Ryan publicly denounces stimulus...Then privately requests it to create green jobs...

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
And here I thought the stimulus couldn't create jobs - I find it funny that Ryan has a sudden about face when the money starts flowing his way......

Ryan requesting stimulus money to create thousands of green jobs: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...-wsj#project=RYANSTIM&articleTabs=interactive

Republican vice presidential nominee Paul Ryan told Cincinnati's WCPO today that he "never" requested stimulus funds for his Wisconsin district in 2009.
The problem: That blatantly contradicts a report from The Boston Globe that says Ryan wrote at least four letters to Secretary of Energy Steven Chu for a "pair of Wisconsin conservation groups."

"I never asked for stimulus money," Ryan said today, somewhat taken aback by the question. "I don't recall. I haven't seen this report, so I really can't comment on it."

The Wall Street Journal published the four letters he wrote to Chu on Tuesday. The Globe detailed one of them, dated December 18, 2009, that advocated allocating funds to the Wisconsin Energy Conservation Corporation.

“I was pleased that the primary objectives of their project will allow residents and businesses in the partner cities to reduce their energy costs, reduce greenhouse gas emissions, and stimulate the local economy by creating new jobs."

Both of the conservation groups were awarded funding in President Barack Obama's $787 billion 2009 stimulus, which Ryan frequently charges as a "wasteful spending spree."

"I oppose the stimulus because it doesn't work. It didn't work," Ryan said today.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/paul...ma-vote-money-letter-cho-2012-8#ixzz23lXZto5Y

Last edited:

etrigan420

Golden Member
Oct 30, 2007
This is the part where our esteemed right leaning members come in here and try to convince us that bitching about the government giving handouts...while *taking* those same handouts...is not hypocritical.

With a straight face.

...and then we point at them and laugh. :\

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
should be interesting...

tumblr_lxjm4n4umw1rn1xxfo1_400.gif

tumblr_lols30rUm71qeiwtao1_500.gif

Popcorn-09-Psych.gif

Jimmy_bieber_Popcorn_cu-thumb-350x197-14878.gif

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Putting a big pot of money on the table in front of Congress for pet projects is like dropping a wedge of Gouda on the floor in a room full of hungry rats, they psychically can't resist. Regardless of where it came from.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
I can actually see an argument that bitching about the handouts while taking some may not be hypocritical in some scenario. It's debatable. What isn't debatable is the hypocrisy of claiming that a piece of legislation has created "no jobs" then asking for money out of it to create jobs in your district. It's more than hypocrisy, actually. It's just dishonest.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
I can actually see an argument that bitching about the handouts while taking some may not be hypocritical in some scenario. It's debatable. What isn't debatable is the hypocrisy of claiming that a piece of legislation has created "no jobs" then asking for money out of it to create jobs in your district. It's more than hypocrisy, actually. It's just dishonest.

Welcome to the "new" right wing. I honestly don't know if I could ever trust these guys again.

Herr Kutz

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
I find this somewhat similar to the welfare democrats denouncing the rich while relying on them to fund all their handouts and various other harebrained schemes.

jackschmittusa

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
Herr Kutz

"democrats denouncing the rich"

Do you mean denouncing the actions of the rich when they act like crooks and thieves? When they try to buy elections? When greed outweighs anything else on the balance sheet including health and safety?

Ready to end the "handouts" and fight in the streets when they come for your food to feed their hungry kids? Ready to become homeless if you ever lose your job, then fight for food for your kids?

the DRIZZLE

Platinum Member
Sep 6, 2007
So I guess that I can't oppose the mortgage interest tax deduction because I take it myself since that makes me a hypocrite?

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
So I guess that I can't oppose the mortgage interest tax deduction because I take it myself since that makes me a hypocrite?

Not really the same thing as what Ryan did. He opposed the Democratic stimulus plan, supported the Republican one, and was generally opposed to stimulus because it's of dubious effectiveness, but that didn't stop him from seeking stimulus money for his district.

the DRIZZLE

Platinum Member
Sep 6, 2007
Not really the same thing as what Ryan did. He opposed the Democratic stimulus plan, supported the Republican one, and was generally opposed to stimulus because it's of dubious effectiveness, but that didn't stop him from seeking stimulus money for his district.

