SAMOLED HD Plus in a Phone?

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
My old SGS2 is getting pretty long in the tooth and I am thinking I want to upgrade. My only issue is that I really want to get something with another SAMOLED screen as I really like that but I hate pentile. I know about the Galaxy Note 2 but it is way too big.

Is there some other SAMOLED HD Plus phone I missed that has been announced or released?

lothar

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2000
My old SGS2 is getting pretty long in the tooth and I am thinking I want to upgrade. My only issue is that I really want to get something with another SAMOLED screen as I really like that but I hate pentile. I know about the Galaxy Note 2 but it is way too big.

Is there some other SAMOLED HD Plus phone I missed that has been announced or released?
Not officially announced, but I don't expect SGS4 to have a pentile screen(unless if Samsung decides to go crazy by putting Nexus 10 resolution in a phone)...You'll have to wait until April/May next year though.
Otherwise, no.

dagamer34

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2005
Not officially announced, but I don't expect SGS4 to have a pentile screen(unless if Samsung decides to go crazy by putting Nexus 10 resolution in a phone)...You'll have to wait until April/May next year though.
Otherwise, no.

We are starting to hear some rumors of 1080p Super AMOLED Full HD displays.

By the way, I'd argue that the real problem with Samsung's AMOLED displays isn't PenTile, but the fact that colors are super saturated and make no attempt to be accurate.

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
Yeah, either get the Note 2 or wait. Given that the S4 should also have Exynos 5, it's going to be a nice advance.

Any word on that i9100 4.1.2 leak coming to the AT&T S2? I've read all sorts of good stuff about it.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
We are starting to hear some rumors of 1080p Super AMOLED Full HD displays.

By the way, I'd argue that the real problem with Samsung's AMOLED displays isn't PenTile, but the fact that colors are super saturated and make no attempt to be accurate.

I actually like the super saturated colors- its why I want to keep SAMOLED. I don't do photoshop on my phone so I don't want accurate- I want better than real life when I view my pictures.

I just can't stand the pentile effect. I can see it on every pentile phone within seconds of it being in front of my face.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Any word on that i9100 4.1.2 leak coming to the AT&T S2? I've read all sorts of good stuff about it.

Looks legit. Finally get to try out some Project Butter. Maybe that will make me content to wait until spring.

I hope Samsung fixes the 720p SAMOLEDs before jumping into 1080p.

TuxDave

Lifer
Oct 8, 2002
I actually like the super saturated colors- its why I want to keep SAMOLED. I don't do photoshop on my phone so I don't want accurate- I want better than real life when I view my pictures.

I just can't stand the pentile effect. I can see it on every pentile phone within seconds of it being in front of my face.

Heh at least you're honest about the saturated colors. So you still see the pen tile it on the SGS3?

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Heh at least you're honest about the saturated colors. So you still see the pen tile it on the SGS3?

If he was happy with the SGS2 screen theres no way hes going to be unhappy with the S3 screen. Its way better.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
I can tell pentile on qHD screens, with 960x540 resolutions. But on 720p, the higher PPI mitigates it. Have to really really try to notice on 720p displays.

Fire&Blood

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2009
Poofy, stick with your original plan man, wait for SGS4. Exynos 5 already drives 1600p so you know it can handle 720p/1080p. Look at the trends, only the Galaxy lineup will offer the storage options you want.

MrX8503

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2005
Pentile exists to remain competitive with its higher pixel count competitor, the LCD.

The SGS2 isn't pentile because its low pixel count was readily available. Pentile is a buffer for Samsung until they can produce a samoled plus screen.

We'll probably see 720p plus screen or a 1080p pentile screen. 1080p plus screen would be the inevitable, but not until 1080 LCD becomes mainstream.

grkM3

Golden Member
Jul 29, 2011
Pentile exists to remain competitive with its higher pixel count competitor, the LCD.

The SGS2 isn't pentile because its low pixel count was readily available. Pentile is a buffer for Samsung until they can produce a samoled plus screen.

We'll probably see 720p plus screen or a 1080p pentile screen. 1080p plus screen would be the inevitable, but not until 1080 LCD becomes mainstream.

The note 2 is a HD plus non pentile screen

jiffylube1024

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Did you at least try the sgs3 in stores? I went from a galaxy captivate to a sgs2 (i9100) to a galaxy Nexus to an sgs3.

I also found the penile display on the sgs1 annoying but I have absolutely no problems with it on the sgs3. The screen looks beautiful.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005

I can see the pentile effect on a SGS3. One of my good friends has one and I played with it for a while to demo it as a possible upgrade. One of my favorite things to do with a smartphone is read the internet a foot from my face. At normal distances it is fine, but I know I am going to read the internet up close on the thing and what pentile does to fonts will drive me nuts. Hence the thread.

And like so many things when you know what to look for you can see what others can't. Until pentile screens are 1080p I will see the "holes" in the pixels. I see it on a GNex too.

