Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 939 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Russian "General", Ramzan Kadyrov, claims Russian ownership over Europe.
Perfectly sane and rational actors those Russians.

But I suppose if you spend enough time sniffing your own supply, and believed Russia was fighting NATO already, then why wouldn't they expect to keep on marching towards the Atlantic Ocean?

Top Putin Ally Says He ‘Will Not Hide’ Intention to Invade Poland Anymore
“What if, after the successful completion of the NMD, Russia begins to denazify and demilitarize the next country? After all, after Ukraine, Poland is on the map! I will not hide that I personally have such an intention,” Kadyrov said on Telegram. “I personally have such an intention, and I have repeatedly stated that the fight against Satanism should continue throughout Europe and, first of all, on the territory of Poland.”
“The special [military] operation will be over before the end of this year. European countries will admit they have been wrong, the West will fall to its knees, and, as usual, European countries will have to cooperate with the Russian Federation in all spheres,” Kadyrov said, according to TASS. “There should not and will never be an alternative to that.”

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

But I suppose if you spend enough time sniffing your own supply, and believed Russia was fighting NATO already, then why wouldn't they expect to keep on marching towards the Atlantic Ocean?

“What if, after the successful completion of the NMD, Russia begins to denazify and demilitarize the next country? After all, after Ukraine, Poland is on the map! I will not hide that I personally have such an intention,” Kadyrov said on Telegram. “I personally have such an intention, and I have repeatedly stated that the fight against Satanism should continue throughout Europe and, first of all, on the territory of Poland.”
“The special [military] operation will be over before the end of this year. European countries will admit they have been wrong, the West will fall to its knees, and, as usual, European countries will have to cooperate with the Russian Federation in all spheres,” Kadyrov said, according to TASS. “There should not and will never be an alternative to that.”
This is internal posturing within Russia. The more they lose the more outlandish claims they make.

Reactions: hal2kilo and RnR_au

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
I was 16 when we had that class meeting and all the boys signed up. Sophomore high school. Anyone else here go through the same? 1983

What year was this? When I was of age there wasn't any class meetings to register for the draft (selective service).

I'm 68 and the age for registration has been 18 as far as I can remember.

Last edited:

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
I was 16 when we had that class meeting and all the boys signed up. Sophomore high school. Anyone else here go through the same? 1983

Looked it up:

1917 to 1920
All men aged 21 to 30 were required to enlist for military service for a service period of 12 months. Discontinued in 1920.

1940 to 1947
It originally conscripted all men aged 21 to 35 for a service period of 12 months. In 1941 the military service period was extended to 18 months; later that year the age bracket was increased to include men aged 18 to 37.

1948 to 1969
All men 18 years and older had to register with the Selective Service. All men between the ages of 18 to 25 were eligible to be drafted for a service requirement of 21 months. This was followed by a commitment for either 12 consecutive months of active service or 36 consecutive months of service in the reserves, with a statutory term of military service set at a minimum of five years total.

1969 to 1975
In 1971, the Military Selective Service Act was further amended to make registration compulsory; all men had to register within a period 30 days before and 29 days after their 18th birthdays.
On 27 January 1973, Secretary of Defense Melvin R. Laird announced the creation of an all-volunteer armed forces, negating the need for the military draft.

1980 to present
retroactively re-establishing the Selective Service registration requirement for all 18- to 26-year-old male citizens born on or after 1 January 1960.[27] As a result, only men born between 29 March 1957, and 31 December 1959, were completely exempt from Selective Service registration.

Reactions: fskimospy

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002

Wow!

It looks like someone picked the wrong week to quit...whatever this Orc has done to his brain.

Airplane-Lloyd-Bridges-e1594991973946.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Jaskalas

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Hey coward, put your dysfunction over Russian history aside for a moment and address RnR-au's McFaul quotes.

You've done nothing in this thread but shill for and defend violent fascism committing war crimes. How about an encore performance?

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
Too bad most would rather see more death and destruction then a peace agreement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you're saying we're stupid like turkeys.

Well I nave news for you:

The turkeys will always vote for thanksgiving and christmas as long as it's not their own necks on the butcher's board!

And it's not our necks, its the Russkies necks!

