• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. sells 1.65 million.

raystorm

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
4,712
2
0
I"m happy for GSC. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is a damn fine game and I await Clear Sky.
 

Pugnate

Senior member
Jun 25, 2006
690
0
0
So between 1 million Crysis sales, 1.65+ million STALKER sales, 1.5 million + Orange Box sales... HOW is PC gaming screwed again?
 

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
9,306
3
81
Originally posted by: Pugnate
So between 1 million Crysis sales, 1.65+ million STALKER sales, 1.5 million + Orange Box sales... HOW is PC gaming screwed again?
Clearly, all those people who downloaded it would have bought it if only privacy didn't exist so the sales would have been even better.
 

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
9,148
0
0
Very good news. Coulda guessed "success" since the 'prequel' is coming out in late march though. Can't wait. Just hope they un-fuxxor3d the HDR-artifact problem.
 

Stoneburner

Diamond Member
May 29, 2003
3,491
0
76
Fuck STALKER. I dont' get the mission system, I dont know why some missions fail for no reason, I dont know why i fail missions i had no idea i had, I don't know why 4 gunshots to somebody's head only gives them a mild itch

:(

lucky i only paid $20 bucks for this thing.
 

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
9,148
0
0
Originally posted by: Stoneburner
Fuck STALKER. I dont' get the mission system, I dont know why some missions fail for no reason, I dont know why i fail missions i had no idea i had, I don't know why 4 gunshots to somebody's head only gives them a mild itch

:(

lucky i only paid $20 bucks for this thing.
Check the time limit. It's retarded, but you only have 24 hours or so for most side-quests. Once the time runs out, you fail. I found that out my first run through. Turned out it was a bad idea to load up on quests in town and proceed with the main story quests for a while.

Once you play a bit further, you'll only need 1 round to the head to kill most people. The first 5 hours are the toughest.
 

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
16,240
5
76
Originally posted by: Pugnate
So between 1 million Crysis sales, 1.65+ million STALKER sales, 1.5 million + Orange Box sales... HOW is PC gaming screwed again?
Those numbers are good and it indicates pc fps sales is doing great.
Now if strategy and rpg sales could increase.


Whether they are claiming its piracy, more consoles out there, ease of use, or whatever,

Its more profitable to sell copies of a game on the console than it is the pc, thats basically all that the developers are saying.

They just don't want to come out and say , 'We are doing consoles because it pays more".

 

Piuc2020

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2005
1,716
0
0
The whole piracy thing is blown way out of proportion, just because a million users downloaded a torrent doesn't mean those million users would have bought the game instead... plus I'm not sure what figures the industry uses to calculate the number of pirated copies, what did the whiney guys at Infinity Ward (as if their friggin CoD4 game couldn't be racking up anymore cash and selling any better) about the "shocking number" of pirated copies? How the hell did they know that?

PC Gaming is not dying, but consoles are threading way too heavily into it, making many games like Bioshock fail to be everything they could be, in that sense, PC Gaming is dying, not because sales are weak but because the games and genres that were tied up with the PC are now being stolen away and corrupted by consoles, not as many good games are being released. There will always be games for the PC and good sales as well, it's just that what made PC Gaming is so great is slowly dying.
 

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
7,581
0
0
Yikes, 1.65 million people had to put up with all the bugs? That says as much about the tolerance of PC gamers as the quality of the game.
 
Apr 17, 2005
13,465
3
81
Originally posted by: Modelworks
Originally posted by: Pugnate
So between 1 million Crysis sales, 1.65+ million STALKER sales, 1.5 million + Orange Box sales... HOW is PC gaming screwed again?
Those numbers are good and it indicates pc fps sales is doing great.
Now if strategy and rpg sales could increase.


Whether they are claiming its piracy, more consoles out there, ease of use, or whatever,

Its more profitable to sell copies of a game on the console than it is the pc, thats basically all that the developers are saying.

They just don't want to come out and say , 'We are doing consoles because it pays more".
good news is that the witcher and sins of a solar empire are selling very well.
 

I4AT

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2006
2,629
1
76
Originally posted by: Stoneburner
Fuck STALKER. I dont' get the mission system, I dont know why some missions fail for no reason, I dont know why i fail missions i had no idea i had, I don't know why 4 gunshots to somebody's head only gives them a mild itch

:(

lucky i only paid $20 bucks for this thing.
I paid $10 for my copy from CC, played it once and decided to trade it.
 

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
38,416
4
0
Seems like FPS players want more RPG "elements" these days in their single player games.....
 

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
11,234
4
81
Originally posted by: Piuc2020
The whole piracy thing is blown way out of proportion, just because a million users downloaded a torrent doesn't mean those million users would have bought the game instead... plus I'm not sure what figures the industry uses to calculate the number of pirated copies, what did the whiney guys at Infinity Ward (as if their friggin CoD4 game couldn't be racking up anymore cash and selling any better) about the "shocking number" of pirated copies? How the hell did they know that?

PC Gaming is not dying, but consoles are threading way too heavily into it, making many games like Bioshock fail to be everything they could be, in that sense, PC Gaming is dying, not because sales are weak but because the games and genres that were tied up with the PC are now being stolen away and corrupted by consoles, not as many good games are being released. There will always be games for the PC and good sales as well, it's just that what made PC Gaming is so great is slowly dying.
Not really. COD4 sold less than 400k PC copies, while it sold well over 1 million 360 copies. They know it was pirated a lot because they can tell what % of players playing online are using an illegal key.

I don't know how anyone can say piracy doesn't hurt sales.

 
Apr 17, 2005
13,465
3
81
damn, i thought cod was doing well. it was steams top seller, even over orange box, until a few days ago when it slipped to 2nd cause of audiosurf.
 

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
38,416
4
0
Originally posted by: Inspector Jihad
damn, i thought cod was doing well. it was steams top seller, even over orange box, until a few days ago when it slipped to 2nd cause of audiosurf.
Those figures might just be for retail sales.
 

Extelleron

Diamond Member
Dec 26, 2005
3,127
0
71
Originally posted by: DangerAardvark
Yikes, 1.65 million people had to put up with all the bugs? That says as much about the tolerance of PC gamers as the quality of the game.
It's buggy, but the game is so good that it is worth putting up with them.

STALKER is a really great game and I'm glad that the game sold well. It was a really original game and I can't wait for Clear Sky.

I don't know that this means much for PC gaming in the West, though. It looks like 900,000 of those 1.65 million sales came from the former Soviet states and only 700,000 copies were sold in the US/West Europe. The reason this game sold so well is probably that it appealed to a different audience.
 

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
5,081
103
106
I'm proud for GSC GameWorld, they've worked freakin' seven years of their lives for S.T.A.L.K.E.R., they certainly deserve no less, but they certainly deserver more than that. And I just can't wait to buy the prequel, although I must be honest, that I am in great doubt about a March release date, but I do have hope, I do.
 

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004
3,752
0
0
Well I didn't experience any bugs and I played from release....nevertheless it's a great game and good to see it's doing well, likewise for GSC- didn't they come from nowhere with this? I certainly hadn't heard of them before. Let's hope their newly found wad of cash equates to Clear sky being a kick ass game :).
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY