Russians circle Guam

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
Granted, I'm not a news junkie nor am I making an astute observation of the story, but I'm not the only one who misread the title of that newspaper, right?

freewhatnow.png

_Rick_

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2012
Why shouldn't the Russians be worried about a forward nuclear ops base that is being reinforced with long range bombers?

This is merely a response, saying "well, if you increase your East-Asia capability, remember that this is -our- region of interest".
Guam is four times closer to Russia, than to mainland US.
Relocating the Okinawa base there is one thing, but stationing B2s another.

Also, lol at the article claiming nuclear weapons in the first paragraph, and later adding "possibly nuclear or conventional weapons".

oynaz

Platinum Member
May 14, 2003
The article makes a valiant effort to make this seem remarkable, but isn't stuff like this rather routine?

Scotteq

Diamond Member
Apr 10, 2008
The article makes a valiant effort to make this seem remarkable, but isn't stuff like this rather routine?

When I was in the Navy 20 years ago, such flights were routine. I can't imagine much has changed since.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Granted, I'm not a news junkie nor am I making an astute observation of the story, but I'm not the only one who misread the title of that newspaper, right?

freewhatnow.png
No you did not. It is a guy thing, to see bacon wherever possible.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Why shouldn't the Russians be worried about a forward nuclear ops base that is being reinforced with long range bombers?

This is merely a response, saying "well, if you increase your East-Asia capability, remember that this is -our- region of interest".
Guam is four times closer to Russia, than to mainland US.
Relocating the Okinawa base there is one thing, but stationing B2s another.

Also, lol at the article claiming nuclear weapons in the first paragraph, and later adding "possibly nuclear or conventional weapons".

This.

Just love Bolton adding in his usual chicken hawk bullshit.

“Every day brings new evidence that Obama’s ideological obsession with dismantling our nuclear deterrent is dangerous,” Bolton said. “Our national security is in danger of slipping off the national agenda even as the threats grow.”

Cold war is over; get over it man.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
The free beacon is a conservative rag that just incites idiot wingnuts.

First graph
"Two Russian nuclear-armed bombers circled the western Pacific island of Guam this week in the latest sign of Moscow’s growing strategic assertiveness toward the United States."

Of course, there is no support for the nuclear-armed part. Then they get a quote from John Bolton :rolleyes:

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
This.

Just love Bolton adding in his usual chicken hawk bullshit.

“Every day brings new evidence that Obama’s ideological obsession with dismantling our nuclear deterrent is dangerous,” Bolton said. “Our national security is in danger of slipping off the national agenda even as the threats grow.”

Cold war is over; get over it man.

I was going to comment on Bolton. It's hilarious that he is even used as a source for this. No one has ever given a shit about what he thinks. It's good that he sits on his couch at home with zero influence.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Oohh...the Russians remembered how to fuel up a 60 year old prop plane and fly it in circles. I'm more worried about them crashing it into something because they're drunk.

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
This news story is utter shit. They claim the bombers were armed with nuclear missiles. How the hell would the "Free Beacon" know that?