Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 319 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
I don't like the one image that they show. It's a different number of destroyed units from those deployed, between the two images--you can maybe interpret them to be the same, but it requires "Story creating" by the reader...and also, tanks and infantry lined up are also on the opposite side of the road of the image of the destroyed units, that are supposed to be them.

Don't like it. Needs better data.
I think they are showing stalled tanks low on fuel in the top image and the convoy of supply trucks destroyed by drones below. But I agree whether the two are directly connected is unverifiable essentially.
Yeah that's what the image states, i don't think you'd be able to actually do that much damage with those grenades on the tanks, trucks carrying fuel however is a different story, you stop the logistics you stop those thirsty tanks

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
yeah that is some wild imagery. It also tells me that their only back-up/basic training was to simply fortify and wait?

They have no plan to retreat, I guess, which means UK needs to counterattack quickly and prevent most of their line from fortifying...which I dunno. How is that really possible at this point?

It seems that UK can still push through enough breakpoint to prevent circling of Kyiv and other major cities, some occupied which are also being liberated, and if major counterattack operations that are being reported are real...I'm not sure how a backup plan to dig in and fortify is going to work.

The air is still bad for RU. Yeah, we're seeing the remnant of an RU trench encampment, which means that one didn't win, but it still tells us that this is how their front is responding. They don't plan to leave. They don't really have another option...or they really just don't fucking know what to do right now.

It looks like UK can still push through some of these posts and instead of destroying all of them, just fan out behind them and make sure that they can't complete the circle, but also destroy all the supply, and artillery that is getting close to them.

Build the Caesar wall between 2 enemy fronts again, and of the same army. But if only one side of that army that you face is supply, how can you not win quickly?

But, UK needs to push them back to Belarus I think. They can't just rest if they think RU is fortifying. I hope they can keep pushing them and working on the border crossings.
They honestly don't have to do much. Keep pressure on the supply lines, and those silly shits will be starving in those trenches within a few days. Defensive fortifications mean little without supplies.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
When I see pictures of Mars I still imagine a Mars once alive and vibrant as is the earth of today, then the technology of war went terribly terribly wrong and the Mars of today could be the earth of tomorrow. Steven Spielberg needs to make a movie about THAT. ;)

Well, Mars _is_ the God of war.

While Venus is the God of...er...runaway climate change, apparently.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
After reading and watching news reports on Mariupol, it’s just like Aleppo and Grozny all over again. Electricity, water and NG are cut off. Food is running out, the Russians were even 'kind' enough to bomb a huge food warehouse with 15,000 tons of food supplies in it. The apartment buildings are decimated, heavy damage, all windows blown out and even the exterior concrete walls are charred from the bombs and ensuing fires. People do not even know where to bury their beloved dead. Residents are scurrying around looking for food, water and wood to make fires to keep warm. They are living in conditions only suitable for rats. Humanitarian relief convoys are being turned back. It's yet another shocking human tragedy.

I'm 58. I'm no longer of fighting age, or, at present, not even fit to fight. I am not a tough guy. I’ve been interested in the military for decades, as my father was in the army and worked as a civilian for the Army at two different military installations - I grew up with it and had friends from military families. I think I understand that while very few human affairs can be solved through war - there are times, not as rare as they should be, that can only be resolved by military might and power.

All that said; I'm coming to the end of my rope when it comes to this war of Russian aggression in Ukraine. In fucking Europe!! I understand Biden's caution, and his and other NATO country's need to protect their own citizens. But now we are more united than we have been in two decades. We need to build up a large enough force in Poland, and perhaps Romania (if they’ll let us) to create a credible threat to Russian forces in Ukraine 🇺🇦. I believe we must do it now. We must tell the Russians that we will intervene if they continue this war. We must force serious negotiations, negotiations that are backed by the full weight and power of our military alliance with Europe. Sanctions will not stop the bloodshed, and the Ukrainian people have done more than enough to prove their willingness to sacrifice for the survival of their nation. How is it possible that we refrain from, at least the willingness, to sacrifice blood and treasure in complete solidarity with them.