Last edited:

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Poofy, stick with your original plan man, wait for SGS4. Exynos 5 already drives 1600p so you know it can handle 720p/1080p. Look at the trends, only the Galaxy lineup will offer the storage options you want.

I think I will. Hopefully the SGS4 will be the A15, non-pentile monster I predicted it would be back in 2011.

I do only want a phone with a SD card slot. No way I can do without now.

maniac5999

Dec 30, 2009
The note 2 is a HD plus non pentile screen

From my understanding the issue with SAMOLED is pixel density. The Note 2 has more real estate for the same resolution, so it can include the full RGB in each pixel. I haven't done the math, but I expect the subpixel density is about the same between the two.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I can see the pentile effect on a SGS3. One of my good friends has one and I played with it for a while to demo it as a possible upgrade. One of my favorite things to do with a smartphone is read the internet a foot from my face. At normal distances it is fine, but I know I am going to read the internet up close on the thing and what pentile does to fonts will drive me nuts. Hence the thread.

And like so many things when you know what to look for you can see what others can't. Until pentile screens are 1080p I will see the "holes" in the pixels. I see it on a GNex too.

Anandtech Review said:
even though PenTile is present, the logical pixel is still smaller than visual acuity, and the subpixels are half that.

You have good eyes.

Feb 19, 2001
Yeah, either get the Note 2 or wait. Given that the S4 should also have Exynos 5, it's going to be a nice advance.

TBH none of that is useful unless you get the kernel sources. Samsung is not going to release that til the official release drops. The N7000 leak a few weeks back should be the exact same thing as the hardware is the same, but it did not help.

Edit: Sorry, I'm talking about efforts for CM10. It won't help for non stock-based ROMs, but if you want to run stock sure...

Looks legit. Finally get to try out some Project Butter. Maybe that will make me content to wait until spring.

I hope Samsung fixes the 720p SAMOLEDs before jumping into 1080p.

I think marketing wants 1080p though so you might get a fixed 720p, but 1080p will be Pentile upon first release, meaning... you still don't get what you want. That's my biggest gripe with Android. The hardware target is always moving. Just when you got solid specs, you move onto something else. It's like just when they nailed a good phone (SGS2) with 4.3" screen they move onto a monster, and when they try to go back with the SGS3 mini it's an absolute flop.

Last edited:

Fire&Blood

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2009
I think I will. Hopefully the SGS4 will be the A15, non-pentile monster I predicted it would be back in 2011.

I do only want a phone with a SD card slot. No way I can do without now.

Slim chances of one meeting both criteria. Even if another SAMOLED+ phone were to pop up now, especially if it's a carrier exclusive one, it almost certainly won't feature SD slot. This is the price we pay for "deviating" from mainstream consumers. I barely managed to put the 5GB Nex4 and 13GB N10 in the cart so I already set up to stream shared folders in advance.

Instead of making the Nexus4 look bad by providing better storage options, SD slots and better battery life, OEM's are squeezing and differentiating even less from the N4. Look at the latest halo phone, DNA vs N4, it's got a worse battery and same storage as a dev phone but more carrier spam and a tragic update forecast.

We don't know for sure yet but if a buyer wants Exynos 5, HD+ screen and an SD slot, other than S4, which phone on the horizon is likely to meet those terms?

bearxor

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001

You have good eyes.

Lets not start this again. All of us have burned many posts and many threads with you can/you can't notice PenTile on 720p screens.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Lets not start this again. All of us have burned many posts and many threads with you can/you can't notice PenTile on 720p screens.

OK, I'll stick with the science if thats ok though.

I think a lot of the time people are seeing any visual imperfection and going "OMG pentile !11!!!!" when no display is perfect. I can certainly see pixels and more screendooring (new word) on my S2 than I can on my S3.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
I think marketing wants 1080p though so you might get a fixed 720p, but 1080p will be Pentile upon first release, meaning... you still don't get what you want. That's my biggest gripe with Android. The hardware target is always moving. Just when you got solid specs, you move onto something else. It's like just when they nailed a good phone (SGS2) with 4.3" screen they move onto a monster, and when they try to go back with the SGS3 mini it's an absolute flop.

I think at 1080p I could not see the pentile effect.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
I think a lot of the time people are seeing any visual imperfection and going "OMG pentile !11!!!!" when no display is perfect. I can certainly see pixels and more screendooring (new word) on my S2 than I can on my S3.

I am not going to say a S2 screen is better than a S3 screen, or that pentile matters to everyone. I have better vision than most and my brain is looking for it so the pentile effect even at 720p bothers me. The S2 has the obvious poor quality of a low PPI screen, but I don't want to upgrade until I can get a 720p phone that is full RGB.

The pentile effect to me is like a Where's Waldo book where you already found him, so on every page you know where to look. Of course high resolution makes it better. I think the SGS1 has a downright disgusting screen, I think qHD pentile screens are obnoxious, while 720p pentile screens just aren't quite right.

I think either 1080p + pentile or 720p non-pentile would be fine for me.