Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 402 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Which is yet another example of how incredibly obvious the Russian failure is. If the 'Kyiv was only a ruse, we were after the Donbas the whole time!' fiction was reality, they would have pissed away thousands of shitty recruits and conscripts on Kyiv, and fucked the whole eastern region up with elite forces w/air support, not the other way around.

Meanwhile some of the pics of L/DNR conscripts they are pushing into battle are something. I'm better armed than they are.

Reactions: [DHT]Osiris

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Kind of a long read ... some excerpts .....

“It’s stunning,” said military historian Frederick Kagan of the Institute for the Study of War, who says he knows of no parallel to a major military power like Russia invading a country at the time of its choosing and failing so utterly.
Fact is, historically a country could build up an invasion force and surprise attack. With modern satellite imagery, no longer possible.

Ukraine knew for more than a month that the Russians were readying an assault, had time to strategize their reactions. Tons of people poo pooed the chances of an invasion, saying Putin wouldn't, but I figured it was coming for sure. The buildup was steady. 100,000, after a couple more weeks 150,000, then 180,000+. It was clear to me that the trouble and expense and difficulties of making an imminent invasion possible and maintaining that for many weeks and continuing to augment it had nothing to do with "exercises," wasn't done for provocation, it had no purpose other than to actually invade. The Olympics loomed and the writing was on the wall that once over, the invasion would happen and it did within a few days.

Reactions: Racan

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
shame India is still allowing Russia to bypass sanctions, essentially funding these atrocities
I decided to boycott China a few days ago. I guess I'll have to add India now. Biden said he'd sanction China if they sided with Russia. Wonder if he thinks the same about India.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Eradicating someone as if they were never there.

As an aside....have you watched Foundation on Apple TV+? There was a scene in which a girl is actually wiped out as if she was never there....Episode 10 (season finale). Girl gardener is sentenced to life in sensory deprivation and every person she's ever known and all those that know of her in any respect (a little over 2,000 souls), are killed instantly just before she's put into sensory deprivation permanently. By the time she's put into sensory deprivation permanently, no one knows who she is or cares. Chilling. Gives me the willies to actually consider that punishment.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
I decided to boycott China a few days ago. I guess I'll have to add India now. Biden said he'd sanction China if they sided with Russia. Wonder if he thinks the same about India.

Understand your sentiment....but how do you plan on ever buying another computer? Hard to find a motherboard that's not made in China.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
As an aside....have you watched Foundation on Apple TV+? There was a scene in which a girl is actually wiped out as if she was never there....Episode 10 (season finale). Girl gardener is sentenced to life in sensory deprivation and every person she's ever known and all those that know of her in any respect (a little over 2,000 souls), are killed instantly just before she's put into sensory deprivation permanently. By the time she's put into sensory deprivation permanently, no one knows who she is or cares. Chilling. Gives me the willies to actually consider that punishment.
Yeah, good example of the kind of power a real 'capable' authoritarian society can bring to bear. Like legitimately track every person you've ever associated with, and everyone that knows them, and simply disappear the whole lot over the course of a few days. Scrub all records of all systems that person is officially a part of, so they essentially never existed.

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
I have to say that the Simpsons basically nailed this one

View attachment 59590
What is ironic and scary all at the same time, is that the Simpson's seems to nail a lot of things, long before they took place. Think about it, a fucking cartoon/animation that has been out since 1989, has predicted a lot of what is happening now, long before it took place... is the human race that predictable?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
It leads the mind to WW2 and gas chambers… Eradicating someone as if they were never there.
Saw where right now, 10's of thousands Ukrainians have been been transported to Russia in "filtration" camps (i.e. concentration camps, right?) in Russia, their passports and cellphones confiscated. The woman who reported this said to the effect that she didn't need to explain what this brings to mind, ... well, we know it was the trainloads of Jews and others sent to Nazi concentration camps. Russia is using the Nazi playbook here. Monsters! And their war crimes seem to me no different than those of the Nazis!

Ukraine's Deputy Prime Minister Iryna Vereshchuk said 40,000 had been moved from Ukraine to Russian-held territory without any coordination with Kyiv.

Reactions: cytg111

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
What is ironic and scary all at the same time, is that the Simpson's seems to nail a lot of things, long before they took place. Think about it, a fucking cartoon/animation that has been out since 1989, has predicted a lot of what is happening now, long before it took place... is the human race that predictable?
Yes, yes we are.

