Question Ryzen fan speed and cooling

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
Im not sure whats going on here. I redid my pc thinking there was a program running causing it to run all the time maxed out. I installed all the latest drivers for the chipset from AMD, I have the latest driver for my RX 580, and Im not over clocking a thing, all set to stock in bios, and unless Im in bios, it runs ultra fast all the time and never comes down. If Im in bios my cpu fan is quiet, runs at a solid 40c the entire time Im in bios according to it. But once windows is loaded all get out goes nuts, and even after its all booted up, and processes show 1-3 being used, and ram is at 18-23% being used of 32GB, its just chugging away. My temps in the case is at 36 degrees but Im getting tired of hearing the fan go up and down up and down as the cpu is going insane from 45 to 70 degrees bouncing all over the place. I redid my thermal paste twice, once with Arctic Ceramic based pasted, and this time with Arctic MX-4 with no change at all in results. And yes I know how to apply the paste and done correctly for I been building computers for well over 20 years and never messed one up ;)

So what may be your thoughts as far as why its not coming down to stock MHZ at all with absolutely nothing really running, or being used, or things running in the background? I can stop my cpu fan from bouncing its rpm all over the place by just making it go full power in the bios, but then I have to hear my pc be all loud and stuff, and I dont really want that as it sits only 2-3 feet away from me.

My pc is:
Patriot Viper ram 2400mhz 32gb
AMD RX 580 4g
AMD 3600X
gigabyte x470 aorus ultra gaming
Was using a Thermaltake CPU cooler and it was going up and down with the rpm's, so I bought a Stock AMD RGB Spire cooler for it with the same results with rps and heat bouncing too
NZXT H510 case with 4 fans
Corsair X1000 1000 watt modular psu, that shows good steady volts at rated power for the 3.3/5/12v

And thats it, nothing crazy, and ultra cool inside with all the fans in it with 2 fans pulling air, and 2 fans pushing it.

So I am eager to hear what you have to say so I can try it :D

Attachments

• PC.jpg
    PC.jpg
    603.7 KB · Views: 19

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I guess this picture is why Im like wtf with the Ryzen software :p
Also if I was at the 800mhz that the Ryzen software shows, then I wouldnt of been 103% with my Cpu maximum frequency, or am I missing something and read wrong off google as far as what those number represent, because I read if at 800mhz, then the percentage should be around 70-80%?

The 2nd picture is what its pretty much at now with the Xbox Live app no longer running, and all the other testing stuff, just looking at the nzxt numbers, and a vast difference then what I was getting before. Yet Ive seen spikes as high as 4200ghz for a split second, it always comes back down to 3700~ghz, and temps I havent seen spike over 55C yet as well. All the rest of the stuff I had on my pc is back on it and running like it was, aside of just the Xbox Live App, thats the only change I have done to it, and this was the result of it.

The clocks shown in Ryzen Master are probably the real clock at that moment in time. Many apps are too slow to keep up with Ryzens clock changes which can happen in a ns.

I'm guessing you won't believe this one from my son's 3600 I just happened to snap at a weird moment in time.

1582409093317.png

Usually it'll look more like this when idling and doing very little.

1582409197274.png

Most monitoring apps won't show the current true clocks of the cores as they'll show the last boost clocks just before the core goes into it's sleep state.

HWiNFO64 will show the effective clocks of the cores which in reality is closer to what they're actually running at.

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
Sorry for the late reply, i ended up in the er last night, and no way to reply. but i took alls suggestions told, and do now have an understanding, for it took me several rereads of all of this, and because of my disability, it took many reads to get a grip. i have changed my fan curve to a slow interval and also bumped my temp to max at 78c since taking the advice of trying cinebench and say it maxed out at 78c. im very sorry it took me a little for it to sink in, and the problems and confusion it caused for some of you. i thank you for all the help, and have it right thanks to all of you and what was wrote, and thank you even more for ur time and patience with me. sorry for the grammar, i lost the use of my right hand and am now only ablel to type with one hand. i wont be replying for a while because of this unless i just must have to, or until i get my mri and fix whats wrong with my right arm after monday. thanks again, jay

Reactions: DAPUNISHER
Status
Not open for further replies.