S.T.A.L.K.E.R is a P.O.S

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hooflung

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2004
Originally posted by: apoppin
Originally posted by: Skacer
Often times, people have trouble getting into games that they perform poorly at.

even worse they badmouth them - because they don't 'get it' or it doesn't fit their preconceived notions of what it should be

those of us who do get it mostly liked this slightly-rough gem

QFT

Originally posted by: Nebor
I played it for 1 or 2 hours. Hated it almost as much as I hated EVE Online. Gave it away immediately.

SEE QFT'ed QUOTE ABOVE

Got to love A.D.D. gamers who think they know what they want.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Originally posted by: LcarsSystem
It just really kills me, crap like this is what pissed me off about WoW... Things that should be so simple and instinctually put into the game somehow manage to go overlooked. I expected more from a game from the likes of THQ who are known for making, imo, some of the best games out there. :|

You mean "publish" right?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I am playing the game right now; I'm at the bar, and so far my only real compliants are:

* You should be able to get upgrades for carrying loot. :(

* Quest Management

* No Transit system :roll:

* No Loot Migration (Say you put all your loot in the chest at the beginning with the Trader, you should be able to access that loot in say the bar in the city) :|

Correct me if I'm wrong on the last one, but it seems so simple to me to think that the player might actually appreciate a transit or loot migration system in the game. I was hooked on this game, but ever since I got to the bar and discovered that I'll have to haul all 100+ lbs. of my loot seems ridiculous, and thus has turned me off from the game, I haven't played it for about a week now.

Loot Migration? Not very realistic.

The only things you should Pickup are what you need and Artifacts, Animal Parts, Suits, or Items from Item Missions. Early on Weapons can be carried for extra money, but later on they are just a waste of time.

Later in the game there is also a Suit that allows 75kg carrying capacity, but it also slows you down.

LcarsSystem

Mar 13, 2006
Originally posted by: sandorski
I am playing the game right now; I'm at the bar, and so far my only real compliants are:

* You should be able to get upgrades for carrying loot. :(

* Quest Management

* No Transit system :roll:

* No Loot Migration (Say you put all your loot in the chest at the beginning with the Trader, you should be able to access that loot in say the bar in the city) :|

Correct me if I'm wrong on the last one, but it seems so simple to me to think that the player might actually appreciate a transit or loot migration system in the game. I was hooked on this game, but ever since I got to the bar and discovered that I'll have to haul all 100+ lbs. of my loot seems ridiculous, and thus has turned me off from the game, I haven't played it for about a week now.

Loot Migration? Not very realistic.

The only things you should Pickup are what you need and Artifacts, Animal Parts, Suits, or Items from Item Missions. Early on Weapons can be carried for extra money, but later on they are just a waste of time.

Later in the game there is also a Suit that allows 75kg carrying capacity, but it also slows you down.

A simple loot transit system isn't so much to ask, for those of us with O.C.D. it really is bothersome because I have to loot everything and either packrat it or sell it or I feel like I am missing out on something.

That's good news for the suit, it would be best if they had better documentation though in the manual explaining such possible features and upgrades.

Pez D Spencer

Banned
Nov 22, 2005
I agree, I thought it sucked too. The main thing I hated was the lack of voice acting. All the characters you came across used text for the speech and it just ruined the whole pace and realness of the game. Plus it seemed like there were millions of side missions and it made the game seem unorganized and lacking focus. I played for about 30 minutes total and after the first gunfight with impossible to kill enemies who could take you down in one shot I'd had enough. I didn't think the graphics were that great either. They looked bland and washed out. Maybe I didn't give the game enough time but I wasn't impressed at all.

Engraver

Jun 5, 2007
Originally posted by: Pez D Spencer
I agree, I thought it sucked too. The main thing I hated was the lack of voice acting. All the characters you came across used text for the speech and it just ruined the whole pace and realness of the game.

I'd rather read text than hear the same 7-8 voice actors for every single person in the game world (*cough* Oblivion *cough*).

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
I agree, I thought it sucked too. The main thing I hated was the lack of voice acting. All the characters you came across used text for the speech and it just ruined the whole pace and realness of the game. Plus it seemed like there were millions of side missions and it made the game seem unorganized and lacking focus. I played for about 30 minutes total and after the first gunfight with impossible to kill enemies who could take you down in one shot I'd had enough. I didn't think the graphics were that great either. They looked bland and washed out. Maybe I didn't give the game enough time but I wasn't impressed at all.

