Question Ryzen fan speed and cooling

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
Im not sure whats going on here. I redid my pc thinking there was a program running causing it to run all the time maxed out. I installed all the latest drivers for the chipset from AMD, I have the latest driver for my RX 580, and Im not over clocking a thing, all set to stock in bios, and unless Im in bios, it runs ultra fast all the time and never comes down. If Im in bios my cpu fan is quiet, runs at a solid 40c the entire time Im in bios according to it. But once windows is loaded all get out goes nuts, and even after its all booted up, and processes show 1-3 being used, and ram is at 18-23% being used of 32GB, its just chugging away. My temps in the case is at 36 degrees but Im getting tired of hearing the fan go up and down up and down as the cpu is going insane from 45 to 70 degrees bouncing all over the place. I redid my thermal paste twice, once with Arctic Ceramic based pasted, and this time with Arctic MX-4 with no change at all in results. And yes I know how to apply the paste and done correctly for I been building computers for well over 20 years and never messed one up ;)

So what may be your thoughts as far as why its not coming down to stock MHZ at all with absolutely nothing really running, or being used, or things running in the background? I can stop my cpu fan from bouncing its rpm all over the place by just making it go full power in the bios, but then I have to hear my pc be all loud and stuff, and I dont really want that as it sits only 2-3 feet away from me.

My pc is:
Patriot Viper ram 2400mhz 32gb
AMD RX 580 4g
AMD 3600X
gigabyte x470 aorus ultra gaming
Was using a Thermaltake CPU cooler and it was going up and down with the rpm's, so I bought a Stock AMD RGB Spire cooler for it with the same results with rps and heat bouncing too
NZXT H510 case with 4 fans
Corsair X1000 1000 watt modular psu, that shows good steady volts at rated power for the 3.3/5/12v

And thats it, nothing crazy, and ultra cool inside with all the fans in it with 2 fans pulling air, and 2 fans pushing it.

So I am eager to hear what you have to say so I can try it :D

Attachments

• PC.jpg
    PC.jpg
    603.7 KB · Views: 19

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
I did that already for I wasnt sure what it was, and decided to just redo my system with the latest version of windows. Didnt fix my problem. I tried 2 different heat sinks, and 2 different variations of paste, didnt fix it. I tired different monitoring software with 2 showing the same, and one showing different, didnt fix the problem. I have but a 1% load on the cpu, and 0% load on the gpu, showing that there isnt anything taxing the system to cause the high temps, or the aggressive clock speeds being reported other then with Ryzen master being way different, and if at that speed wouldnt be causing my cpu fan to be doing what it is at that speed and heat, and wouldnt be asking for the help. My software is for my Logitech G935 and Razer headset, and I would kinda believe you had it no been for the fact im at a 1% load on the cpu and a 0% load on the gpu, so please lmk why you would think that is maybe the cause when its not taxing my system at all.

I had the Gigiabyte RGB program installed, but have since removed it several days ago when I noticed it was using 7-10% cpu power running in the background, so once I saw that I removed it, and have since dropped to 1-3% cpu usage at idle. The headsets is all I have for my mouse is a Kensington Turbo Mouse from the 90's and doesnt require a driver, my keyboard is a gofreetech mechanical and doesnt require a driver, or had to install a driver for it ever, and my controller for games is a wired xbox one controller that also didnt need a driver to be installed by me.

Maybe a visual will help (very bad artist so forgive me for that).

CPU at truly idle, 0 load. The circles represent the temp sensors on the cpu (although there are way more than that in reality):

1582325863528.png
Here, Ryzen master and other temp sensors should report very similar temps as everything is idle and cool.

Now, you get a very small and transient load that CPUz reports as 1 -3% load. One core on the CPU wakes up and kicks up the voltage to allow for max single core boost to finish the load as soon as possible. This sudden jump in voltage and frequency causes part of that active core to heat very quickly, far far faster than any cpu fan can respond. This causes one of the temp sensors to see a hotspot on the CPU. The hot spot can reach something like 70C in milliseconds (maybe less, not sure).

1582326020188.png
Now Ryzen master says, ok, that's a hotspot but if I look at the average of all the sensors, the CPU is still cool. Other programs say, let's count that hotspot as the actual CPU temperature. The fans kick up to full blast because you have full blast set at 55 C. By the time the fans kick up, the load is probably already gone and the CPU was already starting to cool down so the fans turn off pretty quickly. The CPU that was active goes back to sleep until the next light load, rinse and repeat over and over and over.

