Ryzen: Strictly technical

Discussion in 'CPUs and Overclocking' started by The Stilt, Mar 2, 2017.

1. iBoMbY

iBoMbY Member

How many times does it have to be repeated? GloFo doesn't do LPU, and GloFo will always remain the main factory for AMD CPUs, as long as there is a WSA. It is highly unlikely that AMD will manufacture any CPUs at a secondary manufacturer (or any chip at two different manufacturers at the same time, because it would double a lot of fixed costs), and using a different process at this secondary manufacturer is even more unlikely.

2. T1beriu

T1beriu Member

Corect. They have not announced LPU or any other improvement that Samsung has done to 14nm.

They changed the WSA to use other foundries. I think they did it as a backup in case the demand is very high and GF can't sustain it.

If they're using Samsung I'm sure they will use it for high margin products to cover the expenses of WSA.

Again, it depends. If the changes are very minor I think it can be done, if not, I agree.

3. SpaceBeer

SpaceBeer Senior member

IIRC, accoridng to latest WSA, AMD would have to pay penalties to GloFo only if they don't order certain number of wafers. So if GloFo is fully utilized, and AMD needs more chips, they can go to Samsung or TSMC without any consequences.

Regarding differences between Samsung's LPU, and GF's LPP, I don't think is huge enough in terms of manufacturing requirements, and it wouldn't be that hard (expensive) for AMD to use it for Zen. But also, Polaris refresh is using improved LPP, and it may be that one is quite similar to LPU, just GF didn't change the name :)

Aenra likes this.
  4. The Stilt

The Stilt Golden Member

Is the 14nm LPU even available in volume at the moment?
    AFAIK the node used for Polaris refreshes is 14nm LPC (i.e. more cost effective and more mature LPP).

Drazick likes this.
  5. iBoMbY

iBoMbY Member

GloFo still needs to approve everything outsourced, and they won't approve them losing their bread and butter products.

6. raghu78

raghu78 Diamond Member

14 LPU is not in production. 14 LPU PDKs are only now available. Any chip designed on 14 LPU can launch only in mid-H2 2018.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Dresdenboy likes this.
  7. Ajay

Ajay Diamond Member

Thanks. Any links on this? I'm having a hard time figuring out what 14LPP+ is for GloFo. It could be similar to what what Intel has done (mainly, geometry change to the FinFet).
    Anyway, haven't been able to find anything on 14LPP+ via Google. Maybe my google-fu sucks.

8. maddie

maddie Golden Member

Are you stating that even if GloFlo can't produce a product because of capacity constraints, AMD still has to get permission to fab elsewhere?

9. moinmoin

moinmoin Member

10. scannall

scannall Senior member

Yes. It's the last nasty leftover from Hector. Hector benefited greatly. And came close to sinking the company.

11. Veradun

Veradun Senior member

PDK should be out now, so the answer should be "no".

https://news.samsung.com/global/sam...ndry-offerings-with-14lpu-and-10lpu-processes

Hector Ruin

ZGR, lightmanek and Kuosimodo like this.
  12. CatMerc

CatMerc Senior member

Apparently not, it's still LPP.
    I had the suspicion, but it was confirmed somewhere to be a more mature LPP.

13. The Stilt

The Stilt Golden Member

The 14nm LPP is officially advertized as "2nd gen.".
    Since the Polaris refreshes are advertized to be built with "3rd gen finfet process" it means either GF is tinkering with the process themselves, or 14nm LPC is used.
    More mature production with the same exact process wouldn't justify it being called as newer generation.

looncraz and Drazick like this.
  14. CatMerc

CatMerc Senior member

That was my thought process too, but apparently AMD marketing thinks otherwise.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11280/amd-announces-the-radeon-rx-500-series-polaris

T1beriu likes this.
  15. fleshconsumed

fleshconsumed Diamond Member

Curious, would it be technically possible to hav more than 8 cores on AM4 platform? Are there enough pins to have more than 8 cores? Just wondering if Zen2 could have more than 8 cores when it comes a year or two later? Does anybody know?

16. teejee

teejee Member

well, it would still be with dual channel memory though. No pins on AM4 for quad channel.
    I don't think dual channel on 12 or 16 core is acceptable.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

17. DrMrLordX

DrMrLordX Diamond Member

Probably not acceptable for 16 core unless there are some major improvements in DDR4 speeds (and an IMC to match). DDR4-4266 would be a minimum!

18. The Stilt

The Stilt Golden Member

Having two dies in MCM wouldn't change the bandwidth (MEMCLK) requirement, since the inter-die communication takes place on GMI.

IEC and Drazick like this.
  19. Opcode

Opcode Junior Member

There's a limited number of pins on AM4. Future products will likely have the same integrated I/O capabilities. Eight cores on AM4 (what is really a mainstream platform) I think is plenty for the next several years. All AMD needs to do is commit to IPC increases while maintaining the same or less power. Any clock improvements would only be a bonus. That seems to be AMD's forward focus is IPC improvements.

20. coercitiv

coercitiv Platinum Member

Indeed, eight cores is plenty for the life of AM4: frequency increase alone could keep this platform afloat, considering we're talking about 25% headroom in (MT) clocks as manufacturing process improves and power usage allows. Add any IPC jump on top of that, even if we stay in the realm of 5-10%, and there's plenty of room to grow as efficiency rises, likely more than next gen process allows for.

Drazick likes this.
  21. Timur Born

Timur Born Member

I am sure someone is interested in this. Edit "L2 to L2" to "Remote L2", sorry for the confusion.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Interestingly remote L2 cache hit latency is slightly higher one way around (CPU0 to CPU10) than the other way around (CPU10 to CPU0).

#1646 Timur Born, Jun 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
    CatMerc, Aenra, Dresdenboy and 3 others like this.
  22. tamz_msc

tamz_msc Golden Member

Is anybody aware of the issues with Ryzen throwing up random segfaults during heavy-duty compilation tasks and the associated thread over @ Gentoo forums?

Drazick likes this.
  23. Timur Born

Timur Born Member

Someone correct me please, but after comparing 3333-14 vs. 3600-18 it seems that lower latency memory is bottlenecked by the (whatever) fabric connection between CPU and memory? I would expect 3333-14 latency to be lower than 3600-18, but alas, it is not so.

Dresdenboy likes this.
  24. CatMerc

CatMerc Senior member

Any number of factors could be affecting it. Don't forget the various subtimings.

looncraz likes this.
  25. Timur Born

Timur Born Member

I am running tighter sub-timings with 3333-14, so that should be covered, other than the impact on latency being miniscule. Most of the other factors should be under my control as well.

It really seems that tightening 3333-14 any further has little impact, while running 3600 much looser wins the latency race. I interpret this as the (whatever) fabric being the bottleneck with the lower memory clock rate (MT/2). But other people with more insight might be able to clarify this?!

#1650 Timur Born, Jun 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
    Dresdenboy likes this.