This is a defining moment. A time for the West to show that we stand behind the values we share. The reasonable and intrinsic values that declare a right to life, liberty and fraternity. The ability to strive for happiness and prosperity for one’s self and family. We are not currently being led by idiotic and corrupt men as was the case with GWB's administration. We are not going to turn to full out war in a land where we have no business in being, with a people we do not understand. We fought two wars to try to being peace to Europe. It is time for NATO to stand up for peace in Europe today. I believe that when we put a large army on the western border of Ukraine, Putin will do what all bullies do; puff out his chest and threaten us with nuclear annihilation. And then, if the FSB and military fail to take him out, he will bargain with us and then get the fuck out of dodge and go run his diminutive and corrupt little kingdom till he is deposed or dies. If he doesn’t negotiate at first, which almost certainly he will, we start moving east, with the permission of free Ukraine.

796909BD-2770-4D1A-AE5C-7AD5F3FA5E21.jpeg

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
After reading and watching news reports on Mariupol, it’s just like Aleppo and Grozny all over again. Electricity, water and NG are cut off. Food is running out, the Russians were even 'kind' enough to bomb a huge food warehouse with 15,000 tons of food supplies in it. The apartment buildings are decimated, heavy damage, all windows blown out and even the exterior concrete walls are charred from the bombs and ensuing fires. People do not even know where to bury their beloved dead. Residents are scurrying around looking for food, water and wood to make fires to keep warm. They are living in conditions only suitable for rats. Humanitarian relief convoys are being turned back. It's yet another shocking human tragedy.

I'm 58. I'm no longer of fighting age, or, at present, not even fit to fight. I am not a tough guy. I’ve been interested in the military for decades, as my father was in the army and worked as a civilian for the Army at two different military installations - I grew up with it and had friends from military families. I think I understand that while very few human affairs can be solved through war - there are times, not as rare as they should be, that can only be resolved by military might and power.

All that said; I'm coming to the end of my rope when it comes to this war of Russian aggression in Ukraine. In fucking Europe!! I understand Biden's caution, and his and other NATO country's need to protect their own citizens. But now we are more united than we have been in two decades. We need to build up a large enough force in Poland, and perhaps Romania (if they’ll let us) to create a credible threat to Russian forces in Ukraine 🇺🇦. I believe we must do it now. We must tell the Russians that we will intervene if they continue this war. We must force serious negotiations, negotiations that are backed by the full weight and power of our military alliance with Europe. Sanctions will not stop the bloodshed, and the Ukrainian people have done more than enough to prove their willingness to sacrifice for the survival of their nation. How is it possible that we refrain from, at least the willingness, to sacrifice blood and treasure in complete solidarity with them.

This is a defining moment. A time for the West to show that we stand behind the values we share. The reasonable and intrinsic values that declare a right to life, liberty and fraternity. The ability to strive for happiness and prosperity for one’s self and family. We are not currently being led by idiotic and corrupt men as was the case with GWB's administration. We are not going to turn to full out war in a land where we have no business in being, with a people we do not understand. We fought two wars to try to being peace to Europe. It is time for NATO to stand up for peace in Europe today. I believe that when we put a large army on the western border of Ukraine, Putin will do what all bullies do; puff out his chest and threaten us with nuclear annihilation. And then, if the FSB and military fail to take him out, he will bargain with us and then get the fuck out of dodge and go run his diminutive and corrupt little kingdom till he is deposed or dies. If he doesn’t negotiate at first, which almost certainly he will, we start moving east, with the permission of free Ukraine.

View attachment 58890
Holy shit dude.
Amen.

We do nothing we stand for nothing. My belly full, so who cares right?

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006

View attachment 58890
Nice write up. Ee have to escalate until we see changes on the ground. How this is best done is the question. Killing russian soldiers faster is probably the fastest way and we are already contributing significantly. We should pour more weapons into Ukraine and reinforce all bordering frontiers significantly.

Biden will be in Europe next week and this can only mean more is coming against Russia. Canada has troups on standby.

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Every day there is an anouncement about a dead Russian general! Are russian soldiers shooting them? Or maybe they have a purge going on?

