S.T.A.L.K.E.R. sells 1.65 million.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
Originally posted by: apoppin
jeeze ... i figured that out in the first hour
... actually from watching the intro :p

The intro didn't tip me off like Sherlock Holmes here, but by the time you get to Strelok's stash they've already dropped some pretty obvious hints. They just never really come out and say it till the end.

kirilus

Feb 7, 2008
After you talk to Doctor - you know, because he calls you "Strelok" and blames you for falling into your own trap. Anyway this is way before you have to visit the reactor.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: Pugnate
So between 1 million Crysis sales, 1.65+ million STALKER sales, 1.5 million + Orange Box sales... HOW is PC gaming screwed again?

Halo 3 sold more alone then all those together is why

tigersty1e

Golden Member
Dec 13, 2004
Originally posted by: Anubis
So between 1 million Crysis sales, 1.65+ million STALKER sales, 1.5 million + Orange Box sales... HOW is PC gaming screwed again?

Halo 3 spent more on marketing than x times those 3.

tigersty1e

Golden Member
Dec 13, 2004
Originally posted by: kirilus
After you talk to Doctor - you know, because he calls you "Strelok" and blames you for falling into your own trap. Anyway this is way before you have to visit the reactor.

Actually, the missions split right before this.

Right after Lake Yantar, the barkeep tells you to go turn off the brain scorcher... which leads into the power plant.

There is also a side mission that tells you to meet the guide. It's up to the player to choose.

The problem with this is that the guide is all the way back in Cordon... while the player is at the bar and the brain scorcher is up north. Of course my first time through I was planning on turning off the brain scorcher and then meeting the guide. There's no way to know that choosing the brain scorcher mission leads to the wrong ending...

The game makers should've stressed the Strelok missions.. but the ending seemed like an afterthought. The game was about exploration and curiosity, but only gave you 5 minutes to get inside the plant once you got to the power plant... that was a complete waste.

kirilus

Feb 7, 2008
Originally posted by: tigersty1e
Originally posted by: kirilus

Actually, the missions split right before this.

Right after Lake Yantar, the barkeep tells you to go turn off the brain scorcher... which leads into the power plant.

There is also a side mission that tells you to meet the guide. It's up to the player to choose.

The problem with this is that the guide is all the way back in Cordon... while the player is at the bar and the brain scorcher is up north. Of course my first time through I was planning on turning off the brain scorcher and then meeting the guide. There's no way to know that choosing the brain scorcher mission leads to the wrong ending...

The game makers should've stressed the Strelok missions.. but the ending seemed like an afterthought. The game was about exploration and curiosity, but only gave you 5 minutes to get inside the plant once you got to the power plant... that was a complete waste.

What about after the power plant? I mean, after you 'solve' the secret of monolith? It wasn't bad, I though.

GundamSonicZeroX

Platinum Member
Oct 6, 2005

Crysis isn't on Mountain Dew bottles.

Krakn3Dfx

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2000
http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/n...65-Million-Copies-Sold

http://www.actiontrip.com/rei/...news.phtml?id=022308_3

Stand up and *clap*

I SAID STAND UP AND CLAP.

In other news, Chris Taylor says what?

I picked up Stalker for $7.36 on clearance at Target...but it was new, so I'm assuming it counts. :)

Good game, I've played 2-3 hours of it, need to go back and finish it up, but it was a lot of fun, and adequately creepy for the genre. I'll probably try to finish it up before Clear Sky, so I can play that when it comes out.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: GundamSonicZeroX

its no secret that advertising helps sell things

however its still a valid point when 1 major console games sells as much as 3 of the bigger/est PC games of the year that the PC industry does have some issues to deal with

i dont think its screwed or any of that nor am im saying that halo is better then the PC games

im just saying that if blockbuster console games outsell PC games by 4x the PC industry is in for a rough ride

tigersty1e

Golden Member
Dec 13, 2004

however its still a valid point when 1 major console games sells as much as 3 of the bigger/est PC games of the year that the PC industry does have some issues to deal with

i dont think its screwed or any of that nor am im saying that halo is better then the PC games

im just saying that if blockbuster console games outsell PC games by 4x the PC industry is in for a rough ride

2007 pc top seller was 3.5 million units with WOW expansion pack.

If you bring up the best selling xbox 360 seller then compare apples to apples...