No matter what you do with air cooling, this won't change. However, what happens if you change your fan curve to account for this is. . . your fan doesn't kick up high and the CPU cools back down anyway because it was a short transient load. If you get a heavy load, then 2 things happen, the load is spread out over more cores making your air cooling more effective as thermal density decreases, and compounded on that (in a good way) is that the voltage and frequency come down as more cores are loaded so thermal density decreases even more. You get something more like this:

1582326742014.png
So then your air cooler will be able to maintain the same hot spot temp as when you had a light load (more maybe a little higher) but the average temp will be higher. Overall you should still be within the safe range of the CPU as long as the heat sink is seated properly with properly applied thermal paste.

With this, I'm out, best of luck.

Last edited:

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
Wait, let me get this straight. I was told to set it to 65-70c, and I said its stock setting it at 65c for max, and my cpu, as I said is hitting 70c, so how is it a fix when setting it to even 70c will still cause it to max out my fan, or come really close?

I recommended starting your ramp at 70C with a small bump at this point, not maxing it out at this point.

And how is that a fix if Im hitting almost 70 at an idle, what happens when I actually game on it at it hits 90C at that point for the fan is maxed out at 70c?

If your max starts at 70C and games are making you hit 90C, you have a problem with your heatsink, fan, thermal paste, or all of the above. However, I am thinking this statement of yours is speculation as you are assuming you will have much higher temps when gaming versus the light transient load, but this may not be true. See my post above.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Hmm, so you are running 1.0.0.4 (they won't show if it's "patch B" or not, but probably is) AGESA.

Some Gigabyte boards have an F51 BIOS, but F50 should be "new enough".

Instead of worrying about idle temps, what are the temps under sustained load, using Ryzen Master (only) for monitoring? Do they hit above 86C?

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
Wait, let me get this straight. I was told to set it to 65-70c, and I said its stock setting it at 65c for max, and my cpu, as I said is hitting 70c, so how is it a fix when setting it to even 70c will still cause it to max out my fan, or come really close? And how is that a fix if Im hitting almost 70 at an idle, what happens when I actually game on it at it hits 90C at that point for the fan is maxed out at 70c? Whats my fix then?? I dont need to put a bandaid on this, I want to know why it is Im hitting 70c at idle, with 4.4 on the core with NO load, when at no load I should be at 3.8ghz per AMD, and turbo to that under a heavy load? How is this fixing my problem in figuring out im at its max turbo speed and hitting 70c all at an idle? I dont see how changing it to 70c is going to fix my problem at all. I appreciate all the help, I really do, but my 1700x nor my 1600 had any problems at all like this, and I would tend to believe some of the stuff, but your not addressing my facts that Im at a 1% load, at max turbo core, hitting 70c, and setting my fan curve to over 70c to hit max is going to fix my turbo core, and fan from ramping up and down all the time? I just dont see the logic :(
This is new behavior with the 3rd gen Ryzens. Earlier gens didn't have hotspots which are reported as max temperatures spikes across the whole package not reflecting the actual sustained package temperature of the affected area.

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
It's certainly a very interesting change in behavior, and a bit of shock to most of us when we experienced it, but ... I would hesitate to call it a "problem", at this point at least.

If you have the fan maxed out, and you're hitting 90C in gaming, then that could well be a problem.

It's my unsubstantiated (other than anecdotal), unscientific, opinion that these 3000-series CPUs, are best under AIO WC, 240mm or better. Go big or go home.

Edit: There also appears to be a significant variance in terms of silicon lottery variation, and temps and hotspots and things of that nature. Some people get away with the stock cooler, on a 3600, without hitting 90C. And some people (like myself), just couldn't seem to tame the temps.

It was worse with a 1.0.0.2 preliminary AGESA version, things got better after 1.0.0.3 ABBA and 1.0.0.4 patch B.

What AGESA are you running on your rig? (I told you how to find that, using CPU-Z.)