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I hope Ukraine enjoys and puts to good use Eurofighter and Storm Shadow.

He's headed to Paris next to meet Macron and Scholz together.

How many Typhoons we talkin? ~50 Ukrainian pilots getting 3 months with Hawks is all well and good, but are they actually getting Eurofighters? Even though I wish Sweden had made with the Gripens months ago, Eurofighter is great so sure, get'em in there. Meteor time. Hell give them old Tornadoes, Ukraine will make them work.

Zelenskyy with Sunak there, haha. That is the face of a man who is done hearin bullshit.

Reactions: [DHT]Osiris

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
How many Typhoons we talkin? ~50 Ukrainian pilots getting 3 months with Hawks is all well and good, but are they actually getting Eurofighters? Even though I wish Sweden had made with the Gripens months ago, Eurofighter is great so sure, get'em in there. Meteor time. Hell give them old Tornadoes, Ukraine will make them work.

Zelenskyy with Sunak there, haha. That is the face of a man who is done hearin bullshit.

All Tranche 1 Eurofighter Typhoons are supposed to be retired from the RAF by end of next year IIRC. Probably 25-30 available that could be provided to Ukraine plus spares. Reportedly most of the airframes are fairly low hours so a lot of life left in the platform.

Reactions: kage69

itsmydamnation

Platinum Member
Feb 6, 2011
yeah if they can get a few eruoflighter "partners" that can run air superiority and long range strike and then F-16 partners and they can run CAS / SEAD. The good thing about those two platforms is lots of planes about.

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
yeah if they can get a few eruoflighter "partners" that can run air superiority and long range strike and then F-16 partners and they can run CAS / SEAD. The good thing about those two platforms is lots of planes about.

I am the last person to underestimate Ukraine's abilities, but using scarce airframes for CAS would be unwise. Simply too many SAM of various capabilities in the field, but some limited SEAD via stuff like HARM would be manageable risk. I'd prefer to see them get them to shoot down cruise missiles and continue to keep the VKS at bay. Or if they get them, to launch ALCM's.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003

A man unwilling to see the difference between murder and self-defense anyway. How his tune would change were it Brazilian civilians getting blown to pieces or tortured/raped before being executed.

I'm glad that fascist fuck Balsonaro is gone, but Lula is off to a bad start here. What a shame he isn't interested in helping end the war and suffering sooner as opposed to later.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I am the last person to underestimate Ukraine's abilities, but using scarce airframes for CAS would be unwise. Simply too many SAM of various capabilities in the field, but some limited SEAD via stuff like HARM would be manageable risk. I'd prefer to see them get them to shoot down cruise missiles and continue to keep the VKS at bay. Or if they get them, to launch ALCM's.

Anything they can mount a Meteor on is going to strongly discourage the VKS from being too adventurous.

Reactions: rommelrommel

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
As the article mentions, he may be squeezed by needing Russian fertiliser imports.

Yeah I didn't sign up for it. Offhand I'd say Brazil should try to follow Turkey's lead. Russia needs the money. The leverage involved isn't the same as with Turkey, granted, but I'd say do the essential business to prevent hunger while you can, but support (openly or not) the opposition to this illegal Russian invasion so it ends. Having it drag on, so Russia can do this all again sometime relatively soon, means all this food insecurity happens again. Brazil should be trying to supplement and replace with bio fertilizers, as Spain and Holland are doing. Brazil needs it at scale, but I'm curious if it would be to maintain food levels for the populace, or is this so corporations can still export food for profit? As a rule I'm fine with asking corporations to tighten their belts, rather than people. As a practical matter I think it would be wise for those dependent on Russian ferts to look at the ever shrinking exports and realize they're not really going to improve. Sanctions are slowly dissolving Russian infrastructure. The way out with no future invasions and famines is for Ukraine to win, and that will happen as long as they have the ammo and weapons they need. Ukrainians know a thing or two about hunger Lula, how about a little solidarity among food loving democracies? Is there no chance of getting ferts from Canada, China, the US or Morocco? After seeing what Germany accomplished at home regarding business with Russia, I don't think it's out of place to expect Brazil to be able to do something.

Last edited:
Reactions: igor_kavinski