That's a lot of "seeming" for a whole half an hour of play. In half an hour after starting, I was still exploring the nearby village. Looks like you were desperately looking for a fast paced, shoot 'em up with nice cutscenes. Sidequests are optional and there were maybe 10 you could have done in the first area. And it only lacks focus if you don't bother to read the dialogue, check quest logs and want a linear, hold your hand game. And yes, they can take you down in one shot if you don't use cover and think that an RPG style game will let you start off as god. Don't worry, all your complaints point to, AGAIN, that you are in the "don't get it" crowd.

Honestly, I think THQ failed miserably in the marketing department. They managed to "misinform" way too many people expecting a straight shooter.

Engraver, you said it, I hate voice acting in games for non-essential characters. A lot of characters (*cough* Oblivion *cough*) are either poorly acted, sound annoying, sound the same as 5 other people or just talk really slow. Even if there's good acting, I read through before the actor finishes. Only Picard and Sean Bean in Oblivion kept my interest when they spoke.

Engraver

Jun 5, 2007
Originally posted by: Imp
Engraver, you said it, I hate voice acting in games for non-essential characters. A lot of characters (*cough* Oblivion *cough*) are either poorly acted, sound annoying, sound the same as 5 other people or just talk really slow. Even if there's good acting, I read through before the actor finishes. Only Picard and Sean Bean in Oblivion kept my interest when they spoke.

Both games would have been better if just those two did all the voice overs. Would have been funny to hear Patrick Stewart doing the voice of that orc lord with the horrible vocabulary. Rothgut or something like that.

Trianon

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2000
www.conkurent.com
I agree, I thought it sucked too. The main thing I hated was the lack of voice acting.

All voice acting was done in Russian, probably was not included in English release. It's actually pretty good and rated R, if you speak Russian. Got a copy in Kiev, Ukraine couple of weeks ago, so far I like it a lot.

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Trianon
I agree, I thought it sucked too. The main thing I hated was the lack of voice acting.

All voice acting was done in Russian, probably was not included in English release. It's actually pretty good and rated R, if you speak Russian. Got a copy in Kiev, Ukraine couple of weeks ago, so far I like it a lot.

Cool. They should've kept the Russian voices and sub-titled them in Engrish.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Originally posted by: coloumb
Originally posted by: Trianon

Cool. They should've kept the Russian voices and sub-titled them in Engrish.

Yeah that would have been nice.

tvdang7

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2005
i cant shoot either and i keep dying by random lightning. !@#$%^&*^$#@#$%^ game looks good tho.

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
It's a bit difficult at first. I can't believe they spent 5 years making it either. Apparently it's the devs' first game though. You need to take cover during fights and be careful. Wait for enemies to come looking for you and shoot them, rather than the other way around. I was a bit annoyed that the double-barrelled shotgun is called a "Rifle," but whatever.

I also hate that you have to return to the starting camp to get the reward for some missions as well. And sometimes the game will give you a mission without you asking for it. One other little pet peeve is that when you take missions from people, they don't tell you where you're going before you accept it - just kill the guy; get the artifact; clear the building.

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
I personally love the game, but there's something DEFINITELY wrong with the scope.
I could be fully laying on the ground, stable, zoomed in and hold my target onto the guy's head for a good 10 seconds, shoot, and it'll still fvcking miss!!!
Not to mention they often drop a few seconds after you shoot them, with a huge sniper rifle. That thing is supposed to blow the whole head off.
Other than that, it's a pretty awesome game.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Ha. Ya, the scope "inaccuracy" is pretty annoying. Lucky for me, I play Operation Flashpoint/Armed Assault and the like where every scope is like that. Think their trying to simulate dispersion. Eventually, you get used to it or switch to quantity over quality... *cough* full-auto.

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
Isn't the point of a sniper is that there is little to no dispersion? Is a sniper really that hard to shoot in real life when you have a scope and crosshairs?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: astroidea
Isn't the point of a sniper is that there is little to no dispersion? Is a sniper really that hard to shoot in real life when you have a scope and crosshairs?

If you are moving it would be. Accuracy would also only be close to 100% with a single shot, after that everything becomes somewhat randomly aimed.

jandrews

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2007

somewhat, there is a lot of things to take into effect such as wind etc a long range snipe shot is going to be tough if you just have a generic scope on top.

2Dead

Feb 19, 2005

The silenced sniper rifle (forget the name) is really accurate. For the most part, there is only a bullet drop you have to get used to but its fairly easy to predict.