As for AIO WC, I just cannot and wont do that, Im a firm believer that water and electronics do not mix, and at some point will have a pump failure or end up getting a leak destroying what I have. I had 2 of my friends go and watercool their system and each ended up with a leak less then a year in killing off ones motherboard, and the others video card. I cannot afford to take the chance with something like that. I guess my next step is to get what I had on my 1700x which is this:

and to take with a grain of salt, linus tech tips did a temp bench between it and several different water cooling options, and it can out with his test being but one degree hotter then the best water cooling solution he was testing. So at tax time, I will buy it again, and report in if anything has changed at all with this. But Im sure my temps have a lot to do with the fact that its reporting my cpu at its max core under a 1% load, for with it running at max core speed, my temps, imo, is the main cause of this all, and if I was gaming at the 4.4 max core limit, this would be normal, and my fans would be doing this, and I would understand because Im gaming, but we are talking about idle 1% usage, at max cores making it hot af, again imo, and was hoping someone was able to tell me why its at 4.4ghz, as my temp does fluctuate as its going from 4150-4.4. If it was at 3.8 stock at idle, there wouldnt be aproblem, because at 3.8 under bios, its at 40c ;)

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
OK, giving some thought I can see the temp things and it makes perfect sense, and I understand.

My problem again is that its hitting it at 4.4 max core, as if Im running something big time, like a high end game, and I think that really is the reason Im getting the temp jumps and stuff as being said. So Id like to know what to use to go into and find out what Im max turboing at 4.4 at 1% usage, for at stock 3.8ghz in bios it comes down to a very steady 40c, and its jumping all over the place as far as fan and temp as the cpu is going nuts between 4150-4.4ghz, which would cause then the fan going up and down as its trying to figure out where to go being clocked like a bat out of hell as if Im running some stuff that needs it. So please help me find out what it is thats making it run at max core, causing this temp and fan problem Im having, for I can handle it just fine if my pc was doing this is games that needs it to max it cores out, but Im not, so what would be causing it. Im about to go and remove the razer and logitech stuff here in a bit, just to see if that is it as some have mentioned, though not holding my breath, but would love to know after my fresh install and just having steam and orgin installed now and still having the same problem I was having before I redid my windows, and had a lot more crap installed on this.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
OK, giving some thought I can see the temp things and it makes perfect sense, and I understand.

My problem again is that its hitting it at 4.4 max core, as if Im running something big time, like a high end game, and I think that really is the reason Im getting the temp jumps and stuff as being said. So Id like to know what to use to go into and find out what Im max turboing at 4.4 at 1% usage, for at stock 3.8ghz in bios it comes down to a very steady 40c, and its jumping all over the place as far as fan and temp as the cpu is going nuts between 4150-4.4ghz, which would cause then the fan going up and down as its trying to figure out where to go being clocked like a bat out of hell as if Im running some stuff that needs it. So please help me find out what it is thats making it run at max core, causing this temp and fan problem Im having, for I can handle it just fine if my pc was doing this is games that needs it to max it cores out, but Im not, so what would be causing it. Im about to go and remove the razer and logitech stuff here in a bit, just to see if that is it as some have mentioned, though not holding my breath, but would love to know after my fresh install and just having steam and orgin installed now and still having the same problem I was having before I redid my windows, and had a lot more crap installed on this.

Your CPU does not boost to max core under heavy or even moderate loads, only light, single threaded loads and for short periods of time. You will not see 4.4 GHz playing games or with anything using more than 1 core.

Lastly for the frequencies you are talking about, I'll stress again, Ryzen master is the accurate app to use for checking CPU frequency, not anything else (especially when running the Ryzen power plan). The way the new Ryzens handle boosts and core parking is far more complex than anything AMD or intel has put out before and other apps don't know how to track it. A Ryzen core that boosts to max frequency, completes a task, and then immediately goes to a sleep state will still report at (or near) max frequency by other programs even though the core has clocked all the way down to below 2 GHz and is in a sleep state. It's just how the new CPUs work and other apps don't yet know how to handle the behavior so they just keep reporting the last frequency they understood before the CPU went into its sleep state.

Reactions: Steltek and guachi

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
So Id like to know what to use to go into and find out what Im max turboing at 4.4 at 1% usage
On 3rd gen Ryzen anything that uses the CPU will boost it to 4.4 (or whatever is the max) as long as there is enough headroom (and idle means there is plenty headroom). That it only uses 1% means it's a very short spike. As such the temperature is also a short spike.