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com

If you bring up the best selling xbox 360 seller then compare apples to apples...

heh yea i always forget about wow, however dont some of the PC indusrty types feel the MMOs will be the downfall of the PC gaming industry and generally hate them?

i rememebr reading that on here

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com

heh yea i always forget about wow, however dont some of the PC indusrty types feel the MMOs will be the downfall of the PC gaming industry and generally hate them?

i rememebr reading that on here

... and i always thought "the Sims" was the downfall of the PC gaming industry :p

you guys gotta remember that MS has been THROWING money at the Xbox platform - bleeding hundreds of millions of dollars every year ... and for the first 8 years it has lost MS big money - despite the fact that you pay $10 more for each Xbox game over same game released for PC

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003

I never understood why reporters combine the Wii, PS3, 360, GameBoy, and PSP together and pit their combined sales against the PC when, IMO, one should compare them all separately, that is unless the Wii, PS3, 360, Gameboy, and PSP are all compatible with each others games now (which I know is not the case).

Not to mention the fact that many reports exclude sales via online distribution methods (like xbox live, STEAM, Direct2Drive, etc.)

tuteja1986

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2005
The only people that think that PC is actually dead are people in USA :!

In Europe , Australia , Korea , China ... ect , PC is the king. Some PC RTS that actually fail to sell 200K in US sell 2million plus in Europe alone :! Codename Panzer being one :! alot of you may have never played it but its huge in Europe country. By the way Crysis was a good looking game but had the crappiest story.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Of course Halo 3 sold a bazillion copies, Consolers are desperate for FPS games.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
You find out that you're Strelok to late. They need to bring this out before you go visit Chernobyl NPP.
I figured this out the second time I visited the lair and triggered the trap. The guy said words to the effect of "what are you doing, you told me to set that trap".

gtd2000

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 1999
I must admit I really enjoyed this game as well - never even gave any thought to being Strelok either :D ...or that I was supposed to be working it out ;)

Talking of the missions - there was one mission where I had to find the "family rifle" - this is from the bar location - anyway I would always get to the small building beside the railway cars and according to the map I was right on top of the spot where the rifle should be - but could never find it???

Did anybody ever find it?

Farley2k

Jan 5, 2003
Originally posted by: gtd2000
I must admit I really enjoyed this game as well - never even gave any thought to being Strelok either :D ...or that I was supposed to be working it out ;)

Talking of the missions - there was one mission where I had to find the "family rifle" - this is from the bar location - anyway I would always get to the small building beside the railway cars and according to the map I was right on top of the spot where the rifle should be - but could never find it???

SPOILER (obviously)

It is a shotgun which is actually underground. You need to find a ramp to the underground - like an underground parking garage type ramp, go down there and it is tucked away. You have to do some jumping on a car or two to get around an anomaly.

The problem is that the map really doesn't tell you it is below your feet, so lots of people stand on the spot and cant figure it out. Plus the ramp to the underground area isn't right near by so it is easy to miss.

PhatoseAlpha

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2005
Originally posted by: BFG10K
You find out that you're Strelok to late. They need to bring this out before you go visit Chernobyl NPP.
I figured this out the second time I visited the lair and triggered the trap. The guy said words to the effect of "what are you doing, you told me to set that trap".

More then that, Doc calls you Strelok in that same conversation, and those goes "What, did you lose your memory or something?"

gtd2000

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 1999
Originally posted by: Farley2k
Originally posted by: gtd2000

SPOILER (obviously)

It is a shotgun which is actually underground. You need to find a ramp to the underground - like an underground parking garage type ramp, go down there and it is tucked away. You have to do some jumping on a car or two to get around an anomaly.

The problem is that the map really doesn't tell you it is below your feet, so lots of people stand on the spot and cant figure it out. Plus the ramp to the underground area isn't right near by so it is easy to miss.

Cheers for that! I'll need to revist that level if I still have it saved..which I doubt ;)

Stoneburner

Diamond Member
May 29, 2003
this game has grown on me. I need a mod for the weight limit though, and i dont like stuff to deterioriate. When i finally reached the bar I bought a rifle with a scope on it, lots of ammunition. Then I killed people with the pso-1 scopes so i have those on most of my rifles. So now I can do some real damage. I also foudn the meatchunk artifact which gives plus 400 percent health and another artifact that gives plus 200 percent health. however, i have very poor defense against clawing mutants.