Ryzen 5 1600 Instability

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
When correcting people is sadly a good portion of your day at work, sometimes you forget to turn that off when on the internet. Especially when you're on the internet at work.
No, I'm thankful, when I've left out something important, or made a mistake or an assumption, to hear experience talking.

That's one reason why I like to get "down and dirty" with new CPU platforms (and OC them, if possible), to gain experience. (Which is also why I defer to you and dave on servers.)

Burak Canik

Oct 26, 2017
The D after C14 means 2 sticks (total 16GB) A Q is quad (4 sticks).
Yeah I also got confirmation from GSkill via e-mail that individual DIMMs' model numbers and whole kit's model number are different and it's normal. So my RAM is on MSI's QVL list. And I've been using it for a while now @ 3200 MHz CL14 and it's been running fine, passed all tests etc.

While this is true, the stock cooler is 95W, and the CPU 65W, so there is headroom to OC on the stock cooler. I've got two of my R5 1600 rigs @ 3.80Ghz, one is under 120mm water AIO (MasterLiquid Lite, it was like $40 for an AIO, LOL), and the other (with better case airflow) on the stock cooler, also at 3.80Ghz.

If I were doing OCCT 24/7, basically, any serious DC work, then yes, you NEED a better cooler, or a 240mm or better AIO WC. In fact, I tried running the WC R5 1600 doing DC for a few days @ 3.80Ghz, and it was getting too hot (85C). So I backed it off to stock.

So, in short, if you are running REALLY HEAVY loads on the CPU, and want to OC, then yes, you NEED a better cooler.

If you are running lighter loads, and want to OC (gaming), then you can use the stock cooler, up to around 1.350V / 3.80Ghz.
Matches what I was thinking. 3.7-3.8 GHz with atmost 1.35 volts would be perfect for me because I'm not putting CONSTANT load on the CPU and I'm doing it for fun as I won't really see the additional 200mhz's effect on gaming/compiling. I'm compiling Unity and Unreal Projects sometimes (not big projects though, longest compile time is 2 minutes tops) and gaming frequently with latest titles (allthough never seen cpu temps go higher than 65 C). OCCT or Prime95 are putting unrealistic (by my usage I mean) loads on the CPU.

Burak Canik

Oct 26, 2017
You can't be serious right? You're expecting to overclock on a stock cooler? Get a better cooler, and watch your stability increase.
People did it, it's a matter of luck. No one's saying that it's normal to OC with stock cooler. I'm just saying that (and provided a link) it is possible. My next course of action will be getting a good air cooler and try to OC with that. But seeing as people do it with ridiculously low voltages and the stock cooler, I can safely say that I did not win the silicon lottery. Did I lose it ? We'll see I'm kind of hopeful with my latest tests.

It is stable (I guess) @ 3.6 GHz 1.2250 Volts, did a 10.5 hour prime95 test, max temp: 82C. I steadily increased voltage (by 0.125 Volts each time as the mobo permits) and finally @ 3.7 GHz 1.2875 volts, 10 consecutive runs of Cinebench successfully completed, max temp of 80.5 C. But when I left prime95 running, CoreTemp auto shut-down at 85C, 7 minutes into testing. So it's safe to say that with this particular chip, I'll need a good air cooler.

Burak Canik

Oct 26, 2017
OP, since you have RAM stability issues, I will make the following recommendations:

1). Try up to 1.42v vDIMM
2). Try up to 1.1v SoC voltage
3). Also maybe try raising vcore a little bit

All three can contribute to RAM stability. Anything else more intensive than that will require you to mess with subtimings I think. Not sure what's exposed on the Tomahawk though.
Solid recommendations and I was going to apply them but I think it's working fine right now @3200 MHz CL14. I don't know why it didn't before honestly. Maybe it was because I OC'd from Memory Try It before and I'm using XMP Profile 2 right now (not that this explanation makes sense :))

PhonakV30

Oct 26, 2009
so Your Max stable OC Is 3.85Ghz ? weird.. Mine is 1600X and I was able to reach 4Ghz at crazy voltage.right now at 3.95@1.3875v , DDR4 2933 16-18-18-18-36-54@1.2v( stock voltage!) , Between 3.95ghz and 4ghz, there is mountain ! I'm just saying.I can't give high voltage to get 4Ghz.

Burak Canik

Oct 26, 2017
So since I have at least 4 knowlegdeable people here, I want to know if I understand the whole cooling process here:
My case has 2 intake fans at the front, 1 exahust fan at the back. So the air flow direction is from the front to the back.
On the cpu side of things, cpu die produces heat which is then drawn by the heatsprader into the heatsink and heatsink dissipates heat radially (so front, back, top and bottom) .The fan on the cooler also takes in air from the case wall side (not wall but transparent glass side in my case) to also help cool the heatsink down.
Is this true so far ? If so, isn't taking in air perpendicular to the airflow of the case absurd ? Is this the fundemental reason why a custom cooler performs better ? I'm guessing heatsink part also plays a big (maybe the biggest) role here. Most custom coolers I saw take in air from the front side and blow the hot air to the back side. With the stock cooler's configuration, it literally disrupts the air flow around the cpu.

PhonakV30

Oct 26, 2009
I read somewhere that a reviewer website Tested various position of Cooling Process but I can't find it.

Burak Canik

Oct 26, 2017
so Your Max stable OC Is 3.85Ghz ? weird.. Mine is 1600X and I was able to reach 4Ghz at crazy voltage.right now at 3.95@1.3875v , DDR4 2933 16-18-18-18-36-54@1.2v( stock voltage!) , Between 3.95ghz and 4ghz, there is mountain ! I'm just saying.I can't give high voltage to get 4Ghz.
I thought the 1600X boosted to 4.0 GHz on stock settings ? Allthough I think that is single core boost clock. So your 4.0 GHz OC means all cores right ?

PhonakV30

Oct 26, 2009
My CPU can boost to 4.1Ghz(Auto settings) on 1 core but when I check HWINFO , It reports 1.51v o_O , so I had to set OC at 3.95Ghz on all Cores but at low voltage.around 1.3875v

Burak Canik

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah left on auto, core voltage frequently dips into 1.4 Volts region on mine too. Even if you don't want to OC, I think it's wise to enter a manual vcore value on BIOS.

Burak Canik

Oct 26, 2017
Did u solve the problem? I have almost same specs and the same problem with BSOD's!!!
I didn't have any more BSODs. If that's what you're asking. I think It was Win 10 update causing that BSOD. My CPU is not OC'd and running on stock clock though.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
If you're getting BSOD's, make sure your soc voltage is at 1.1v or close.

A lot of bios's after updates reset them to 0.9 and that was causing a ton of bsod's.