Ryzen Owners : Does 1700 come with Thermal Paste Applied on Cooler?

thepaleobiker

Feb 22, 2017
Hi Ryzen Owners : I've a question put to me by an acquaintance, about whether Ryzen 1700 comes with thermal paste pre-applied. Given that it comes with the CPU Cooler (wraith) I'm guessing the answer is YES.

But rather than guess, I'd love to confirm with new owners of the CPU - Is there thermal paste on the Fan pre -applied? Would you have any images ? I am unable to find any official documentation or information about this. If anyone can throw some light on this question, it'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sincerely,
Vish

EDIT 1 : Thanks to @LTC8K6 I've found a perfect image on Phoronix.

image.php

Last edited:
Reactions: coffeemonster

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Hi Ryzen Owners : I've a question put to me by an acquaintance, about whether Ryzen 1700 comes with thermal paste pre-applied. Given that it comes with the CPU Cooler (wraith) I'm guessing the answer is YES.

But rather than guess, I'd love to confirm with new owners of the CPU - Is there thermal paste on the Fan pre -applied? Would you have any images ? I am unable to find any official documentation or information about this. If anyone can throw some light on this question, it'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sincerely,
Vish
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd-ryzen-1700&num=1

AMDisTheBEST

Dec 17, 2015
I wonder if the 1700 stock cooler can fit in the 202 node case. I plan to build a mini itx console form factor PC next year.

Bacon1

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2016
Has anyone tested the Wraith cooler to see how it performs? Is it worth buying a 212 or Evo or similar or does it work nearly as well?

Rngwn

Dec 17, 2015
Would be nice if someone has tried to compare that paste's performance vs. the aftermarkets. This going to be interest to see if the stock paste is worth wiping off or not.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
Yes. Worked fine. No need for extra paste.
Stock cooler is very fine for no oc. Nice bundled low noise cooler. Quality stuff.
When you oc you need better cooler.
If you go 3.8 212 is not enough.

alexruiz

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2001
The 95W Wraith spire is nice, light cooler.
I suspect it will be a darling of system builders as it has to be screwed into the backing plate. Minimizes risk of CPU popping out of socket.

I have used the original Wraith on 3 Ryzen 7 1700 builds. The fan barely ramps up even when loaded at stock.

Malogeek

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2017
yaktribe.org
Yes. Worked fine. No need for extra paste.
Stock cooler is very fine for no oc. Nice bundled low noise cooler. Quality stuff.
When you oc you need better cooler.
If you go 3.8 212 is not enough.
I mirror this with my tests so far. I tried the Wraith first and it's fine for stock on my 1700 for normal loads. Pushing it to 3.8/1.35v and it was terrible though. Understandable for a stock cooler. My Arctic Freezer 13 (200w cooler) is 25c lower in Handbrake at 3.8Ghz.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
I mirror this with my tests so far. I tried the Wraith first and it's fine for stock on my 1700 for normal loads. Pushing it to 3.8/1.35v and it was terrible though. Understandable for a stock cooler. My Arctic Freezer 13 (200w cooler) is 25c lower in Handbrake at 3.8Ghz.
My oc 3.9 1.375 froze in handbrake with stock cooler. Man i thought i had lost it. Lol.
Using noctua d15 now with low noise adapters on.

Reactions: Malogeek

plopke

Jan 26, 2010
Yes on applied , was kinda hoping anyone would make a review (sound levels)of the cooler but so far only showing unboxing/installs.
Looks like very solid build :
1) simple install no clip on just screws , remove the support socket for clip on heatsinks first(motherboard)
2) rbg cable does not come attached so if you dont want it , it is not in the way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMn-9V3WbCw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdrVpuJLgAc

Reactions: thepaleobiker