Ryzen build ram and ssd help

alidan

Apr 13, 2017
Ok, got a taichi ordered, once I know its shipped im buying the rest of the build. This is a bit last minute I know but I'm looking for some help.

Im thinking of getting this ram
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C14D-32GTZ

32gb is a requirement for me, as I'm currently using 93% of 16gb and I cant open any game that is demanding because of stuttering that will occur when it hits the ram limit, shadows warrior 2 was unplayable for me unless I was freshly booted, and going to 32gb of ram seems to be the happy medium between stupidly high ram prices and general ram incompatibility at the moment.

I may keep this ram and be done with it, I may take it out and put in better in 9 or so months, not sure, but even at 2133mhz id likely be happy with performance jump to it.

Anyone know of better ram or cheaper ram that is 3200 or there around?

On to ssds, im sticking to windows 7, so installing on an nvme is something that would be a pain to do, but i'm not opposed to learning how. I was looking at a 600p earlier, till I saw benches that showed a Crucial MX300 out preforming it in many metrics, that with nvme appears to be bottlenecked elsewhere then speed in nearly all applications, im thinking of holding off on nvme till after craps sorted and also prices come down/possibly till they can be 2tb instead of one.

So where i'm stuck in my thinking is this. unless nvme comes down in price or a ssd comes out that has stupid amounts of storage for very little cost, ill likely stick with the ssd I get long haul, now my concern with size is games are currently starting to eat 100gb or there around, I have a 4tb drive for games, most games won't be on the ssd, just the few that I am either actively playing, go back to time and time again, or ones that really benefit from the load times. I currently have a 120gb intel drive that is likely slower then hdds at this point is sustain read if my boot is anything to gauge that by, its nearly full, but im also not sure I could really install much more on it if I tried, so i'm looking at 256 gb as a minimum, 512 as a low point and 1tb or there around as what I want. However, a ssd that saturates sata more often then not is something I would like, so i'm at a bit of a loss as to what to get. Also with nvme, I really only know samsung or intel for the price, I cant really fine any other drives that are nvme and not just sata on m.2 and when I do like the intel drive, it performs worse then the sata drive for some reason.

any thoughts to talk me through this? Id rather spend less money if possible but not apposed to a bit more if it gets me far more performance.

as for hdds, there is nothing to mention, Getting an 8tb and because my current two 4tb 5200 drives have served me well, and the purpose of the 8tb drive, there isn't much to talk about.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
If you are using most of 16GB of RAM without opening a game, something else is wrong. Probably malware/lots of programs running in background. As for NVMe, if you really need to stick with windows 7, you may want to consider the Samsung 960 series. The intel ones are not very good. Corsair MP500 is also very good, but I am not sure if they have good Windows 7 NVMe drivers.

Also, if you could use Windows 10, or get them working with Windows 7, consider the Plextor and OCZ drives as well. Remember if you use Windows 7, you need Pro version or higher to support more than 16 GB of RAM. Home only supports up to 16 GB.

alidan

Apr 13, 2017
Ok, thinking about it a bit, i'm leaning toward the nvme samsung 960 evo 500gb
My main thought on it is I currently have a 120gb drive, using it just as boot, I can't imagine using more then 150gb. Then using it as a game game drive on the side, I have 350gb to play with likely smoosh that down to 300 so I have a 50gb buffer just in case.

My original plan was to get the 1tb version of the crucial ssd, and ride it out with games on it along with program boot, then possibly move to an nvme once they came down in price significantly, as it seems that someone owning a patent/process for stacked dies, potentially better then samsung got sick of waiting for their original partner to get their shit together so they opened it up to anyone, competition + that patent being out there, I am full anticipating ssd sizes to dramatically increase for price within a yearish. However thinking of it now, I could fit all my actively played games on the ssd fairly easily, once beaten move them back to the hdd, and swap games like that. so would I really need 800~ gb for that? or would I be good on 300?

I mean currently I have a 4tb 5200rpm drive dedicated to game hosting, and I have very little issue with that so even if the game doesnt fit on the nvme, I still have the space.

That said are there any videos on the full process for installing win 7 on an nvme? I was going to burn a disc image of it but honestly, when looking for a video on it, I found this
http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=4248&title=install-windows-7-on-960-evo
The last post there was a gigabyte toll injecting usb3 and nvme support into boot drive for the windows install... Have to admit, this is a bit of a tempting option as it should get everything done for me.

Do you happen to know if there is anything I have to do after the install processes extra with an nvme drive or am I pretty much good to go once done?

As for windows, I have a copy of ultimate waiting for the new computer.

rdelaporte

Apr 14, 2017
The best ran for ryzen right now is the flare x. I have the same ram you looking to get rated at 3200 but even with loose timings and more voltage and any tweaks I could think of I can only get 2400. Then again in ands qvl there is no ram rated over 2666 but people with the flare x say they simply use the xmp profile and it works at 3200. It's the only ran that days made for ryzen right on it.

(Spam deleted)

Last edited by a moderator:

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
I have the FlareX DDR4-3200 with an Asus C6H mb and a 1800x and it is OUTSTANDING ram (not cheap though)

alidan

Apr 13, 2017
The best ran for ryzen right now is the flare x. I have the same ram you looking to get rated at 3200 but even with loose timings and more voltage and any tweaks I could think of I can only get 2400. Then again in ands qvl there is no ram rated over 2666 but people with the flare x say they simply use the xmp profile and it works at 3200. It's the only ran that days made for ryzen right on it.

(Spam deleted)

know anything about

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...20232520&cm_re=flare_x-_-20-232-520-_-Product

is it just 2400 ram or will that go higher just setting the mhz higher?
Honestly considering it because it's cheaper, was made with ryzen in mind and worse come to worse, the other more expensive ram may never really be fully compatible and stuck in the mid 2000~'s and if I don't have to pay for that speed right out the gate and hope, but get a far more reasonably priced kit so when/if I end up replacing it when the prices come down, it's a bit less painful.

on that note, anyone know where there are some benchmarks with 2400 that are more recent apposed to day 1 reviews? I would like to see what worst case scenario looks like for this ram.

rdelaporte

Apr 14, 2017
G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) AMD X370 / B350 Memory (Desktop Memory) Model F4-3200C14D-16GFX

(Spam deleted)

rdelaporte

Apr 14, 2017
Sorry about the other. I didn't see it was 2400. The flare x 3200 is what I meant to post

(Spam deleted)

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
If you must have 32GB of RAM, the kit you've picked seems like a winner. It's probably Samsung B-die in dual rank configuration. I can't promise you you'll hit DDR4-3200 with it, though . . . at least not without some bclk OC.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I thought MS blocked windows updates for ryzen and KL? so op i think you have to go win 10.