Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 760 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Watching Putin flail in Ukraine has to be sort of a horrible vicarious experience for Xi of everything that could possibly go wrong for China if they used force against Taiwan.

Xi also knows a loser when he sees one and Putin's Russia is that loser.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
I hadn't heard about it, I guess you're talking about this:

I always seem to like Ken Burns' docs. I bought Jazz, The National Parks, the country music series, have seen others. I hope he and his team "did it right." I am in the middle of reading Viktor E. Frankl's (Auschwitz survivor who's family was murdered) "Man's Search for Meaning." I have read a lot of stuff about WW II and the holocaust.

German American Bund - Wikipedia
1939 Nazi rally at Madison Square Garden - Wikipedia
A Night at The Garden - Field of Vision - YouTube

It is all disturbingly familiar.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
We have always had prominent enemies of freedom:

you realize that Lindbergh, that enemy of freedom, advocated capitulating to Hitler's demands to own Europe and begin genocide "for peace," just as you seem to do wrg to Putin here. You understand this, correct?

No one wants war. It's entirely possible to urge for peace and the end of war as well as understand that finishing the war is the only option--because when a madman has his teeth on the bit, there are few other options. Peace is only achieved now with the elimination of Russia in all of Ukraine, and the end of Putin and his regime. That's it. There is no peace until Putin is gone and Ukraine is rid of the Russian cancer. That's the first step.

Surely you must understand that if you wish for peace? Or would you rather continuing to let Putin do just as he's done for 15+ years now? Maybe this time, if we just listen to him, he will "stop invading other countries?" :D

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000

And even before that, there was perhaps a failed putsch to install a Hitler-friendly military junta in the United States--paid for by capitalism.

I guess the Supreme Court's decision in Citizen's United makes it easier to try again though...

Gonna go see that movie "Amsterdam" but I hear it isn't very good...

Reactions: Number1 and Leeea

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
screenshot-2022-10-07-191956-jpg.68822

It's not Elon Musk's job to sort out the Russian-Ukraine war scenario. He doesn't even have a security clearance AFAIK. :rolleyes:

So he isn't allowed to share his opinion because it isn't his job? Should we stop sharing our opinions on Anandtech also because it isn't our job?

Reactions: Young Grasshopper

dawheat

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
If the victim would just stop struggling and people would stop trying to help him, this could be over quicker and we could have peace.

Alternately - she should just accept being raped because he might try to kill her instead.

There is one path for peace that doesn't reward aggression - for the aggressor to leave.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
Hard to say, hitting a consulate is typically not the same as hitting an embassy.

Pretty sure it was specifically targeted. Germany is considered to be the weakest* member in NATO. Looks like a pick at the edges and set precedence plan.

I doubt Russia has the ability to hit a specific consulate if they tried.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Ukraine energy production is under strain as infrastructure receives missile strikes.

This is in preparation for both winter, to kill as many people from the cold as possible, AND... to prep the ground for an ALL OUT mobilized invasion from the north, through Belarus.

#Ukraine suspends the export of electricity to the #EU due to shelling of energy facilities.

Four Russian missiles hit the Burshtyn Thermal Power Plant (TPP) in Ivano-Frankivsk Oblast during a Russian mass missile attack on the morning of Oct. 10

Young Grasshopper

Nov 9, 2007
If the victim would just stop struggling and people would stop trying to help him, this could be over quicker and we could have peace.

Alternately - she should just accept being raped because he might try to kill her instead.

There is one path for peace that doesn't reward aggression - for the aggressor to leave.

Try telling the US government that considering we spent 20 years bombing the fuck out of Afghanistan.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
you realize that Lindbergh, that enemy of freedom, advocated capitulating to Hitler's demands to own Europe and begin genocide "for peace," just as you seem to do wrg to Putin here. You understand this, correct?

No one wants war. It's entirely possible to urge for peace and the end of war as well as understand that finishing the war is the only option--because when a madman has his teeth on the bit, there are few other options. Peace is only achieved now with the elimination of Russia in all of Ukraine, and the end of Putin and his regime. That's it. There is no peace until Putin is gone and Ukraine is rid of the Russian cancer. That's the first step.

