Ryzen: Strictly technical

Discussion in 'CPUs and Overclocking' started by The Stilt, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Rifter

Rifter Diamond Member

So you would recommend waiting for next stepping? it seems you insider thinks there will be fixed silicon out before zen+, as he said few months, and zen+ is a year+ away.

2. lolfail9001

lolfail9001 Senior member

It is still hard locked to memory clock, bear that in mind.

I mean, once they add some control over memory, that may/will become relevant. But now now.

3. Wall Street

Wall Street Senior member

That isn't right. Socket 1366 arrived before 1156.

4. Justinbaileyman

Justinbaileyman Golden Member

What does it even matter how much better the yields get or waiting for a next stepping this and that when the darn software doesnt even support the hardware its running on!! Thats the point. :mad:Its like a car company saying oh look you can upgrade your gas hog rust bucket of a beater for this here shiny new car for less then your car is worth and it runs great on this here new fuel called jelly 205.but after you buy the new car there is no place that even carries jelly 205.. Give it a few months lots of gas stations will carry jelly 205. really?? when everyone is like what the hell is jelly 205?? is this a fair comparison or am I just way out in left field here?

5. bjt2

bjt2 Senior member

Integer Zen performance isn't bad. It's FP pefrormance that can be improved. For instance with 4 symmetric 128 bit FMACs that can do also FMUL, FADD and ivec. Maybe specialization only on FDIV, SQRT and some IVEC instructions, but better if they are fully symmetric to fully exploit the advantage of 4 separate FP pipes...

EDIT maybe have also 6 full AGLU instead of 4+2 (Ryzen can perform 4 LEAs yet), maybe more branch, idiv and imul pipelines, even if IDIV is faster than SKL/KBL...

6. dnavas

dnavas Member

While on the one hand that's frustrating, on the other hand, this is almost exactly why I bought this CPU rather than one of Intel's. I can upgrade this one. More than once. I am not going to have the socket I just bought abandoned two weeks after I bought it (not that I'm bitter or anything). What wasn't clear beforehand was whether the upgrades were going to give good performance boosts. Now we have some evidence that at least one of them will ;> I assume this is why the 4 cores are coming out later....
    That does make it easier to accelerate returning the 16GB sticks, as it seems clearer to me that four of them are not likely to work anytime soon.

7. OrangeKhrush

OrangeKhrush Senior member

Not sure what the later silicon will have different but one thing I know on final bios they will return memory subtimings, they were on final QS platforms then AMD removed them.

T1beriu, CatMerc, looncraz and 2 others like this.
  8. Magic Hate Ball

Haven't had a chance, but my ASRock Taichi has a beta BIOS available for memory timing control.

looncraz likes this.
  9. looncraz

looncraz Senior member

I am just going to test latency and bandwidth in single-vs-dual channel mode. I want to know the latency cost between the two PHYs (and, hence, the data fabric).

Drazick likes this.
  10. imported_jjj

imported_jjj Senior member

Have you looked at BF1 DX11 vs DX12?
    Check Computerbase and focus on 7700k, 6900k and Ryzen https://www.computerbase.de/2017-03.../#diagramm-battlefield-1-dx11-multiplayer-fps
    DX11 scales better to more cores and has higher FPS
    DX12 scales poorly and has lower FPS
    Was wondering if AMD's GPUs behave like that too.

11. looncraz

looncraz Senior member

The scheduler issues only show up in a few cases - and AMD is patching those with those app developers.

The Windows scheduler would need a considerable reworking to behave well with Ryzen - there's no way Microsoft would be willing to put in the effort.

There are a few bugs related to the scheduler and Ryzen, but those should be patched with relative ease and no fanfare.

Magic Carpet and Drazick like this.
  12. imported_jjj

#738 imported_jjj, Mar 14, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
    tamz_msc, ZGR and looncraz like this.
  13. The Stilt

The Stilt Golden Member

The DRAM controller firmwares are very similar in structure and size as well.
    Otherwise I could believe that the IP was supplied by Rambus, but AFAIK Rambus doesn't have any GDDR5 IPs.
    Steamroller based parts had DDR3-GDDR5 hybrid controller in them.

Dresdenboy, T1beriu and Drazick like this.
  14. looncraz

looncraz Senior member

Will test when I swap back to the Windows 10 image. But I've only rarely seen DX12 be beneficial since the first few games to use it... usually buggy and unstable - and often slower.

Drazick likes this.
  15. MajinCry

MajinCry Golden Member

the901, CatMerc, antihelten and 10 others like this.
  16. imported_jjj

I think the core scaling would be the most interesting to check.

17. OrangeKhrush

OrangeKhrush Senior member

What I want to know is, is the 7700K stock or stock locked, if not locked then it is running up to 4.5Ghz with a 200mhz advantage already. I like the 3Ghz benches, that is Ryzens most stable clockspeed and it is an acid test on Intels IPC being real or clockspeed related.

ZGR and looncraz like this.
  18. formulav8

formulav8 Diamond Member

They are going by an AMD post apparently. I haven't personally looked into it myself as I won't have one to test until R5 comes out. I'll be using Win7 anyways.

19. dnavas

dnavas Member

-delete- (sorry)

20. formulav8

formulav8 Diamond Member

Correct, an update for that could improve results in certain scenarios.

21. Snarf Snarf

Snarf Snarf Member

I think what the PR blog is saying is that Microsoft is not going to put the effort of rewriting the scheduler behavior for AMD. They don't have the market share or the money to send their own engineers to Microsoft to hold their hands through the code. Optimizations being done on a per app basis is probably AMD's strategy right now, it's easier to have a handful of engineers float around to different devs giving them help where it's needed vs being forced to do the heavy lifting for a project as big as an OS scheduler. The other option could be through microcode updates changing CPUID information that the OS sees, then they can give a short list of priorities to Microsoft to implement once the OS sees that a chip is Ryzen based.

beginner99, looncraz and DeeJayBump like this.
  22. looncraz

looncraz Senior member

That's just fine when your new shiny car also runs on normal gas just fine - just not as well as you know it can.

Ryzen isn't a bad performer at all - it's really really good. Crazy fast in some respects, very energy efficient, and quite stable. We're just waiting on updates that will make it even better.

Even when Ryzen is performing "badly" it is performing like a beast. Unless you run CPU Queen or memory latency benchmarks all day long, you'll never know there's a deficit. Ryzen is strongest where it matters most.

And then you get eight of them bad-boy cores!

#748 looncraz, Mar 14, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  23. Rifter

Rifter Diamond Member

This might be believable, if linux hadn't fixed theirs in less than a week. But that fact that they did makes me think this should not take alot of man hours for MS to fix. Something else is going on here.

Kromaatikse and Justinbaileyman like this.
  24. unseenmorbidity

unseenmorbidity Golden Member

They don't have the engineers to spare to microsoft, but they will send some to every triple a dev team?

Justinbaileyman likes this.