Question ryzen 7 2600 and support for windows 7?

Jul 22, 2013
I dont see myself moving to w10 anytime soon. if I can, I wont ever move over. if I could, I would have stayed with xp, but no support for memory and ssd cleaning, I had no choice to move to w7

but looking to upgrade my 8320fx to ryzen 7 and doing my first research I come acroos the fact that you cant run w7 with ryzen7?

why? is there no workaround that allows it to function correctly?

Charlie22911

Mar 19, 2005
This will be an unpopular response, but I’ve got to be honest with you... if you are so averse to windows 10 that you’d be willing to jump through the kind of hoops you’d have to to get it to work, you may as well go ahead and install a well supported Linux distro such as Ubuntu or one of its flavors.
You’ll be more secure, and you can run most any game or application as you could in windows. Even with better performance in some cases.

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012
I dont see myself moving to w10 anytime soon. if I can, I wont ever move over. if I could, I would have stayed with xp, but no support for memory and ssd cleaning, I had no choice to move to w7

but looking to upgrade my 8320fx to ryzen 7 and doing my first research I come acroos the fact that you cant run w7 with ryzen7?

Nothing I would call reliable, for either new Intel or AMD CPU's. You can hack it in, but it just isn't all that reliable. Just get Windows 10, you're going to have to at some point anyway.

Feb 6, 2017

Windows 7 is not supported by new CPUs, but it may work normaly or not. only two workarounds that work 100% go for Linux OS or embrace WIN10

Nov 7, 2018
This will be an unpopular response, but I’ve got to be honest with you... if you are so averse to windows 10 that you’d be willing to jump through the kind of hoops you’d have to to get it to work, you may as well go ahead and install a well supported Linux distro such as Ubuntu or one of its flavors.
You’ll be more secure, and you can run most any game or application as you could in windows. Even with better performance in some cases.
While i was running Windows 7, and because i had applied to Win 10 preview, the OS was constantly "bothering" me to "upgrade" to Win 10: didn't want to let my OS install it and, even though automatic updates was on "notification only", i caught my PC attempting to upgrade to Win 10 by itself. Back then, i was using an APU 7850K to which i added a RX480 GPU, a couple of months after Polaris was launched (before the mining craze).

When i bought a Ryzen system, i was unable to install Win 7 so i went and stopped using Windows, permanently: Micro$oft doesn't get a say in what OS i use in MY PC.

I switched to Ubuntu and had quite a bit of trouble in the 1st few months because, before the switch, i had ZERO experience with Linux. I handle it much better now and don't "need to re-install" every couple of days (sometimes even more) to fix something i broke: in fact, the last time i re-installed Ubuntu was over 6 months ago. Still a newbie as far as Linux is concerned, but not nearly as much as just after the switch to Ryzen system.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
When i bought a Ryzen system, i was unable to install Win 7 so i went and stopped using Windows, permanently: Micro$oft doesn't get a say in what OS i use in MY PC.

I switched to Ubuntu and had quite a bit of trouble in the 1st few months because, before the switch, i had ZERO experience with Linux. I handle it much better now and don't "need to re-install" every couple of days (sometimes even more) to fix something i broke: in fact, the last time i re-installed Ubuntu was over 6 months ago. Still a newbie as far as Linux is concerned, but not nearly as much as just after the switch to Ryzen system.
It is not unusual for new users to Linux to reinstall multiple times to get the hang of it. That is part of the learning curve.

Feb 6, 2017
I kinda do not understand all hate for WIN10 mine is 1year without reinstall and still working great. As for security where do you have guarantee WIN 7/8 and Linux are safer and do not spy on you?

chrisjames61

Dec 31, 2013

I wholeheartedly second this.

chrisjames61

Dec 31, 2013
I kinda do not understand all hate for WIN10 mine is 1year without reinstall and still working great. As for security where do you have guarantee WIN 7/8 and Linux are safer and do not spy on you?

Linux spying on you?

Nov 7, 2018
Never had i had an OS trying to upgrade itself, even though updates were specifically not automatic. @ the time, i hesitated to install Win 10 because of all those telemetry crap issues and, shortly after i opted out, i caught my PC just after IT started the Win 10 upgrade program, ON IT'S OWN.
Later, Win 7 began getting "afflicted" with the same telemetry crap but, by then, i had already switched to Ubuntu.
Had i succeeded in Win 7 install with Ryzen, i probably would have continued with it to this day. I didn't, so i removed Win 7 from my system.
Problem solved.

chrisjames61

Dec 31, 2013
did not say it does, but it could there is no guarantee on this so many things on internet can spy on you and are more annoying

Linux code is open and freely inspectable so this happening is very unlikely.

Feb 6, 2017
Linux code is open and freely inspectable so this happening is very unlikely.
so its possible and not all people know how too spot spyware or read codes.