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
Well I want to thank everyone that tried to help. I wish you didnt talk to me as if Im an ass that didnt listen, but maybe you should listen as well to what I was saying. I decided to ctrl-alt-delete and killed the processes to everything that didnt need to be running. I also then went into start up and killed off stuff that didnt need to start up, one of them I forgot about which was the xbox live pc app, and it took care of it. Im now running under 3.8ghz, and my fan stopped going nuts. So it was that, for the moment I opened the xbox app again, the cpu went back to over 4150ghz, and my temps went right back to getting close to 69c as a max.

But thanks for some of the help here, and thanks for some of you trying to tell me I wasnt listening to any of you for I really liked the love you showed to me in finding out what was causing my problem. So all I have to say to end this, is if ANY of you are having this problem, and you have Xbox live for PC, consider it to maybe be normal, but its not, get rid of it till they update it and try again ;)

Peace out.

Attachments

• PC6.jpg
    PC6.jpg
    584 KB · Views: 11

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
Well I want to thank everyone that tried to help. I wish you didnt talk to me as if Im an ass that didnt listen, but maybe you should listen as well to what I was saying. I decided to ctrl-alt-delete and killed the processes to everything that didnt need to be running. I also then went into start up and killed off stuff that didnt need to start up, one of them I forgot about which was the xbox live pc app, and it took care of it. Im now running under 3.8ghz, and my fan stopped going nuts. So it was that, for the moment I opened the xbox app again, the cpu went back to over 4150ghz, and my temps went right back to getting close to 69c as a max.

But thanks for some of the help here, and thanks for some of you trying to tell me I wasnt listening to any of you for I really liked the love you showed to me in finding out what was causing my problem. So all I have to say to end this, is if ANY of you are having this problem, and you have Xbox live for PC, consider it to maybe be normal, but its not, get rid of it till they update it and try again ;)

Peace out.

Good Deal.....knew it was just a Windows problem.

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005
As for AIO WC, I just cannot and wont do that, Im a firm believer that water and electronics do not mix, and at some point will have a pump failure or end up getting a leak destroying what I have. I had 2 of my friends go and watercool their system and each ended up with a leak less then a year in killing off ones motherboard, and the others video card. I cannot afford to take the chance with something like that. I guess my next step is to get what I had on my 1700x which is this:

and to take with a grain of salt, linus tech tips did a temp bench between it and several different water cooling options, and it can out with his test being but one degree hotter then the best water cooling solution he was testing. So at tax time, I will buy it again, and report in if anything has changed at all with this. But Im sure my temps have a lot to do with the fact that its reporting my cpu at its max core under a 1% load, for with it running at max core speed, my temps, imo, is the main cause of this all, and if I was gaming at the 4.4 max core limit, this would be normal, and my fans would be doing this, and I would understand because Im gaming, but we are talking about idle 1% usage, at max cores making it hot af, again imo, and was hoping someone was able to tell me why its at 4.4ghz, as my temp does fluctuate as its going from 4150-4.4. If it was at 3.8 stock at idle, there wouldnt be aproblem, because at 3.8 under bios, its at 40c ;)

A pump failure won't "destroy what you have". Your system will overheat and it will simply shut down at most. I've been using AIOs and custom loops for years without issue. There is a very low, practically non-existent chance of a leak assuming things are installed correctly. Your computer has a higher chance of having component failure from a power surge than a leak. Furthermore, if there WAS a leak, it doesn't automatically mean your system is going to fry and stop working. If you actually built a custom loop, you'd realize how foolish those thoughts are. It actually takes quite a bit of strength for me to remove a hose from my CPU block, for example. The CPU block itself has little chance of leaking. It's extremely heavy duty. The hoses are thick and can't be damaged by fans, etc.

I suspect that Linus's scaremongering of 'leaks' when he did his water cooling videos have left many users believing that there is a high probability of a leak.

To each their own, however.

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
Peace out.
So you had a piece of software using both lots of memory and lots of CPU cycles, yet managed to stumble upon it only trough brute force. It's kinda ironic really, turns out the people who gave you a hard time on this thread were also giving you too much credit with properly assessing your system.

