx logo... Actually I'm going to get the Samsung instead. It just looks better with the simple black casing and it's about 10 € cheaper. And I have a Samsung TV. And Samsung doesn't have financial problems.

8. Coup27

Coup27 Platinum Member

That was one of the most pointless and useless posts I have ever read.

9. Remobz

Remobz Platinum Member

I own a Samsung 840 pro and I would not hesitate to buy another one or recommend one to a potential buyer.

10. Whitestar127

Whitestar127 Senior member

Let's put this into perspective shall we:

Speed:
    One of the drives finishes after you have eaten your chocolate. The other one finishes while you are swallowing the last bite.

Reliability:
    You are either unlucky, or you are not.

Point being, you probably won't notice any real-life difference unless you are sitting in front of your computer with a stopwatch. :)

#60 Whitestar127, Feb 26, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  11. Drsignguy

Drsignguy Platinum Member

Personal preference is my opinion. I have both OCZ and Samsung and happy with both. Each boot into my Os each and every time. Each are their own beast. I recently purchased the 840 pro and the 840 series over the OCZ because it seemed right at the time. I was considering the OCZ vector but the Samsung(s) were a bit less expensive upon purchase. Either way, I am satisfied. Good too, I don't need any problems anyway.

12. poohbear

poohbear Platinum Member

I have a OCZ Vector 3 & it works great. I dont usually post on how good & reliable it is, sale with the 98% of OCZ owners out there. But u better believe if it died on me i'd be posting in EVERY OCZ thread warning people not to buy it. The point is ppl who are happy & satisfied dont go posting on threads how well it works, but the minority that had one fail do so very vocally!

13. Phynaz

Phynaz Diamond Member

Let's see how many people are going to keep replying to a two month old thread in which the OP never returned :)

14. olavinto

olavinto Junior Member

Pretty much. Just points out that most likely you can't go wrong with either one... to simplify. And to show at least some support towards OCZ since I've had no problems with their SSDs.

15. jacksonn24

jacksonn24 Junior Member

i have 4 ocz ssds 2 agility 3s and 2 vectors a 128gb and 256 gb have had no problems with them at all.

16. Emulex

Emulex Diamond Member

dude OCZ is in real bad shape right now. so consider warranty on-notice. their return policy is kind of weak.

Also the vector throttled QD=1 so if run it in IDE mode for whatever reason no ncq you will never get decent speeds. (throttling based on QD is high end SAN theory/not far off LSI fastpath)

i have had only one reset (drive was fine) with 840 pro 256gb. The 830's all running on a 9260-8i with fastpath in raid-10 (esx) are solid. just have to tune the quantum and queuedepth to keep them busy.

I'd say the vector is a great product design but their support and current financial status versus samsung is scary.

17. blackened23

blackened23 Diamond Member

Same here. I've heard many OCZ horror stories but I haven't had any issues, in fact I still have a vertex 2 running in one of my machines for some 2 years now. As far as the topic at hand, I think they're both great drives. Tough call.

18. Unit'Igor

Unit'Igor Member

I cant believe what you people talking about,and guy who started this thread,how dares he to compare Samsung with OCZ,thats insulting for Samsung.
    You can compare OCZ and Corsair.
    You can compare Samsung with Plextor.
    But you cant compare Samsung with OCZ.

19. bononos

bononos Diamond Member

No, OCZ is notorious for higher failure rates. Maybe their latest Vector model is ok.

20. poohbear

poohbear Platinum Member

I've owned 2 ocz vertex 3, never had any problems. I always used the latest firmware, they're great. U have to understand OCZ sells huge amounts of SSDs & if 1% were bad, those ppl would be much more vocal than corsair or plextor customers (simply cause they dont move as many SSDs)

21. Dadofamunky

Dadofamunky Platinum Member

I can't complain at all about my 840 Pro; I also think that OCZ had a very severe quality problem for awhile but I get the general impression around here that most of that has gone away and that OCZ products are now generally reliable. Of course we will always see individual anecdotal evidence otherwise; I'm amazed our OP experienced bricking so quickly! As for Samsung fanboyism, I find it amusing that someone would think someone would be capable of being a fanboy for a massive Korean electronics conglomerate. Kinda pathetic.

22. alan1476

alan1476 Member

I am a systems builder for high end gaming consoles. As of today I only use 3 SSDs, the Vector the Samsung 840 Pro and the Corsair Neutron GTX. You have to understand that there is a lot more to to these drives than just benchmarks. I ahave installed at least 20 Samsung 840 Pros, 15 Vectors and about 20 Corsair Neutron GTX SSDs. They all have their good points and none of them have anything bad I can say about them, except for the fact that OCZ might not be around to honor their 5 year warrantee. ( money for R&D is not their strong point) where the other 2 suppliers have no such problems, that said, The 4K writes to me are most important statistic for a bevy of reasons. In this category the Vector is the best. Not by a lot but faster, now we come to the financial viability of all three of these drives. The Vector can be almost 100USD more than the Samsung 840 Pro in the 512gb flavor. The Neutron is almost 60 USD more than the Samsung 840 Pro 512 and it only has 480gbs. So in the end my choice and if I am asked , I would buy the Samsung 840 Pro 512gb SSD every time. JMHO.

23. BrightCandle

BrightCandle Diamond Member

The last reliability figures I saw still said that ocz drives were still 3 times more likely to fail than anyone else's, they were worse than hard drives. That was about a year ago and I haven't seen any more recent figures so it could have changed with their recent drives, but its still a data point to be concerned about. Not least because this is a company that has a long history of being dishonest about its products, going back to PSUs and RAM as well as its SSDs.

I just don't ocz's products are worth the risk anymore, they aren't better enough to make taking a risk on them worthwhile IMHO.

24. alan1476

alan1476 Member

I couldn't agree more with you BrightCandle. OCZ has not proved themselves reliable to the point where someone should spent over 500USD on one of their SSDs. Where Samsung most probably had the most reliable ( The 830 ) SSD on the market. The choice is clear.