Look im not saying Linux is bad in any way its just this privacy paranoia with WIN10 that is bothering me.

chrisjames61

Dec 31, 2013

Look im not saying Linux is bad in any way its just this privacy paranoia with WIN10 that is bothering me.

For good reason. It isn't paranoia. Windows 10 is chock full or telemytry and it is on by default. As far as Linux goes you don't have to be a software engineer. The code is constantly under review by developers and hobbyists and the likes.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016

Try reading the Windows 10 EULA.

Nov 7, 2018
@ OP: sorry for the slight derailment. As for your question, it's quite possible but i was unable to do it: after what i mentioned in my 1st reply happened, i didn't try again.

Jul 22, 2013
all right guys. thank you. I didnt get an answer to what I was asking and of course everyone has to put their own suggestion which is not what im looking to do.

1 im not installing that pos w10. I dont care for it, so please dont bring it up.
and 2, I have no idea about linux and editing pictures and videos, im not about to take this massive jump of a learning curve and compatibility. it just doesnt interest me because now to learn a new os is going to be massive. to those who use, it seems like no big deal. it wont be for me. I had a hard time moving to w7 from xp.

kindly answer what I was asking. is there a workaround for w7? im looking for something specific and im getting everything besides what im asking about.
I thought theered be folks who went through the whole ordeal but Im going to go google and get my answers there I see

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11182/how-to-get-ryzen-working-on-windows-7-x64

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
all right guys. thank you. I didnt get an answer to what I was asking and of course everyone has to put their own suggestion which is not what im looking to do.

1 im not installing that pos w10. I dont care for it, so please dont bring it up.
and 2, I have no idea about linux and editing pictures and videos, im not about to take this massive jump of a learning curve and compatibility. it just doesnt interest me because now to learn a new os is going to be massive. to those who use, it seems like no big deal. it wont be for me. I had a hard time moving to w7 from xp.

kindly answer what I was asking. is there a workaround for w7? im looking for something specific and im getting everything besides what im asking about.
I thought theered be folks who went through the whole ordeal but Im going to go google and get my answers there I see

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11182/how-to-get-ryzen-working-on-windows-7-x64
I would check to see the manufacturer has Windows 7 support for your board, then go from there.

I know you don't want to hear this, but at some point you are going to have to decide wither or not to move to Windows 10 or choose Linux instead. Right now you can install Windows versions of Linux applications and use them on Windows 7. GIMP for photo editing, and Kdenlive for video for example.

Aug 25, 2001
I just installed Win7 Pro 64-bit SP1 on my Ryzen R5 1600, on a Gigabyte AX370-Gaming ATX mobo, using a Windows 7 Pro 64-bit SP1 ISO file, and Gigabyte "Windows USB Installer" on that board's page, for Windows 7. It injects the USB3.0 XHCI and MS NVMe drivers into the image. (The OS drive was an HP EX920 512GB NVMe M.2 SSD.)

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I just installed Win7 Pro 64-bit SP1 on my Ryzen R5 1600, on a Gigabyte AX370-Gaming ATX mobo, using a Windows 7 Pro 64-bit SP1 ISO file, and Gigabyte "Windows USB Installer" on that board's page, for Windows 7. It injects the USB3.0 XHCI and MS NVMe drivers into the image. (The OS drive was an HP EX920 512GB NVMe M.2 SSD.)
How well does that work out? Any issue with using Win7 doing that?

Aug 25, 2001
It works pretty well. This is with a dGPU (Ryzen CPU, not APU), and 1st-gen Ryzen CPU, and 1st-gen Ryzen AM4 chipset. I also looked specifically for driver support on Gigabyte's site for this board and Windows 7 64-bit, and they did not disappoint.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
It works pretty well. This is with a dGPU (Ryzen CPU, not APU), and 1st-gen Ryzen CPU, and 1st-gen Ryzen AM4 chipset. I also looked specifically for driver support on Gigabyte's site for this board and Windows 7 64-bit, and they did not disappoint.
Well then it looks like that the OP should just buy a Gigabyte board and be done with it.

Jul 22, 2013
Well then it looks like that the OP should just buy a Gigabyte board and be done with it.

Yes, I do like gigabyte MB. ive bought asus msi and asrock in the past, but have always just had good experiences with GB.
I will say 1 thing. after installing w7. I have yet to install 1 single windows security update and I have no spyware virus apps as well. theyve only just slowed down my pc.

@whm1974 im a professional photographer looking to start doing full time video edits as well. I no longer use adobe software. I use acdsee pro and affinity, but for video, I havent decided what Ill work with. im not going to pay for subscription fees anymore. gimp though while a good free option doesnt offer much for me specifically.

why though would I eventually need to go with w10 or linux? will it be because ms forces mfr to stop support for certain hardware?

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2013
OP i hope you are not planing to use RTX graphic card
I currently have a gtx660. im looking to upgrade to a ati 580. id like to support amd as much as I can. if amd goes, prices will be way too high with nvidia and intel

out of curiosity, what will it affect to use an rtx card?