Keep in mind that remote hardware/software diagnosis can be slow and frustrating for everyone involved. Before you even have a chance to solve the problem, everyone on the thread needs to get on the same page as to the state of the system (hardware statusm, OS status, running drivers&software). Challenging the forum common knowledge (such as Ryzen Master is best to observe Zen 2 CPUs) will only delay the process at best, or it may even derail it completely. You either go with what the forum tells you and see where it leads, or you stop and politely say thank you.

To sum it all up, if anyone is having this kind of problem on a Ryzen 3000 CPU, the first step is not checking what the Xbox live app does, but opening Task Manger and checking resource usage from apps and services, including System Interrupts. Because the next person observing their CPU cooler going nuts may have this problem from some other Windows Update, some specific app, a bad driver, a bad data cable... all kinds of things.

Information is key, and missing something in the early stages of troubleshooting might keep you from fixing your system for days instead of minutes. That why even the best of us use forums and other social platforms, because collective intelligence is one hell of a resource for PC fixing when used properly.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
To sum it all up, if anyone is having this kind of problem on a Ryzen 3000 CPU, the first step is not checking what the Xbox live app does, but opening Task Manger and checking resource usage from apps and services, including System Interrupts. Because the next person observing their CPU cooler going nuts may have this problem from some other Windows Update, some specific app, a bad driver, a bad data cable... all kinds of things.

Another good thing to do is to use something like HWiNFO64 or even a wall power monitor (like a Kill-a-Watt) to see how much power your system is using. Most Matisse CPUs seem to have an idle package power of 28-30W in a lot of circumstances. Anything higher than that and the CPU is probably active.

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
A pump failure won't "destroy what you have". Your system will overheat and it will simply shut down at most. I've been using AIOs and custom loops for years without issue. There is a very low, practically non-existent chance of a leak assuming things are installed correctly. Your computer has a higher chance of having component failure from a power surge than a leak. Furthermore, if there WAS a leak, it doesn't automatically mean your system is going to fry and stop working. If you actually built a custom loop, you'd realize how foolish those thoughts are. It actually takes quite a bit of strength for me to remove a hose from my CPU block, for example. The CPU block itself has little chance of leaking. It's extremely heavy duty. The hoses are thick and can't be damaged by fans, etc.

I suspect that Linus's scaremongering of 'leaks' when he did his water cooling videos have left many users believing that there is a high probability of a leak.

To each their own, however.

Yes it is each to their own, and the video I watched didnt mention about not using water cooling, it was just air vs water using Nactua coolers and they are pretty much neck and neck when it comes to cooling, especially a threadripper, so cooling a AM4 chip should get the same results. Just so you know, this was the video I watched on it few years back, and I happen to have the room for a air cooler. I have just read too many reviews on Amazon, and forums about people getting leaks, or the pump quitting in a year and sometimes less. So for me, and the fact my 2 friend that did go water cooling had problems as well, I just cannot take any chances with it. Granted my mobo has a water pump header, and should turn off my computer if there is a leak, but since the air coolers that were used are just as good, and maybe slightly better, but not by much, Id rather stick with something that comes with a several year warranty, and that I have it set up that Ill get a warning if my fan(s) should quit, and a warning if my temps get too hot. I would of bought this cooler right off the bat, but I didnt have the $90 to put out for one at the time. I will however at tax time, so I will make sure my cpu is going to get as cool as it ever could aside of buying a more expensive water system.

I will try the cinebench asked, in a little bit and leave my results on it, and or, a screen shot as well.

Reactions: scannall

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
I did Cinebench R20, and used the Ryzen master program, and this is what I got. A max temp of 78c, and when finished, came down to around 41c. My cpu fan did max out and held it around 77c-to the max of 78c at the very end and didnt go any higher then what you see for I took the shot right at the very end of the test. I installed the nzxt app back on my pc, but for some reason when the test is running, and I tried it 3 times, all I got the moment the test start was a blank white screen. After the test when I started it again, it showed a normal screen. So Im not sure what was going on with it, and would of liked to see what it said at the same time as the Ryzen program, to compare them all, but I just couldnt. If anyone has another program that I can use to try, Id be happy to do that and see, for Im curious to pit it up against the Ryzen program to see if the numbers are the same, unlike what I get when I run the nzxt or cpuz programs against the Ryzen, for even though I removed the xbox app from my pc, they both still show different numbers. Granted now my pc cpu fan is no longer ramping up and down, the 2 show me at adle at 3700~ ghz, while the Ryzen still says Im at or under 1ghz.

