Saints Row 4 has rekindled my childlike fascination with video games

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
In a certain light, the western games industry isn't terribly exciting. Modern big-budget titles task themselves with living up to certain marketing buzzwords, like "realistic"; "immersive"; "atmospheric"; "detailed" and other such fluff. Is this necessarily a bad thing? It seems to resonate with most people, so I guess maybe not. But it is a little concerning. My point is: I can't think of a single major PC game from the last year or two that doesn't retain some semblance of seriousness or sedation.

...that is, with the exception of Saints Row 4. SR4 has none of those above elements. It throws absolutely everything out the window in favor of making the game fun. I mean, it's really fun. Really fun. I'm convinced that - somewhere deep inside Volition - some executives passed around a design document with nothing written on it, other than the word "FUN" in giant lettering. It was then presented at a board meeting where the chief producer opened up a Powerpoint with nothing but a single slide bellowing the word "FUN" in large type. "FUN" would be the game's one and only design goal. He then asked, "Is everyone cool with this?" And everyone in the company unanimously agreed, marking the beginning of Saints Row 4.

Everything has been optimized for absolute pure pleasure and joy. If there was a mechanic in the game that wasn't fun, it was scrapped. If something was too tedious or uninteresting, it was scrapped. There is nothing boring, nothing that feels like a chore. They went out of their way to make the game as delightful and entertaining as possible.

So here I am, with a whole city at my fingertips; sprinting down the street at 200 miles per hour, literally sending all vehicles and traffic hurdling sideways when I hit them, super-jumping over entire skyscrapers, turning things into ice (then shattering them with my rocket launcher), drop-kicking enemies into the sky, causing destruction with a giant alien flamethrower tank, and casually gliding around the city, hundreds of feet in the air. I'm not even 3 hours into the game yet and it's already a personal GOTY contender.

It's a breath of fresh air. I'm convinced that this is the pinnacle of video games; or at least, the pinnacle of what video games should be. This is why video games were invented... so we can temporarily live out our crazy, absurdist desires and dreams, and have a shit ton of fun while doing it. SR4 hits my brain's pleasure center in the best, most proficient way possible. I wish there were more games that aspired to do this.

I realize that some of the content is recycled from Saints Row 3 (mainly the environment), but considering the other massive changes that were implemented to make up for that, I forgive them. SR3 this is not. Even the insurance fraud missions - which I mistakenly thought were perfected in SR3 - have now been cranked up even more in SR4. Throwing myself into oncoming traffic for points, steering my limp body through the air to hit more vehicles, and being deliberately launched through a gauntlet of cars is hilarious. I laughed like a little schoolgirl. It's rare when a game is entertaining enough to make me literally laugh out loud, so that's high praise.

I'm only playing it just now because a buddy gifted it to me on Steam. Boy was I wrong to have not purchased this a long time ago. I mean, I knew it was good, but I had absolutely no idea that it was going to be like this.

Anyone who feels tired of video games, or is in a gaming "rut" should definitely give this game a chance. Saints Row 4 has reminded me why I love games.

I'm excited to keep playing and see what other beautiful things it has to offer.

Last edited:

SlitheryDee

Lifer
Feb 2, 2005
If you want more of the same kind of stuff the Prototype games are a blast too, and they came out years ago. Its almost plagiaristic how similar they play IMO. I actually played Prototype so much I got kinda burned out on that kind of game though.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
If you want more of the same kind of stuff the Prototype games are a blast too, and they came out years ago. Its almost plagiaristic how similar they play IMO. I actually played Prototype so much I got kinda burned out on that kind of game though.

Oh yeah, I was gonna mention how SR4 reminded me a lot of Prototype, but I forgot. I played Prototype a couple years back and really enjoyed it. I decidedly like SR4 a lot more though. The missions and setting are a lot more interesting, and the superpowers are a bit more varied and interesting as well.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
I agree.

I loved Saints Row: The Third, it was an absolute blast. Then I bought SR4 and again I was pleased. They are both equally very fun. I especially like how SR4 parodies The Matrix and Mass Effect (and Prototype as well I guess, but I've never played Prototype so I wouldn't know if that's the case, the only reference I have for a similar setting is The Matrix which is why I'm mentioning it). The Abduction Gun alone in SR4 can give me hours of fun and the super powers reminding me of the plasmids from Bioshock (the elemental ones that is) are just awesome. The voice acting is also good in my opinion, in both games actually. I also like that there's an active modding community for both games (the NPC Behavior & Spawn mod for SR3 in particular is amazing, there's a similar one for SR4 too).

