Sackler family about to get immunity

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
everybody is different and every body is different. just because you didn't react in addictive manner doesn't mean someone else won't.

it's like side effects - sure you might not experience them specifically, but give them to enough people and somebody is going to be on the receiving end just because of statistics.
Hell, I seen interviews with addicts that say the first shot they had made them puke, but they still liked the other stuff it does. Thing is, some people can joy pop and move on, some people get hooked. I've never gotten the drink till you pass out or take a drug that basically makes you a sleep half the day thing.

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
Always prefer the Vic buzz to Percs. The oxy in Percs causes equilibrium issues, which can lead to tummy trouble. At least for me.
Oxycontin is Percocet minus the (Tylenol) acetaminophen. The patent was for a delayed release oxycodone delivery system. A generic drug should never have received a patent. The advertising campaign (Purdue Pharma) brought a terrible name, stigma to an otherwise effective medicine that had been used for decades.

So what you are saying is the oxy in Percs caused you neurosis. This cannot be attributed to any medical condition other than the guilt, shame and embarrassment you feel for taking pain medicine.

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
Have been prescribed oxycodone and Vicodin several times for surgery. Usually use only 25% of the script. Zero addiction. Zero high. A fair amount of nausea if taken on an empty stomach. Have no idea how people get hooked other than if they have chronic severe pain and it takes it away. That I get. But a regular guy with no pain getting hooked on oxycodone I don't understand
Were you physically abused as a child growing up? I am going to guess that you were.

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
You should probably stick to the technical subforums and STFU while you've only made an ass of yourself.

Their punishment should be having to wear Fentanyl patches for a year and then be banned from ever getting any opiate ever again. See how they like their hook 'em and fook 'em plan.
They say people write what they cannot say. Your view on how to deal with addition is not good or kind in any way.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Oxycontin is Percocet minus the (Tylenol) acetaminophen. The patent was for a delayed release oxycodone delivery system. A generic drug should never have received a patent. The advertising campaign (Purdue Pharma) brought a terrible name, stigma to an otherwise effective medicine that had been used for decades.

So what you are saying is the oxy in Percs caused you neurosis. This cannot be attributed to any medical condition other than the guilt, shame and embarrassment you feel for taking pain medicine.
Wut?

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
One of the larger problems in America is that crime is openly tolerated, if not celebrated, if you're successful enough at it.
Justice in America is anything but blind. And this tolerance of crime lords creates more crime than any bleeding hearts do.

Reactions: hal2kilo

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
The issue is OxyContin was misleadingly marketed as non addictive and given out like candy for for 15 years and in much higher and stronger dosages. Percs/oxycodone were never prescribed in the same manner nor marketed in that way.

There has always been ample evidence of what Perdue pharma knowingly did with OxyContin. It’s a toss up what the Supreme Court will do. But at this point even if the Supreme Court does do the right thing and say it’s misuse of bankruptcy to shield third parties from civil liability, the billions the Sackler family has personally will never be touched as it’s likely thoroughly protected through all sorts of legal means.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
The issue is OxyContin was misleadingly marketed as non addictive and given out like candy for for 15 years and in much higher and stronger dosages. Percs/oxycodone were never prescribed in the same manner nor marketed in that way.

There has always been ample evidence of what Perdue pharma knowingly did with OxyContin. It’s a toss up what the Supreme Court will do. But at this point even if the Supreme Court does do the right thing and say it’s misuse of bankruptcy to shield third parties from civil liability, the billions the Sackler family has personally will never be touched as it’s likely thoroughly protected through all sorts of legal means.
If the family and it’s lawyers didn’t see risk to their personal fortunes they wouldn’t be pushing so hard for an agreement that basically says they can never be sued.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I think the Purdue people who knowingly sold the nonsense about Ocycontin for the money, are evil. Perhaps it came from greed, or even self-hate. Either way, they ended up evil.

Mar 11, 2004
They say people write what they cannot say. Your view on how to deal with addition is not good or kind in any way.

Deal with addition? Exactly how much Oxy did you take prior to writing that? You seem to be under some form of psychosis based on your own reasoning that you responded with bizarre nonsense to others' posts.

I never said it was, and its frankly kinder and better than their treatment of America. Not sure what your point is though?

I think the Purdue people who knowingly sold the nonsense about Ocycontin for the money, are evil. Perhaps it came from greed, or even self-hate. Either way, they ended up evil.

Ok, Moonbeam :joycat:

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Me being the skeptic after witnessing how the conservatives on the court are beholden to corporate interests have arrived at the conclusion that the court will give as much leniency to the Sacklers through their abuse of the interpretation of laws of the land.....and them some.....and then some more on top of that.

Nov 17, 2019
They seem to be focused on the 'widespread agreement' of the victims while also questioning the type of deal as a whole.

What I'd LIKE to see:

Approve immediate payment of the amounts so far agreed upon.
Void the BK Court's ability to make this kind of deal in the future.
Allow the Slackasses to be sued further with any future judgements reduced by this initial amount.