Attachments

• PC7.jpg
    PC7.jpg
    897.2 KB · Views: 5
  • PC8.jpg
    PC8.jpg
    915.1 KB · Views: 5

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
@funboy6942

Your temps seem decent. Try HWiNFO64 if you don't like Ryzen Master or want a second opinion. You can set polling intervals low (I used 4 seconds) if you like.

Last edited:

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
So you had a piece of software using both lots of memory and lots of CPU cycles, yet managed to stumble upon it only trough brute force. It's kinda ironic really, turns out the people who gave you a hard time on this thread were also giving you too much credit with properly assessing your system.

Keep in mind that remote hardware/software diagnosis can be slow and frustrating for everyone involved. Before you even have a chance to solve the problem, everyone on the thread needs to get on the same page as to the state of the system (hardware statusm, OS status, running drivers&software). Challenging the forum common knowledge (such as Ryzen Master is best to observe Zen 2 CPUs) will only delay the process at best, or it may even derail it completely. You either go with what the forum tells you and see where it leads, or you stop and politely say thank you.

Information is key, and missing something in the early stages of troubleshooting might keep you from fixing your system for days instead of minutes. That why even the best of us use forums and other social platforms, because collective intelligence is one hell of a resource for PC fixing when used properly.

I for what ever reason, I am disabled and my brain doesnt work like it used to by a fair margin, didnt think to go into task manager and see what the heck was being used, and totally forgot that when I redid my pc I stuck the xbox app back on for I didnt pin the icon on the bottom bar. It wasnt till I did go into task manager that I saw the xbox app in there, and even then it wasnt using jack crap, not much memory, nor cpu cycles according to task manage, but I went in and shut down all start processes and rebooted my pc to see why at that point did my clocks come down, and my fan stop doing its thing. Then I went through and turned back on my Logitech software, Razer software, Steam, origin, and once I opened back up the xbox app the cores, and temp, spiked again, and my fan started to once again go nuts.

I came in here to ask for help, and it eluded me to do the task manager thing in the first place all along, all I was doing was watching what usage my cpu was doing, and what programs were using it through the nzxt app. I had asked several times for help in knowing why my cpu was core maxing all the time between 4150 and 4.4ghz, for I saw a correlation between its speed, my temps, and the fans ramping up, and all I got is it is normal for this cpu at idle with no processes to max its cores out, and that I needed to just change my fan curve to a higher value, and that my cores, even though had 1% activity on it, is normal for it to max out the cores all the time, which is not what Amd says about its stock and turbo reasoning's, which was driving me nuts, for when the cores went faster, my temps went higher, and my fan went faster, and I mentioned this often. And the fact that when I went into bios, the cores came down, and were stable, and at which point it would stay at a 40c, and fan you couldnt even hear it no more. I am sorry, and feel like an idiot that I forgot to mention I had the xbox app installed to on this fresh system, but not one person here mentioned to go into task manager as well, or I would of be like "duh, thats right why did I miss checking that" and would of been ultra grateful for the help big time, but instead I was being told Im not listening, that its "normal" for my cpu with a 1% usage to max out its cores just be happy with it, when really that didnt make any sense at all as to why a cpu would max its cores out, with nothing really showing is being used of it. Yes maybe a single thread program would cause it, posibly, but then I would assume my usage would spike at well over the 3% usage, if there was something at all making it do this. And for the most part they were half right, because the xbox app was the fault in all of this, and it did not spike the usage at all, which what was making it very hard for me, and why I asked for help, to figure out what the heck was making my cpu and fan do this. And to make matters worse for me, was the Ryzen program showed totally different numbers and heat then the two other ones, and the fact also I kept bringing up was that bios is being reported the faster core count, and temps to max out my stock, and modified fan curves, because at the ryzen temp and speed, my bios shouldnt of been kicking up jack crap at all, and would never of asked for the help in the first place.