Maybe they are just getting rid of the surplus?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Nice write up. Ee have to escalate until we see changes on the ground. How this is best done is the question. Killing russian soldiers faster is probably the fastest way and we are already contributing significantly. We should pour more weapons into Ukraine and reinforce all bordering frontiers significantly.

Biden will be in Europe next week and this can only mean more is coming against Russia. Canada has troups on standby.

We could beef up their asymmetrical warfare skills. I'm sure the the CIA knows where to hire the appropriate contractors for that. Russian supply lines are simply prime IED targets.

Otherwise yeah Ukraine mostly needs more weapons, food, fuel, medical supplies, general equipment (night vision, personal armor, etc), vehicles, and drones. Russian logistical capacity is finite and shrinking rapidly. Keep at it for another month like this or harder and it will collapse.

Last edited:

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Still hearing rumors that Belarus is gearing up for the war.
Don't know how credible those are, given prior warnings.

If this war expands, and Belarus wants to start a slaughter near the polish border, we need to respond.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

Putin has been trying to prod them in for a while now to little success. The military seems not at all interested despite whatever Lukashenko says.

Reactions: cytg111 and dank69

Leymenaide

Feb 16, 2010
Yesterday Polish radio reported a intercepted phone conversation from Russian soldier to his girlfriend. We were hungry an old Ukranian woman offered us pierogie. Eight of the soldiers died.

First hand reports from refugees is that the Russians are killing civilians indiscriminetly.

Leymenaide

Feb 16, 2010

If this war expands, and Belarus wants to start a slaughter near the polish border, we need to respond.

I fear this is coming. They will have Russian officers and Chechen machineguns in the back making sure they do not retreat.

The Kyiv Independent

@KyivIndependent

⚡️
Ukraine’s General Staff sees high risk of attack from Belarus on western Ukraine. Ukraine’s Armed Forces have said that according to Ukrainian intelligence, in the next several days, Belarus will join Russia in its invasion of Ukraine.

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Yesterday Polish radio reported a intercepted phone conversation from Russian soldier to his girlfriend. We were hungry an old Ukranian woman offered us pierogie. Eight of the soldiers died.

First hand reports from refugees is that the Russians are killing civilians indiscriminetly.
There were also reports of a grandmother shooting down drones with tomato jars recently.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I fear this is coming. They will have Russian officers and Chechen machineguns in the back making sure they do not retreat.

The Kyiv Independent
@KyivIndependent

⚡️
Ukraine’s General Staff sees high risk of attack from Belarus on western Ukraine. Ukraine’s Armed Forces have said that according to Ukrainian intelligence, in the next several days, Belarus will join Russia in its invasion of Ukraine.

I'd expect anybody trying to prod those troops at gunpoint into battle will experience a lot of grenade involved accidents.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Growing up in the 80s just outside of Denver, as a kid I often assumed I'd be fine because Denver was in the middle of the country and it was surrounded by so much nothing.

Why target here? It's not NYC, LA.. it's plains and mountains...

.. musings as we drove past all the missle silos hanging out in the middle of fenced off fields, or down to the air force academy in the Springs, or Cheyenne fking Mountain...

Yeah, we were getting all sorts of missiles inbound if it went to shit...
I was thinking about this yesterday. The question is, would I even register in my mind that the nuclear assault had happened? I might be dead before the thought came to mind.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
that also seems a bit propagandistic and could be used to sway RU opinion against "Nazi Ukrainians," so I treat with a teaspoon of salt.
Can't forget the words I heard on a US network news broadcast early on in the invasion from a war correspondent or similar, "it's oft repeated... the first casualty in war is Truth."

I heard this as well.... sent a chill up my spine. :oops:

How long till Putin sets up "re-education" camps for them?

I sincerely hope anyone in Ukraine that can get out to the West does!
Early on, and I suppose it's still true, word was only women and children are allowed out of Ukraine. Men capable of fighting are required to stay and fight. I believe I heard that's men under 60, and obviously the disabled would be allowed out if they're capable of getting out.