Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 734 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
2 hours ago DW ( German state media ) stated Russian troops surrounded in Lyman:

Important:
This video has snippets of the videos people are claiming that Ukraine took Lyman in it. DW is not claiming Ukraine took Lyman, but rather Ukraine has surrounded Russians in Lyman.

As far as I am concerned, this is confirmation of my speculation that Ukraine did not fully capture Lyman.

Well then call it a penal colony right now if you want, but Liman is now effectively and unambiguously under control of the UA.

Reactions: Leeea

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
Well then call it a penal colony right now if you want, but Liman is now effectively and unambiguously under control of the UA.
I will compromise with most of the city is under control of the Ukrainian Army.

However, until the Russian's surrender or are wiped out, it is not fully captured. I imagine m777s moving into position to end this as we speculate here.

Last edited:

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
Re: Lyman speculation....
Here is some idea of what the Ukrainians are doing. And heck, this doesn't even appear to be in the city. Unless it is fake...?

Do not think it is fake.

Russian units attempted to infiltrate through advancing Ukrainian units in the forest last night to flee Lyman. Complete chaos erupted. A whole bunch likely went to ground and are hiding in the forest. This is likely going after those units.

This is also Psyops. We know from one of your posts that Ukrainian units and Russian units were intermixed in the forest last night. This is the UA claiming they won the battle to discourage remaining Russian soldiers hiding in the forest from continuing the battle and encourage disconnected Ukrainian units also in the forest reestablish command, control, and resupply.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jaskalas

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
same guys who went through google maps to assess rus vehicle storage yards near the start of the war decided to pay for sat imaging of before and after the start of the war. they have some updated numbers and corrections.
seems globalsecurity.org needs to start doing their own research.

Reactions: Leeea

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Clearing that out may delay further Ukrainian advances. Hope not....

why clear it out, though? or at least, spend significant time and resources on doing it so quickly--like I said, just treat it has a penal colony and entrap them so that the primary advance forces can focus on killing more Russians along the front.

Obviously, the concern for any UKR citizens remaining in Liman is serious and should not be ignored, but I don't see why you can't put the backline, international volunteers in charge of cleaning it out. I mean, we can just ignore that because I imagine that these duties aren't relegated to the elite advance troops, anyway, so dealing with Liman asap probably wouldn't be slowing down any advance.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
As I"ve pointed out several times there is no record of what the US has said the response will be. We know it will be noisey but the White House has failed, for its own purposes I guess, unless it hasn't made up its mind, to be specific, on the record. One feature armchair Generals like to opine is that the response will be non nuclear. I doubt that . Let Pukin play with his toys but NATO hides theirs under the bed ? Don't think so. One USAF General (Ret) said the US would likely take out the Black fleet. No one else has bothered to enlighten everyone which I think is a foolish strategy. Pukin may get the sense there is a resistence to go to the mat if the US cannot be specific about it.
Edit Perhaps the US has been specific and is keeping everyone else in the dark ?
From the interviews I've seen the response is most likely going to be non-nuclear so as not to escalte. An example given was sinking the Russian Navy in the Black Sea. WH has been talking to Russia directly, not sure if they laid out exact consequences.

Reactions: zinfamous and Leeea

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I really think that, by this point,Russia is better off with him alive. Martyrs can foment very impassioned actions…

Keeping him alive, gives Ukraine someone who can issue a ceasefire before the military reaches Moscow.
You strike Kyiv, decent chance Ukrainians don't stop until Russia dies.

Reactions: Leeea and cytg111

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
The Russian talking heads are slowly moving the discussion points towards a fully fledged war declaration on Ukraine allowing full war mobilisation across the economy and public assets;

the troll-looking sonny bono guy will be getting windowed by the end of this night, think....

how dare he criticize the Russian failures this week, let alone mentioning that it even happened on public propaganda sphere.

bad news.

Rupert needs to whip him a few more.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Sounds like Ukraine is pushing farther into Kherson.

Russians are on the wrong side of the river. Only reason they are still there... Russia kept throwing more meat into the grinder. And Ukraine is very interested to know just how much of a sacrifice Russia is willing to make for a completely untenable position. I figure at some point the Russians, after month(s) of begging the Kremlin for a smarter defensive line... are simply going to collapse on this front. It really doesn't matter how many Russian corpses Putin wants, the military will not bleed out forever.

Meanwhile, we push on past Lyman!