But the help I was getting did help, for it triggered my brain at one point to go "oh yeah, task manager, check that and kill off some programs at start, restart the pc, and see what it does then"

For those of you that dont want to believe, again, that I have a mental, and physical problem, below is what I have to take on a daily basis, and for the most part Im a zombie all day long, so I did need the help, and I thank you for the help, just wish someone with their infinite knowledge in telling me Im not listening, and that its "normal" for my cpu to oc right to its max, and that the temps are going up and down with the fan speed thats driving you nuts, would of mentioned right off the bat to remind me about task manager, or this thread never would of gotten this long. And I wish I was working at 100% and would of done it myself, and never would of had to make this thing in the first place. I know I have a ton of grammar problems, and I appreciate those that stick with me and make sense out of the madness I am typing, Im trying my best, and try my best to go back through it before posting to fix what I can see. I hate my life at times :(

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
Ryzen master is the only program I know of that is accurate.
I would like to believe that, but as I sat here and watched nzxt and cpuz's core speed, and the temps on the nzxt app go up and down hitting 69c at a idle, what ever it is reading off of is also what my bios is reading off of, and was causing my cpu fan to spin up and down like crazy, as I watched the temps go up and down, and my max core was going up and down. The ryzen program said at the same time, that though the 2 programs said I was going between 4150 and 4.4ghz, and a temp of 45/48c-65/69c, it said 1ghz speed and around the lower 40c mark. If what ryzen was saying to be accurite what then is my bios and the 2 other programs getting its numbers from? If really at 1ghz, and 40c, then my fan would NEVER ramp up and down, it would be quiet like it is when ever I went into bios and I watched it show it was coming down from a temp at around 50c at that point when botting ito bios, and then held steady at 40c all day long, and my fan never did anything crazy.

So that was driving me nuts, for at the stated ryzen speed and temp, my bios wouldnt be going nuts through its none to max fan curve, for at 40c, it wouldnt even been heard, and I never would of asked for the help cuz it would be quiet till I played a game or something. 2 programs show the same, that one far from it, and my bios is being told what the 2 programs are showing and had my cpu fan going to the max when set to 65c, so something is a miss there in my opinion.

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
And Im not sure if this screen save will help or not, but this is what task manager is reporting now after kicking off the xbox live app, but installed the programs back on it I had before. And still my fan is steady, and I hear it once in a blue moon, but nothing like the crazy crap it was doing that prompted me to make this thread asking for help.

Attachments

• PC9.jpg
    PC9.jpg
    849.6 KB · Views: 8
  • PC10.jpg
    PC10.jpg
    868.6 KB · Views: 7

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
I guess this picture is why Im like wtf with the Ryzen software :p
Also if I was at the 800mhz that the Ryzen software shows, then I wouldnt of been 103% with my Cpu maximum frequency, or am I missing something and read wrong off google as far as what those number represent, because I read if at 800mhz, then the percentage should be around 70-80%?

The 2nd picture is what its pretty much at now with the Xbox Live app no longer running, and all the other testing stuff, just looking at the nzxt numbers, and a vast difference then what I was getting before. Yet Ive seen spikes as high as 4200ghz for a split second, it always comes back down to 3700~ghz, and temps I havent seen spike over 55C yet as well. All the rest of the stuff I had on my pc is back on it and running like it was, aside of just the Xbox Live App, thats the only change I have done to it, and this was the result of it.

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    565.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Ryzen is a fickle piece of technology. If anything requires cpu time, it momentarily kicks the core speed to max, which also causes the heat to momentarily spike, the bios reacts immediately to the temp change causing fan speed to jump all over, at least on x470 boards and below. This may not be the case on the 500 series boards as I don't have one to confirm. Due to this, you typically have to adjust the delay time for the fans to react to the temp change, or at least that is the case with the crosshair VII Hero. Just something for you to keep in the back of your head all though you believe the xbox crap was causing it.

You also need to raise your full fan speed to minimum of cpu temp of 70C, bit 75C would be best as max temp is 85C.. no reason to go as low as 65C or even the 55C.

thesmokingman

Platinum Member
May 6, 2010
I would like to believe that...

You keep ignoring instructions and facts. Hell I posted the definition of the observer effect direct from AMD. And then I linked how to set up monitoring software that DOES NOT cause the observer effect, yet this thread is still going. Also, you have hw acceleration issues that you misdiagnosed to be part of this issue. HW accel from apps btw is the same issue regardless of gpu, can NV or AMD. I check on this thread and here you are again with this pos CAM software. Pro tip, the reason your gear reacts to the core spikes is because you are monitoring the wrong sensor. This is to do with discrete clocks vs effective clock. I'd link the relative info but you'll probably ignore that too, sighs.

Status
Not open for further replies.