Some are a little more absurd, like the Trump/Greta Thunburg madness, but as a whole you can pretty well predict what most humans will do in most situations. Remarkable stories tend to come out of situations where people act outside of the norm.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Saw where right now, 10's of thousands Ukrainians have been been transported to Russia in "filtration" camps (i.e. concentration camps, right?) in Russia, their passports and cellphones confiscated. The woman who reported this said to the effect that she didn't need to explain what this brings to mind, ... well, we know it was the trainloads of Jews and others sent to Nazi concentration camps. Russia is using the Nazi playbook here. Monsters! And their war crimes seem to me no different than those of the Nazis!

Don't even need to compare them to the Nazis. This is basically all the Soviet hits from the 30s thru the early 50s yet again.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I have to say that the Simpsons basically nailed this one

View attachment 59590

Not quite - at least, that ought to be Stalin reanimating rather than Lenin. Or maybe a long-dead Czar.

Putin is not in any sense a communist and is not interested in rebuilding the USSR. In fact he specifically cited overturning the legacy of Lenin as part of his rationale for this war. His idols are the more-successful of the Czars - plus Stalin, but with all the Leninism taken out.

The most obvious divide between Lenin and Stalin was on the question of 'national minorities'. It's probably not sustainable to argue that Lenin was less despotic or in any sense more tolerant of dissent than Stalin, but one thing he definitely was not was a Russian nationalist. He was prepared to see Russia itself collapse if it meant spreading communism to what he considered the more advanced countries of Europe. That's why Putin and the other Russian nationalists denounce him.

Edit I know I already said this the last time the Simpsons clip came up, but the inaccurate conflation of Putin and the old USSR keeps coming up. Even the Guardian ran a stupid cartoon with a slathering Putin-bear clutching a hammer-and-sickle. Putin is just another right-wing nationalist.

Last edited:
Reactions: KMFJD

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Understand your sentiment....but how do you plan on ever buying another computer? Hard to find a motherboard that's not made in China.
Within reason, then. I won't be religious about it but if I can find a reasonable alternative to buying a Made in China or Made in India item, I figure go with that.

Reactions: Meghan54

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Not quite - at least, that ought to be Stalin reanimating rather than Lenin. Or maybe a long-dead Czar.

Putin is not in any sense a communist and is not interested in rebuilding the USSR. In fact he specifically cited overturning the legacy of Lenin as part of his rationale for this war. His idols are the more-successful of the Czars - plus Stalin, but with all the Leninism taken out.

The most obvious divide between Lenin and Stalin was on the question of 'national minorities'. It's probably not sustainable to argue that Lenin was less despotic or in any sense more tolerant of dissent than Stalin, but one thing he definitely was not was a Russian nationalist. He was prepared to see Russia itself collapse if it meant spreading communism to what he considered the more advanced countries of Europe. That's why Putin and the other Russian nationalists denounce him.

I do hope you don't explain why people's jokes are wrong at parties.

Reactions: Thump553

Dave_5k

Golden Member
May 23, 2017
Within reason, then. I won't be religious about it but if I can find a reasonable alternative to buying a Made in China or Made in India item, I figure go with that.
I think Gigabyte still manufactures motherboards in Taiwan as one (maybe only?) rare exception to China, but they still use components from China.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
And the snake that precipitated this to occur has caused permanent damage in the service of Putin.

Trump's trashing of Ukraine pays off for Russia: Republicans vote to reject NATO — and democracy | Salon.com

A couple of weeks ago, some Republican senators took to the microphones to declare that the war in Ukraine has shown that Democrats are a bunch of weaklings who can't defend America. What a shocker? One of them even called Joe Biden "Bambi's brother." But despite their fist-shaking, you could see they were just going through the motions. That's because they know their party is hopelessly confused about what they need to do to appeal to their base on foreign policy these days. Elected GOP officials are all over the map on this issue, with a growing faction becoming more hostile to support Ukraine by the day.

It's actually not unprecedented for Republicans to vote against military action instigated by Democratic presidents and it isn't even unprecedented for them to refuse to back NATO. Back in the '90s, many of them voted against intervention in the Balkans region after the former Yugoslavia splintered, even in the face of ethnic cleansing and genocide. The House GOP leader at the time, Tom Delay of Texas, said he didn't trust the president and claimed the crisis was "falsely described as a huge humanitarian problem, when in comparison to other places, it was nothing." ( It was not nothing.)

I think what he said accurately summed up the thinking of many Republicans at the time. Their hatred for Clinton was so overwhelming they simply could not support anything he did and frankly, they just didn't care about all those war crimes. If anything, they were sympathetic to the Serbian strongman who had been terrorizing the region for most of the decade, Slobodan Milošević, who was eventually found guilty of war crimes by the International Criminal Court in The Hague.

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
Haven’t seen a current video of Putin in quite some time now. Or maybe I missed it?

I would expect Putin to be banging the drums of war on state tv everyday, but I don’t really know what Putin’s propaganda SOP is during his many genocides.