The only complaint I have about both SR3 and SR4 is the map's size (Steelport), it's rather small. It seems alright in SR3 at first glance, but it gets especially noticeable in SR4 since you get to run at super speeds everywhere you go (I barely use vehicles in SR4), which brings you from pretty much any points A-to-B in no time. The same can be said with vertical space, the skyline (map's skybox) is pretty low in both games (I think they're identical in both).

I'm still progressing my first play-through in SR4 and so far it's amazing. I do prefer SR3's story, however. But SR4 is amazing if you just want to mess around (more so than in SR3). Ultimately, both amazingly fun games.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
I spent entirely way too much time playing SR3 (never having played SR1 or SR2). I finally have SR4 so I'm very intrigued by the OP...

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
What about Just Cause 2? People tend to enjoy that for the sheer mayhem.

CakeMonster

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2012
I agree about SR4, but its not just the mission. Its the total package. Its not something every little studio can throw together. I especially like the RP parts, with skills, upgrades, customizing my character down to looks and clothes and even voice, as well as the "story" sequences. That really sealed it for me, and I suspect that it still added to the game even for those who care less about that. SR4 is just a thorough, good piece of work with attention paid to everything.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008

Before I played SR4, Just Cause 2 was my personal bar for open-world action games. Now... I'm not very sure. :hmm:

Edit: I do remember playing the Just Cause 2 demo back in 2010, and being so blown away by it that I immediately plopped down $50 for the full game. That's how pleased I was. Also... this is why more games need to have demos. If you're a video game developer who's confident in the quality of your product, you have every reason to release a demo. I would've bought SR4 a long time ago if I had a chance to sample it first.

Last edited:

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
I agree that SR3 and SR4 are the best games I've played in years. They're clearly made by people who enjoy video games. The mini-games are (mostly) fun and innovative. The fact that they made their own side-scrolling beat 'em up for SR4 is amazing.

Also the car duets between you and Pierce crack me up every time. And the "Don't Want to Miss a Thing" opening of SR4 let me know I was going to love the game.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
BTW, does any of the DLC have actual gameplay content? I crave more..

After skimming through the DLC on Steam, only two of them appear to have actual mission content: "Enter the Dominatrix" and "How the Saints Save Christmas". If all you care about is new missions, then your best option is to buy the season pass which apparently contains both (The Christmas DLC isn't mentioned anywhere on that page, but if you go to it's own product page, it says it's included in the pass). Everything else is just extra in-game items and cosmetics.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Saints Row 4 also left me wondering how they've managed to screw up every Superman game to date. Superpowers done right.

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013
How about we turn this discussion into one about what is BAD about Saints Row? I don't want to spend $20 on it, but you're making me want to...almost. The first games seemed dumb to me, but these almost found like they're a fun level of dumb.

How would folks compare this to GTA V? I've always hated GTA, and Saints Row has always turned me off because it started out looking like a GTA clone. Is that still the case?

zerogear

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2000
Saints Row 4 also left me wondering how they've managed to screw up every Superman game to date. Superpowers done right.

Because Superman is a hack superhero, and the only limits/powers he doesn't have is when he hasn't tried it? -- You can't really make a fun game with a superhero that literally has no limits.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001

The problem I had with JC2 was there were only certain, specific things you could blow up. Too many buildings, shacks and such were indestructible. Got boring blowing the same things up over and over.

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Because Superman is a hack superhero, and the only limits/powers he doesn't have is when he hasn't tried it? -- You can't really make a fun game with a superhero that literally has no limits.
Exactly why DC has only 1 hero they have to keep rebooting over and over and over. Other than Batman DC's only saving grace is their graphics novel base is strong thanks to people like Alan Moore.

Stan Lee was a much better character creator. Besides a great villain base your heroes must have problems and weakness's

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
How about we turn this discussion into one about what is BAD about Saints Row? I don't want to spend $20 on it, but you're making me want to...almost. The first games seemed dumb to me, but these almost found like they're a fun level of dumb.

How would folks compare this to GTA V? I've always hated GTA, and Saints Row has always turned me off because it started out looking like a GTA clone. Is that still the case?