Eh I see it as the same thing. Based on rational expectations theory, Federal stimulus could indeed create jobs in some districts while creating no net jobs nationally in the long run.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
Eh I see it as the same thing. Based on rational expectations theory, Federal stimulus could indeed create jobs in some districts while creating no net jobs nationally in the long run.

Almost every member of congress believes federal stimulus will create jobs in their own district. Most of them are mistaken in that belief, but that doesn't stop them from bringing home the pork.

It is also the height of idiocy to believe that only your party's stimulus ideas will work. The reality is that some work, but most don't.. regardless of party.

Last edited:

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
I find this somewhat similar to the welfare democrats denouncing the rich while relying on them to fund all their handouts and various other harebrained schemes.

There's no similarity at all. In fact, the position of the Dems is completely consistent.

The Dems don't "denounce the rich." They denounce the fact that the tax rate of the rich is too low. And since, as you say, the [taxes paid by the] rich are being relied on to help fund various social programs advocated by the Dems, it's completely consistent to want the rich to pay higher taxes (and thus provide more funds).

Actually, your argument is completely retarded.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
I find it funny that Ryan has a sudden about face when the money starts flowing his way

I honestly don't really have a problem with him doing this. You fight for what your platform is but your responsibility is to do what is best for your constituents. Maybe the best option failed and a law passed that isn't the best for them. You still need to work within the new existing legislative framework to do what is the next best for them. Even if you didn't want that pile of money to be there someone will take it so you might as well get some of it to better your state and your voters

There was some quote by a politician that I actually agree with. It was something along the lines of:
I'll fight like hell against this but if it passes I'll fight like hell to make sure it uses (my state's product)

I probably butchered it which is why my google fu can't find it

It seems to me its more of taking the money and then saying it was wasteful. I went through several of the links to links to other links that contained links to other parts of the story but didn't see anywhere whether it did actually create any jobs or not for him. (I didn't see anywhere where he said it created "no jobs" either) Perhaps he found out that the money he got didn't actually create any jobs? Or - perhaps more likely - it didn't create enough jobs for him to consider it not wasteful

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
It's hilarious to me that some here are shocked by this. A two-faced politician!?!? Shocking! SHOCKING!!!

There was some quote by a politician that I actually agree with. It was something along the lines of:
I'll fight like hell against this but if it passes I'll fight like hell to make sure it uses (my state's product)

I probably butchered it which is why my google fu can't find it

You may be thinking of former Sen. of NY Alphonso D'Amato, famous for his ways with the pork. He once said (paraphrasing) "I'll fight like hell against a proposal to put cheese on the moon, but if it passes, I'll fight like hell to make sure it's NY cheese we're sending up there."

sunzt

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 2003
“I’m not one [of those] people who votes for something then writes to the government to ask them to send us money. I did not request any stimulus money,” the congressman answered.

then..

In 2009, Ryan wrote to Energy Secretary Steven Chu and Labor Secretary Hilda Solis asking for stimulus money to cover costs on two energy conservation projects in his home state of Wisconsin. In the letter, Ryan said the funds would help create jobs and reduce “energy consumption” in the state. At least one of the companies received the requested cash.

Ryan: "STIMULUS Creates NO JOBS AND IS HORRIBLE!! ARRRGGHH!!

Ps: "Thanks for the STIMULUS $ for creating jobs in Wisc, I fully support it!"

Last edited:

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
You may be thinking of former Sen. of NY Alphonso D'Amato, famous for his ways with the pork. He once said (paraphrasing) "I'll fight like hell against a proposal to put cheese on the moon, but if it passes, I'll fight like hell to make sure it's NY cheese we're sending up there."

Thats it - thanks! (I was pretty sure it had to do with cheese but I was thinking it was Wisconsin cheese)

Yeah - thats bad