Sackler family about to get immunity

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Opioids have scared the shit out of me for 30 years. Got Vicodin and Tylenol-3 prescribed to me in the past for kidney stones and as bad as those hurt I have refused to take anything harder than aspirin or OTC acetaminophen for them because I'm scared as hell I'd like taking opioids based on what I had seen heroin do to friends.
I did get Tylenol 3 when I ruptured my eardrum a long time back, it mostly made me very sleepy (and was also very effective at killing the pain, ruptured eardrum hurts like a motherfucker, right up there with ripping a toenail out). I built up a tolerance very quickly though, seemed like it was less effective with each day that passed.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
I didn't even feel out of it. I had some lingering pain that made it hard to sleep, so one before bedtime to ease that and make it easier to fall asleep.
I imagine there are probably some genetic markers that make people more or less susceptible to it. Similar to any other addictive substance.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
I got both T3 and hydrocodone when I got my wisdom teeth out in my teens. I could very easily see how people would get addicted to them .. maybe I have the genetic markers, whatever they are. I took them all over time and thought they felt great, and then never touched opioids again luckily. One of my best high school friends wasn’t so lucky :(

kitkat22

Golden Member
Feb 10, 2005
Pain meds and I have a love/hate relationship. I avoid them as much as I can because I get very sick on them. However, I need them when I get hemearthrosis and land myself in the hospital.

My usual course is
1) acute bleeding into joint
2) call 911 cause I can't move
3) whisk to ER
4) start IV dilaudid and pump
5) not eat and start puking my brains out - usually about the 2nd day. Usually, several times an hour. Thankfully, pain is usually starting to get better by then anyway.
6) get off that crap as fast as possible and go home on Tylenol. 🫤

Nov 17, 2019
They gave me Dilaudid IV several times while I was inside. But again, I never felt anything other than relief from pain and able to sleep. One nurse told me it was '10 x stronger than Morphene'.

I hav several partial bottles of Hydrocodone from Dental visits. I almost never finish a 'script. Probably should throw them out somewhere, somehow as some of them are several years old.

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
I've had to use them on and off in my life, never found them particularily interesting or wanted to feel numb. wine gets me there. you do want to take some laxatives because your crap will be bricked up after a few days. could use it as fucking mortar for a brick wall.

kt

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2000
They gave me Dilaudid IV several times while I was inside. But again, I never felt anything other than relief from pain and able to sleep. One nurse told me it was '10 x stronger than Morphene'.

I hav several partial bottles of Hydrocodone from Dental visits. I almost never finish a 'script. Probably should throw them out somewhere, somehow as some of them are several years old.
They give you hydrocodone for dental visits? When I had my root canal, they prescribed a week worth of ibuprofen 600mg/tablet for me. I took 2 tablets that same day and that was it, didn't feel the need the day after. Can't imagine needing anything more than normal pain killers for dental visits though.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
They give you hydrocodone for dental visits? When I had my root canal, they prescribed a week worth of ibuprofen 600mg/tablet for me. I took 2 tablets that same day and that was it, didn't feel the need the day after. Can't imagine needing anything more than normal pain killers for dental visits though.
They gave me Vicodin when I got my wisdom teeth out.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
When I had my knee surgery almost 20 years ago, the ortho prescribed oxycontin, Norco, (hydrocodone/vicodin) valium, and Ambien.

Didn't matter if I took them or not, the work comp insurance company REQUIRED me to fill the prescriptions when they were given.

I think I still have at least a 5 gallon bucket full of that shit.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Always prefer the Vic buzz to Percs. The oxy in Percs causes equilibrium issues, which can lead to tummy trouble. At least for me.

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
When I had my knee surgery almost 20 years ago, the ortho prescribed oxycontin, Norco, (hydrocodone/vicodin) valium, and Ambien.

Didn't matter if I took them or not, the work comp insurance company REQUIRED me to fill the prescriptions when they were given.

You have a 5 gallon bucket full of schedule 1 narcotics?

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I did get Tylenol 3 when I ruptured my eardrum a long time back, it mostly made me very sleepy (and was also very effective at killing the pain, ruptured eardrum hurts like a motherfucker, right up there with ripping a toenail out). I built up a tolerance very quickly though, seemed like it was less effective with each day that passed.
I broke a bunch of ribs last year and they gave me a couple of bottles of oral morphine, a few packets of codeine and a load of laxatives!
Opiates don't do a lot for me, I ended up flushing them and self medicating with booze (which wasn't the healthy option).

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
I had it when I had a bad case of mono due to the awful sore throat. About 20 minutes after taking it I was watching lint float in the air and I thought it was the most amazing thing I’d ever seen.

Nov 17, 2019
^^^^ You don't have to be under the effects of anything for this one.

Close your eyes and try to focus on the various floaties that appear to be on the insides of your eyelids. Use your fingers to (VERY GENTLY) put pressure on the outside of the lids and watch the kaleidoscope type effect in all sorts of colors.

• Haha
Reactions: ch33zw1z

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
^^^^ You don't have to be under the effects of anything for this one.

Close your eyes and try to focus on the various floaties that appear to be on the insides of your eyelids. Use your fingers to (VERY GENTLY) put pressure on the outside of the lids and watch the kaleidoscope type effect in all sorts of colors.

It’s really not the same thing.

My body really doesn’t like perc’s, but likes vikes. Opiates work very well, and I understand why people get addicted.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009

Well, these days your supposed to turn all the stuff in somewhere. The old reliable flush apparently won''t do. Don't want any strung out fish or something. It's almost like when people believed you could dump a bunch of acid in a lake and have to whole community tripping balls.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Good move on the Supreme Court, hopefully they follow through on it. For the life of me I don't see how anyone can legally justify granting immunity to non-bankrupt third parties as part of bankruptcy proceeding. It gives the third parties (Sackler family) all the benefit of bankruptcy law without subjecting their vast assets to bankruptcy.

Reactions: hal2kilo

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
Have been prescribed oxycodone and Vicodin several times for surgery. Usually use only 25% of the script. Zero addiction. Zero high. A fair amount of nausea if taken on an empty stomach. Have no idea how people get hooked other than if they have chronic severe pain and it takes it away. That I get. But a regular guy with no pain getting hooked on oxycodone I don't understand

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Well, these days your supposed to turn all the stuff in somewhere. The old reliable flush apparently won''t do. Don't want any strung out fish or something. It's almost like when people believed you could dump a bunch of acid in a lake and have to whole community tripping balls.

Fuck that...I ain't giving this good shit to the cops. They can get their "candy" the old fashioned way...by rousting drug dealers.
I think I still have some percocet left from the mid-90's...I don't take any of this shit...fckn hate it, but I'd rather have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Reactions: dank69 and hal2kilo

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Have been prescribed oxycodone and Vicodin several times for surgery. Usually use only 25% of the script. Zero addiction. Zero high. A fair amount of nausea if taken on an empty stomach. Have no idea how people get hooked other than if they have chronic severe pain and it takes it away. That I get. But a regular guy with no pain getting hooked on oxycodone I don't understand
everybody is different and every body is different. just because you didn't react in addictive manner doesn't mean someone else won't.

it's like side effects - sure you might not experience them specifically, but give them to enough people and somebody is going to be on the receiving end just because of statistics.