Well they're both open world games set in urban environments. In both SR and GTA you can highjack a vehicle, beat pedestrians and destroy things with your weapons. I'm not sure if the comparisons should go beyond that really. They're ultimately different games nonetheless. In SR most of the 'action' is quite exaggerated but in a very entertaining way.

What I can say regarding GTAV is that I myself haven't played it and I have no intention to since I'm simply not interested at all. The last one of the series I played was GTA4 and it just bored me after a few hours of play, and haven't played it again since. I'd say that GTA3 and Vice City are the only GTA games I really did genuinely enjoy but that was many years ago. I'm not saying that GTA4 and 5 are 'bad' per se but really I'm just not interested. I hear "GTA" and I can only shrug it off.

When I first saw SR3 footage on YouTube I honestly thought that the game was completely dumb and could only be played be equally idiot people. That's probably because the first pictures and videos I ever saw of SR3 involved a naked man free falling from a skyscraper roof (seen from his back) with a pixel-censored portion covering his genitals, following by videos of a character beating pedestrians with a giant purple dildo. In retrospect I admit that I still think that if someone's first impression of the game is based on that sort of first-time footage... then it can't exactly be guaranteed to impress.

My cousin rented GTAV and he said that he had a lot of fun with it, but he told me that he spends 100% of his time doing random stuff in the game, rather than playing the game's actual 'campaign'. Well the same thing could happen in Saints Row, it's your choice. The point is I was mislead to believe that Saints Row's actual goal was to do all sort of human follies for the heck of doing that because the game had nothing else than that sort of thing to offer. And had I not fought my own hesitation during a sales for SR3 a couple of months ago I would have never found out 'the truth' about it. And today I'd still have the same thoughts about the game and the people playing it as I had months ago.

I can't stress enough about how much I regret those thoughts today, because they nearly did keep me away from both SR3 and SR4 which now I can say are awesome games. But you do have to take them with a grain of salt. You have to imagine the devs themselves having fun and laughing as they developed it. I like to describe both SR3 and 4 as clever humorous satire games. It's developed that way on purpose comparably to The Simpsons or Family Guy, in certain ways (I.E. it mocks itself as well as society and video gaming and general entertainment, but with humor and wit).

They are 'real' video games. They're not 'failed attempts' at trying to be serious but ending up boring, immature and stupid. They are fun games clearly developed with devotion and passion from caring developers. It shows in SR3, but in SR4 it shines enough to blind you, it's just way too obvious that the guys at Volition had fun making them both. When the credits rolled after I beat SR3 I felt like a gamer who had just been respectfully treated rather than a mere consumer with a 'Mr. Joe #4,657,862" sticker on his forehead. And SR4 is the obvious love letter to fans that you equally love, it's as much fan service as you can get.

Seriously, just buy those games, lean back, relax, eat popcorn and take the whole thing with grains of salt. Don't try to over-analyze it, don't try to pretend that it ain't "realistic" or some shenanigans like that, and just tell yourself that you're playing a video game for the sake of having fun. And all with be fine.

Last edited:

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
I will say that they are way more fun in coop, enjoyed with a good friend. There are so many "watch this" moments.

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013
Seriously, just buy those games, lean back, relax, eat popcorn and take the whole thing with grains of salt. Don't try to over-analyze it, don't try to pretend that it ain't "realistic" or some shenanigans like that, and just tell yourself that you're playing a video game for the sake of having fun. And all with be fine.

Maybe someday. Personally, the simple existence of overly-stupid things like dildo weapons turns me off to the game (similar occurrence in Dead Rising 3). I enjoy mayhem for the sake of mayhem, but I think my tolerance level for risque things like that is much lower than most folks. IDK why it annoys me so much, it just does, apparently.

I think I'll think about it if it drops in price next summer, to $10 or so, but considering the most I've spent on a game so far is $13.59 (Dishonored GotY), I don't think I want to go to $20 on a game I don't have a strong attraction to.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
I've always hated GTA, and Saints Row has always turned me off because it started out looking like a GTA clone. Is that still the case?

Saints Row hasn't been a GTA clone since SR3. They've stopped trying to copy and found their own groove now.

JumBie

Golden Member
May 2, 2011
Saints row 3 was a blast, however I realized over the past little while that full open world games lose my interest fast. I have a hard time staying focused on task when there is so much to do and eventually I end up not even finishing the game. I prefer semi open world or linear to be honest.