Surely you must understand that if you wish for peace? Or would you rather continuing to let Putin do just as he's done for 15+ years now? Maybe this time, if we just listen to him, he will "stop invading other countries?" :D
I think you misunderstand the nature of my post ...

Those who are arguing in favor of Russia horrors today are repeating of history, the history of those who argued in favor of the Nazi horror.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
So he isn't allowed to share his opinion because it isn't his job? Should we stop sharing our opinions on Anandtech also because it isn't our job?

Yeah he can say whatever he likes but if what he wants to say is essentially the modern equivalent of "Let Germany have the Sudetenland" he best be prepared for how such a view would be received.

Young Grasshopper

Nov 9, 2007
If they can hit a small pedestrian bridge they can hit a specific building.

They got lucky hitting that bridge. From some research I've done, it seems like accuracy is not a strength of theirs and never has been. This goes back to the cold war when they couldn't compete with US accuracy, they 'made up for it' by building bigger nukes. Also if you ever notice propaganda videos they release demonstrating their MRLS systems, they always have multiple systems firing to make up for their lack of accuracy. So rather than using one rocket to hit a target, they will use 10. Probably explains why you see missile strikes creating potholes in Ukrainian streets instead of hitting their intended targets.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Who is “we”? Because there is injustice all over the world, and I don’t want my countries dragged all over and expected to be the police.

You question who "we" are? That displays ignorance of who America, Russia, and Europe are.
Familiarize yourself with geopolitics following World War 2.

Of the Cold War. Of America and Europe's relationship. Of NATO and the world's vow of "never again" following the holocaust. Granted, people do lots of terrible things throughout the world. But this is Europe we are talking about. They are Western Civilization and they are our Allies. As a border state, Ukraine had a population of 44 million. Putin's genocidal invasion has displaced well over 10 million people, many of them fleeing into NATO countries as refugees. That number could easily swell past 22 million.

This directly affects "us". This is our war, these are our people and we must put an end to their slaughter. We must step in to fight and defeat our Russian opponents.

This year, 2022, Putin turned the Cold War Hot. Instead of watching Russia expand to the Polish border, NATO must meet the Russians at their border. To do anything less in the face of Genocide is a disgrace. We did not start this, but we damn well better end this!

Reactions: Number1 and Leeea

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Ukraine to receive 2 NASAMS soon but unfortunately due to long lead times more will take a while to deliver.

Hopefully by the end of October Ukraine will possess the 2 NASAMS, 1 IRIS-T, and an unspecified number of SPADA 2000s. France is likely persuadable to supply some SAMP-T.

I wouldn't be opposed to diverting Saudi Arabia's PAC-3 order...

Young Grasshopper

Nov 9, 2007
You question who "we" are? That displays ignorance of who America, Russia, and Europe are.
Familiarize yourself with geopolitics following World War 2.

Of the Cold War. Of America and Europe's relationship. Of NATO and the world's vow of "never again" following the holocaust. Granted, people do lots of terrible things throughout the world. But this is Europe we are talking about. They are Western Civilization and they are our Allies. As a border state, Ukraine had a population of 44 million. Putin's genocidal invasion has displaced well over 10 million people, many of them fleeing into NATO countries as refugees. That number could easily swell past 22 million.

This directly affects "us". This is our war, these are our people and we must put an end to their slaughter. We must step in to fight and defeat our Russian opponents.

This year, 2022, Putin turned the Cold War Hot. Instead of watching Russia expand to the Polish border, NATO must meet the Russians at their border. To do anything less in the face of Genocide is a disgrace. We did not start this, but we damn well better end this!

If Ukraine is so important to EU and NATO, why does NATO keep rejecting Ukraine's membership in NATO? Why is it able to fast track Finland and Sweden and not Ukraine? They have rejected Ukraine into NATO membership several times because they don't want direct confrontation with Russia, but they are perfectly fine with using Ukrainians as cannon fodder to fight Russia.

NATO is using Ukraine as a tool to weaken Russia. That's it. Nothing more. And it looks like the people of EU are already paying the price for it: